Off Season Moves Thread

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:09 am

It's never too early. :pop:

Goalie:
I'm entirely indifferent, in that they won't be able to have someone around to pick up the slack in case MAF goes down.
Greiss? Someone else off the scrap heap? See if Murray can get his feet wet in a few games?
All of the above. Again, this area is not a problem.

Defensemen:
Letang-Maatta
Cole-Lovejoy
Pouliot-Dumoulin-Chorney

That's a solid foundation, with the allowance for bringing in another vet as is needed.

Dump Scuderi Malcolm X style.
Enjoy your new home and contract, Paul Martin.

Forwards:
Downie - I'm indifferent. More trouble than he's worth? Perhaps
Comeau - Bring him back with the intention of 3/4 line duty.
Bennett - I'm struggling to care whether he ever plays for the Pens again. Sign him, if you must.
Winnik - Meh.
Lapierre - RE-SIGN THIS MAN
Dupuis - I wouldn't count on him ever playing again, but we shall see.
Kunitz - :face:
Sutter - Well, I'll let yinz fight over his destiny..... :slug:

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:07 am

Cole and Lovejoy would be an okay 3rd pairing, I'd rather have the combo you have out up for 3rd pair. In truth I say you let the youth play next year, Harrington, Doumolin, Poiliott, Despres... Whoops. I meant bring back Cole.

shmenguin

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby shmenguin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:48 am

Lovejoy is still lovejoy. He's a 15 minute player. If he's in the top 4 we're screwed.

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:52 am

Something must be done to rid this team of Rob Scuderi.

I'd be in favor of dumping Bennett for a pick, but only if it's a 3rd/4th rounder. Anything lower than that and I bring him back for another year.

Young guys need to play on defense, but I would like to sign a defenseman with a bit of an edge to him. That group could use some more physicality.

I'd like to see Kunitz sent to browner pastures, but I have no idea why anyone would want him.

Bring back Comeau and Lapierre, help Perron remember how to play hockey, and be extremely aggressive at gettin a top six forward. Try free agency. Offer up Maatta and/or Pouliot just to see what you're offered in return. Maybe Dumoulin's playoffs turned him into worthwhile trade bait.

Go like five seasons without trading a first or second round pick.

Tico Rick

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 am

Interesting DK article on the Pens' future. I agree with pretty much everything he says:

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04 ... ith-wings/

As others have said, our D will be solid next year. I agree with Pavel Bure that Lovejoy should be 3rd pairing, but I think Cole has the ability to be a 2nd pairing guy. Scuds will be scuttled, and Lovejoy will become the new Scuds, the grizzled veteran offering guidance to the young guys while playing 3rd line minutes.

As columbia said, we must resign Lapierre, and Comeau should stay as long as he's in a 3rd or 4th line role. I like Steve Downie and really, really wanted the Downie Experiment to work, but he just couldn't change. Plus, his yappin' at the officials keeps alive the Pens-are-whiners image. Let him go.

What the heck happened to Perron's game? Hope he finds it again over the summer.
Time has run out on Bennett. Kunitz will also be bought out. He's been like this all season:

Next year will definitely be the year that youth will be served, mainly because we don't have many other options. No one from the core will be traded, and no one outside of the core will bring in anybody worth anything. I fully expect Kapanen and Sundqvist to be in the lineup on opening night.

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:31 am

It's never too early. :pop:

Goalie:
I'm entirely indifferent, in that they won't be able to have someone around to pick up the slack in case MAF goes down.
Greiss? Someone else off the scrap heap? See if Murray can get his feet wet in a few games?
All of the above. Again, this area is not a problem.

Defensemen:
Letang-Maatta
Cole-Lovejoy
Pouliot-Dumoulin-Chorney

That's a solid foundation, with the allowance for bringing in another vet as is needed.

Dump Scuderi Malcolm X style.
Enjoy your new home and contract, Paul Martin.

Forwards:
Downie - I'm indifferent. More trouble than he's worth? Perhaps
Comeau - Bring him back with the intention of 3/4 line duty.
Bennett - I'm struggling to care whether he ever plays for the Pens again. Sign him, if you must.
Winnik - Meh.
Lapierre - RE-SIGN THIS MAN
Dupuis - I wouldn't count on him ever playing again, but we shall see.
Kunitz - :face:
Sutter - Well, I'll let yinz fight over his destiny..... :slug:
Pretty easy to agree with goalie. Fleury, and whoever else they can sign for cheap or already have in the system will do.

Pretty much agree on defense. Scuderi needs to go. Pouliot needs to play full time. Dumoulin and Chorney should be given a chance. Lovejoy, well, I'm willing to see if he can play better with a full training camp under his belt to learn the system. Otherwise, he'll be the new Scuderi whipping boy next season. If the Penguins go into the season with Scuderi and Lovejoy on defense.......

Up front, I'd bring back Comeau for 3rd/4th line duty. Strong start, but poor play after his injury will keep him cost effective and under 2M. Lapierre is a must re-sign....meh regular season, but playoff beast. Would be a major upgrade over Adams. Winnik can go elsewhere, Downie....wouldn't mind keeping him, as he put up decent numbers, but him being Steve Downie may have hurt the team more...so he'll probably be allowed to walk. Bennett is an RFA and will be resigned. Kunitz is not a top 6 forward, and I'd buy him out too.

