Off Season Moves Thread

Jim

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 am

I was looking at it more as if this guy could be a Letang replacement in 4 years... it is tough to give him up for a borderline top 6 or someone that barely belongs in top 6 like a few of the names that have been discussed lately.

skullman80

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 am

Kuhnhackl just was re-signed to a 1 year NHL deal at $575K.
Looks like its a two way deal, 575k at the NHL level.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins

The U

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby The U » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 am

In regards to the rumors and Rutherford interviews over the past few days:

*I always thought adding a 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft was a pipedream. Not sure how that would be accomplished given our lack of assets. Anything picks/prospects that we have in our system will be used to acquire a winger(s), I'm not sure that leaves much room for acquiring draft picks this weekend.

*I don't mind Scuderi but at his age and cap hit, there is no way in the world he should be on this team next year. Right after the season ended we were hearing that it was all but guaranteed that he would be gone via buyout or trade. Now we are hearing that he is likely to stick around. Rutherford needs to build up his trade value so he can't dump on the guy or say anything negative about him right now. Saying that he's played well, he's a good D, and we would love to have him back is basically all that he can say right now. I just really hope it isn't true.

*With the draft, trades, and free agency right around the corner, lets not forget the organization's biggest weakness: scoring. Last offseason I was really excited to see guys like Downie, Carcillo, Spaling, etc brought onto the squad. I really thought that overall team toughness, grit, and our bottom 6 was the biggest issue. I'm completely off of that now. The team needs youth, speed, and scoring. I don't think I want to see us revert back to the "softest team in the NHL" again but finding guys with skill has to be priority. Too bad this free agency class is garbage.

*I've said this many times and I've been ripped over it, but I will say it again....Over the past 2 seasons we have seen Orpik, Niskanen, Ehrhoff, Martin, and Despres leave the organization for "free". I realize that contending teams don't trade away good defensemen right before playoff runs but that is a pretty decent group that left town and netted us basically nothing in return. I'm not advocating trading Orpik at the deadline 2 years ago or moving our best Dman in Paul Martin this past March before the playoffs but it's too bad these guys just walk away and our organizational needs (draft picks, scoring wingers, depth, etc...) remain unfilled.

*Sutter is gone. The only way this team can swing a trade to get a scoring winger back in return is if Sutter is part of the package. I'm fine with that.

King Colby

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:57 am

It's gonna be pretty funny when in next season's off-season thread we are talking about the dire need to improve the garbage 3rd and 4th lines.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:02 am

It's gonna be pretty funny when in next season's off-season thread we are talking about the dire need to improve the garbage 3rd and 4th lines.
Yeah, I'm excited for that discussion. And, by extension, how bad this new third line center is...whoever that may be...as he won't hit the magical points or hits threshold in all likelihood...

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:04 am

I just dont see how one can say Skinner shouldn't be explored because of concussions and in the same breathe defend keeping letang. If you think Skinner has health issues than the same should apply for Letang.

I think Pens fans over value Letang because they look past the injuries. I would loved to have seen the Pit Nyr series with a healthy letang. But if him having concussion problems is the new norm, when do you cut ties? Do you do it while you can still get something for him? It's a legitimate question.

What if his next concussion God forbid results in something similar to Marc Savard? You not only lose Letang you get nothing back.
So, are you saying we should have cut ties with Crosby when he was dealing with concussion symptoms for a year and a half? That's the risk you take when you invest in a player. Letang clearly brings something to this team that they sorely lacked going down the stretch and into the playoffs. I'm willing to give him an off-season and fresh start in camp to see if he's going to be ok.
You realize that there is a difference between 1 bout of symptoms and 5 separate occurrences?

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:10 am

In regards to the rumors and Rutherford interviews over the past few days:

*I always thought adding a 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft was a pipedream. Not sure how that would be accomplished given our lack of assets. Anything picks/prospects that we have in our system will be used to acquire a winger(s), I'm not sure that leaves much room for acquiring draft picks this weekend.

*I don't mind Scuderi but at his age and cap hit, there is no way in the world he should be on this team next year. Right after the season ended we were hearing that it was all but guaranteed that he would be gone via buyout or trade. Now we are hearing that he is likely to stick around. Rutherford needs to build up his trade value so he can't dump on the guy or say anything negative about him right now. Saying that he's played well, he's a good D, and we would love to have him back is basically all that he can say right now. I just really hope it isn't true.

*With the draft, trades, and free agency right around the corner, lets not forget the organization's biggest weakness: scoring. Last offseason I was really excited to see guys like Downie, Carcillo, Spaling, etc brought onto the squad. I really thought that overall team toughness, grit, and our bottom 6 was the biggest issue. I'm completely off of that now. The team needs youth, speed, and scoring. I don't think I want to see us revert back to the "softest team in the NHL" again but finding guys with skill has to be priority. Too bad this free agency class is garbage.

*I've said this many times and I've been ripped over it, but I will say it again....Over the past 2 seasons we have seen Orpik, Niskanen, Ehrhoff, Martin, and Despres leave the organization for "free". I realize that contending teams don't trade away good defensemen right before playoff runs but that is a pretty decent group that left town and netted us basically nothing in return. I'm not advocating trading Orpik at the deadline 2 years ago or moving our best Dman in Paul Martin this past March before the playoffs but it's too bad these guys just walk away and our organizational needs (draft picks, scoring wingers, depth, etc...) remain unfilled.

