GDT #74: Pens @ Isles

The U

Postby The U » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:46 pm

These games are kind of infuriating to watch. Is it the Pens being nothing more than a regular season team, and as we get closer to the playoffs and playoff officiating, they fade? Or is it other teams starting to peak when you should, going into the playoffs, and the Pens peaked back in the early part of the year when they needed to survive?
I’m not seeing one common theme. Something different each game depending on the opponent/matchup.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:05 am

Not Letang's best effort tonight
you always hear that on a 2 on 1, the D should take the pass and give the goalie the shooter yet time after time, Letang sucks ( :lol: ) over to the shooter. his decision making lately beyond awful.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am

"lately"

Isn't that his whole profile? He's a dummy, but with athleticism and endurance?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:09 am

He’s cleaned up his game the last few years, but his lows are laughable low

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:42 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 am

Not Letang's best effort tonight
you always hear that on a 2 on 1, the D should take the pass and give the goalie the shooter yet time after time, Letang sucks ( :lol: ) over to the shooter. his decision making lately beyond awful.
Without getting into specifics, this is actually kind of an old-school trope that isn't ideal. Just like sliding to block passes in 2 on 1 situations. Or "getting north"/headmanning the puck is what should be done as often as possible. Or that pinching down the wall should be reserved for X situations...etc. it's all old school mularkey...

Yes, you should be trying to deny the pass, of course. But the game doesn't fundamentally change because it's an odd man rush. You still need to slice down the available ice to the shooter. Allowing a semi-breakaway to give yourself a better chance at playing a pass that may not be on the table (handedness) isn't good hockey either...

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:33 am

Without getting into specifics, this is actually kind of an old-school trope that isn't ideal. Just like sliding to block passes in 2 on 1 situations. Or "getting north"/headmanning the puck is what should be done as often as possible. Or that pinching down the wall should be reserved for X situations...etc. it's all old school mularkey...

Yes, you should be trying to deny the pass, of course. But the game doesn't fundamentally change because it's an odd man rush. You still need to slice down the available ice to the shooter. Allowing a semi-breakaway to give yourself a better chance at playing a pass that may not be on the table (handedness) isn't good hockey either...
appreciate the insight. as I was typing I was thinking, "is that an old-school approach?" but at the same time, I'm watching Letang make bad decisions time and time again. he was playing like a stud just a few weeks ago and now it's a disaster again. is he trying to hard to cover for Dumo? is Dumo playing through an injury?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 am

Dumo is probably hurt. He's really had a tough go of it...maybe a core injury or some injury.

Letang made some rough decisions in that game. My least favorite one from a mental framework perspective is actually a pretty simple one. Last shift of overtime. End of the power play. And he decides to make this pass from his own corner...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:15 am

Dumo is probably hurt. He's really had a tough go of it...maybe a core injury or some injury.

Letang made some rough decisions in that game. My least favorite one from a mental framework perspective is actually a pretty simple one. Last shift of overtime. End of the power play. And he decides to make this pass from his own corner...

Yea his OT in general was a disaster and that pass made my head want to explode

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:41 pm

So they need what, one more point to clinch the playoffs? Do you sit Dumolin a while and hope he can recover a bit? If home ice isn't realistic does playoff position matter more or seeing if he can get well? Because I agree I think he's injured.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:17 pm

I highly doubt it's an injury that can be healed in two weeks...