On what to bring in, well, there isn't a lot out there. I still say Kapanen is no lock to make this team, but I hope he proves me wrong and proves that he is READY, not just given a spot because we need youth and speed. Free agency, I'd look at Frolik and Belesky as top 6 options. They may have to get creative and see if there is a young, speedy, RFA that is available. Offer up Harrington and all of our 2015 picks (kidding), but something to bring in some more youth and speed.

the wicked child

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:49 am

I was maybe on the fence for awhile with Downie but he needs to go. He is too much of a liability with all of the penalties he takes (legitimate and otherwise), and other teams can basically do whatever they want to him and it's never called. Not worth it.

Comeau was mostly butt after he came back from the injury. I'm kinda over that experiment, unless he is re-signed for cheap and in the bottom 6.

Lapierre... well, he was great in the playoffs, kind of useless in the regular season. Guess it depends on the price, but you do need those kind of players.

Winnik... nope. What a bust.

I'd like to see Scuderi and Kunitz jettisoned, whether that be buyouts or somehow finding someone to take them. They have outlived their usefulness and the cap (and roster) space can be put to better use.

Hopefully Perron remembers how to play in the offseason. He was kind of trash for a long time there.

I'm still extremely concerned about Letang... I'm not sure if we're going to see him again or not. This team is fairly boned if he isn't able to come back.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:00 am

Goalie:
Fleury
Curtis McElhinney

Defensemen:
I go hard after Francois Beauchemin or Johnny Oduya

Letang - Maatta
Beauchemin/Oduya - Cole
Lovejoy- Pouliot/Dumo

I would buy Scuderi out if he cannot be traded. 917k for 4 seasons would be the cap penalty, IIRC.

Forwards:
Downie - Thanks for your service. See ya later
Comeau - Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Bennett - He gone
Winnik - Peace
Lapierre - Here! Take all my money!
Dupuis - Hopefully he can come back, but you have to have a legitimate back-up plan in case he cannot
Adams - I think this goes without saying

cadams

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby cadams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:07 am

The biggest difference between Scuderi and Lovejoy is the $2 million savings.

No big signings. Avoid them. Thus team shouldn't need one and there's really no one worth it available.

Tico Rick

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:12 am

Lapierre - Here! Take all my money!
:lol:

offsides

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby offsides » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:45 am

Our D may still be an issue next season. Are we sure Letang will be returning? To me, after a stroke and 4 concussions it is not a certainty. A fifth concussion could be really bad. How many did Lindros have before he retired? Also, will Maata be healed? I haven't heard of any progress with him at all.

Arturs Irbe

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Arturs Irbe » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:14 am

It's time to let the young defense play next year. Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, and Harrington should all be regulars or at least on the opening night roster. Buy out Scuderi, which would save about $2 million in cap space. Cole is a RFA but I wouldn't expect him to get that much of a raise.

The forward group needs to be completely retooled, again. Crosby, Malkin, and Hornqvist are the only top 6 forwards they have right now. Moving Kunitz would be something I'd like to see, even with the contract being tough to move. I don't know what they do about Dupuis, but it's risky going into next season with him penciled in the lineup. His injury this year cost them a first round pick. Hopefully Sundqvist, Kapanen, and Wilson are all guys who are in the lineup to start next season. They need an injection of youth in the bottom 6. I wouldn't care if everyone that is a UFA right now walked. Comeau and Lapierre had good playoffs, but Comeau might be a little too expensive and I'd rather see a younger player over Lapierre. I don't think Downie will be back, he seemed to fall out of favor with HCMJ.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:19 am

re-sign at 4 years, 5 mil a year?

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:35 am

The most important thing to note about this offseason is there is no quick fix to this teams Top 6 issues and that is the biggest thing holding this team back. Without an overhaul of the Top 6 we will be likely 1 and done at the same time next season.

The other thing that can be improved upon is the PP. I was hopeful that Ehrhoff would help us but he was never given a chance due to the Pens coaching staff and his health issues.

The PP I think can be improved through moving players into their correct positions and will be easier to fix than the Top 6.

Defence21

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Defence21 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am

I really like the looks of a defense that features Maatta, Pouliot, and one of Doumalin or Harrington as the youth, with Letang, Cole, and Lovejoy as the vets. Add Chorney as the 7th and that's a group that might not have much star power aside from Letang, but has the potential to be extremely steady at worst.

On offense, this team needs to get younger -- that's a given. I'm over Bennett, unfortunately. He's just not a bottom sixer, and he can't hang with the big boys of our top six. Maybe a package of Bennett and Harrington/Doumalin will be enough to grab a young, big body forward.

Ditch Kunitz (try trade first, if not, then buyout), Winnik, and Adams. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Perron if the deal was right -- though I'm guessing his value is low right now, and it might make more sense to keep him around and let him regroup than to trade him when his value is low.