*Sutter is gone. The only way this team can swing a trade to get a scoring winger back in return is if Sutter is part of the package. I'm fine with that.
I want GMJR confirm that neither Dupuis nor Kunitz are figuring into the top 6 this season.

I'm fine with moving Sutter if you have a 3rd line of kunitz spaling dupuis

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 am

Yeah, I'm excited for that discussion. And, by extension, how bad this new third line center is...whoever that may be...as he won't hit the magical points or hits threshold in all likelihood...
Or face-off win percentage.

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:18 am

I just dont see how one can say Skinner shouldn't be explored because of concussions and in the same breathe defend keeping letang. If you think Skinner has health issues than the same should apply for Letang.

I think Pens fans over value Letang because they look past the injuries. I would loved to have seen the Pit Nyr series with a healthy letang. But if him having concussion problems is the new norm, when do you cut ties? Do you do it while you can still get something for him? It's a legitimate question.

What if his next concussion God forbid results in something similar to Marc Savard? You not only lose Letang you get nothing back.
So, are you saying we should have cut ties with Crosby when he was dealing with concussion symptoms for a year and a half? That's the risk you take when you invest in a player. Letang clearly brings something to this team that they sorely lacked going down the stretch and into the playoffs. I'm willing to give him an off-season and fresh start in camp to see if he's going to be ok.
You realize that there is a difference between 1 bout of symptoms and 5 separate occurrences?
According to an article last year, he has only been diagnosed with 3 concussions: The Sutton Hit, the Fraser Hit, and the Niskanen Elbow this past pre-season. Skinner Concussions

It's a risk, but honestly, any player out there can have a career ending injury at any time. Yes, Skinner is more susceptible to concussions after having a few, but he also fits a lot of other qualities we need. I still think Skinner is and should be the top target for the Penguins. Skinner and Kapanen in the top 6 would give this team the added speed they need up front.

Defence21

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Defence21 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:40 pm

According to an article last year, he has only been diagnosed with 3 concussions: The Sutton Hit, the Fraser Hit, and the Niskanen Elbow this past pre-season. Skinner Concussions

It's a risk, but honestly, any player out there can have a career ending injury at any time. Yes, Skinner is more susceptible to concussions after having a few, but he also fits a lot of other qualities we need. I still think Skinner is and should be the top target for the Penguins. Skinner and Kapanen in the top 6 would give this team the added speed they need up front.
I'm okay with Skinner, as he's very young, fast, and highly skilled -- all qualities this team needs. His stats were way down last year, but he also has nowhere near the talent around him that the Penguins have and won't be much more than the fourth or fifth best forward on the team if all are healthy. Just as slotting a player up the depth chart often hurts his production, slotting a player down the depth chart often can help his production. He won't be the top target when he is on the ice, leaving him with some open space to make things work.

What would be going in the direction of Carolina, do you think?

slappybrown

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:51 pm

So given the cap announcement and teams like PHX close to 20MM shy of the floor, please God can we dump Scuderi?

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:02 pm

I think now that the cap has been announced, the moves and signings are coming since everyone knows exactly what they have to deal with.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:13 pm

I was referring to Crosby's one bout of concussion symptoms. I said earlier that Skinner has 3 confirmed concussions and as a result wouldn't want him. To compare Crosby's situation and Letang's is really silly.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm perplexed by our supposed interest in Sharp. He seems like a minimal upgrade over Kunitz at this point in his career.

Bioshock

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Bioshock » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:31 am

Reports out of Russia that Sergei Plotnikov will sign with the Pens

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 am

Reports out of Russia that Sergei Plotnikov will sign with the Pens
Please let this be true.

Bioshock

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Bioshock » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:35 am

Plotnikov no longer on Lokomotiv's roster this morning.

Gaucho

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:49 am

Yes, please.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:50 am

A very quick report on Plotkinov, though I bet mikey or someone else will be able to give more.

25 years old (born in '90), 6'2", 200 lb. Has played last 3 years in KHL. Was Russia's leading scorer in the 2014 World Championships. If his KHL stats were converted to an 82-game season (they have a 60-game; he's missed 4 to 10 games each season), he'd be around a 50-point scorer: around 20 goals, 30 assists. He has some skill, a decent shot, and some physicality. Seems to play with a bit of an edge / passion, and is a bit undisciplined.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:50 am

Plotnikov, if true, isn't that exciting of a player for me...this isn't really a skill grab. It's a third line upgrade perhaps (which is good)...I'm more excited for the attention paid to these players that are over there...when you don't have assets and you don't like free agency, you gotta get creative...

Gaucho

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:53 am

TASS reports it's a done deal ... take it with a grain of saltski.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:54 am

I believe this to be done as well. Might not be announced officially until next week, but all signs suggest that this is done.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 am

I kind of like this move. Glad to see the Pens thinking outside the box a bit. I like the idea of this type of move more than the actual move itself. Plotnikov doesn't skate very well, so I'm not exactly sure if this is going to work out. He does have somewhat of a rough-and-tumble style to his game, so I hope that translates to NA.

Tico Rick

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:50 am

The plotnikov thickens...

Tico Rick

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 am

If he doesn't skate well yet can still put the puck in the net, maybe the smaller NHL surface will help his game.