I'm still of the belief that Sutter should be traded, as I think his value on the trade market could be high, given his playoff performances and his production despite a lack of wingers. He could be a 2nd line center on a bad team or a team with little center depth, and the return could be a second line winger.

Lapierre must stay. No questions asked. I want him on the fourth line, and I want Sundqvist to learn from him. Give Lappy two years with hopes that Sundqvist learns from and surpasses him in that time. I think they need to add another pesky player for the line. Maybe Bernier from New Jersey fits the bill.

I like Comeau, as he showed he can be put in the top six if necessary, but is better suited for the bottom six. I like Downie as he brings an edge and a craziness this team severely lacks. I'd keep one, but not both. If this team loses Downie, they absolutely need to add another pest to the mix.

As for free agent targets, I'd be interested in seeing what Carl Soderberg (despite his age) could do given top-six minutes with one of Malkin or Crosby. He had nearly 50 points in Boston this year, and I'm not sure that number couldn't jump to 60 with quality scorers. Beleskey is intriguing, as he's just 26. Fehr would be a big body to add to the mix, but I'm not sure he's what this team needs. Tlusty would be a nice skill pick up, but could be pricey.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 am

re-sign at 4 years, 5 mil a year?
If he's is willing to take less than market value...

cadams

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby cadams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:55 am

Trying to think of some other teams that had great youth where they won a Cup then stagnated and those youth became 30 year olds but then guided new youth? Detroit maybe?

I am OK not being elite for a couple years if it meant retooling with youth. But we need to stop trading away draft picks and signing big contracts.

If we can get some decent youth for Sutter and Perron then they need to be moved unless you think they will be contributers in 3 years.

Need to restock WBS with projects too. We have a lot of very good AHL players but no one who will ever be a top 6 in the NHL except maybe Kapanen and Sundqvist.

jpvs27

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby jpvs27 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:57 am

Goaltender:

Zatkoff is still under contract for $600k next season. He can be Fleury's backup.

Defense:

Buy out Scuderi. Let Martin and Ehrhoff walk. Leaving the Penguins with Letang, Maata, Pouliot, Cole, Dumoulin, Harrington, Lovejoy. Chorney had a one-year deal, so he may leave, but they should try to re-sign him for less than $1 million to be the 7th guy.

Forward:

Hopefully Perron can figure it out and get back to being productive. It'd be nice if he could be like James Neal, who was terrible after the trade, but really was productive the next few years. That'd give you 4 legitimate scoring threats - Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and Perron.

I'd consider re-signing Lapierre, as long as it's short-term and nothing too expensive. Honestly, the rest of the UFAs can leave without losing much. I like the idea of Steve Downie more than I like the stupid penalties and reputation that he brings. If Comeau signs a reasonable contract and plays third-fourth line minutes, then fine, I guess. Winnik can leave. He does nothing for me.

Find any way possible to get rid of Chris Kunitz. I don't care what you have to do. Book all of his flights on Malaysian Airlines if you have to.

I assume they bring back Bennett, just because they don't really have any other options. Maybe he can bulk up a little and not be hurt all the time, but I doubt it.

??-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin- Bennett
Dupuis-Sutter-Wilson
Spaling-Sundqvist-??

Probably wouldn't be the worst thing for the Penguins if Dupuis retires, freeing them from that contract, too. But if he's able to return and contribute, that's certainly not a bad thing.

Youth and speed finally need to be served.

jpvs27

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby jpvs27 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Meant to pencil in Kapanen somewhere, too. Maybe with Malkin, bumping Bennett and Wilson down.

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I would really like to see some combination of Wilson, Rust, Farnham, and Sundqvist step into a 3rd or 4th line role next season, with Kapanen making his way into the top six, but I worry about the risk of penciling them into the lineup without some form of backup plan.

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Buyouts as we're thinking of them are over right? If you buy someone out now they still give the team a cap hit.

the wicked child

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Buyouts as we're thinking of them are over right? If you buy someone out now they still give the team a cap hit.
Fully aware. 904k cap hit for 4 years or whatever is better than Scueri taking up 3+ million over the next 2 and being a dead spot in the lineup.

jpvs27

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby jpvs27 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 pm

Yes. If they bought out Scuderi and Kunitz, the cap hit is reduced and spread out over twice the length of the contract.

They'd save something like $6 million each of the next two years but have a little over $2 million in dead cap space each year for the two years after that.

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes. If they bought out Scuderi and Kunitz, the cap hit is reduced and spread out over twice the length of the contract.

They'd save something like $6 million each of the next two years but have a little over $2 million in dead cap space each year for the two years after that.
Find a team with young guys that they want to have mentored by vets who have won cups. Ship off Kunitz and Scuds for cheap, profit

Arturs Irbe

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Arturs Irbe » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Fully aware. 904k cap hit for 4 years or whatever is better than Scueri taking up 3+ million over the next 2 and being a dead spot in the lineup.
According to war-on-ice.com's buyout calculator, Scuderi's buyout would cost the team $917,000 in real money each year over the next 4. His cap hit, which is now $3.375, would become $1.292 in 2015-2016, $1.792 in 2016-2017, and $.917 in 2017-2018 and 2018-2019.