Off Season Moves Thread

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Damn autocorrect, makes me seem like a moran.

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:42 pm

A healthy Erhoff is someone is like. When he was healthy he was calm, position ally sound, made the right decisions, and moved/skated the puck well. I'd go for 3 years at 3.5-4.5m per without really blinking.

Maata-Letang
Erhoff-

Mix in Dumolin, Pouliott, Cole if he re-signs, Chorney if he re-signs, and Lovejoy/Scuds as 7-8 get Harrington some spot duty and get the youth movement going.
Cole is an RFA, so he isn't going anywhere. Lovejoy is under contract next year...doubtful he goes anywhere. I'm just not sold on Maata, Letang, Ehrhoff, Cole, and Lovejoy taking spots from Pouliot and Dumoulin. Dumoulin acquitted himself quite well in the playoffs. He showed he deserves to be a bottom pairing guy on this team. Pouliot still has room to improve his defense, but sitting him would be a disservice. I would rather have Chorney than Scuds or Lovejoy at this point. That defense may not be flashy, but Letang, Maata, Pouliot, Dumoulin, and Cole, Chorney and Lovejoy would be a nice group of youth and veteran experience.
Yes, that's what I was saying. Scuds/Lovejoy as 7/8 means they don't see the ice most nights.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Was Dum bad in his regular season stint because he wasn't with Chorney? He seemed much better in the playoffs.

I didn't know familiarity with a partner was that important

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 pm

I like Ehrhoff but I want to see them get some snarl back on the blueline. We were able to get Cole for Bortuzzo. I'd like to think there might be another deal out there if we were to move Harrington or Domoulin for somone who fell out of favor in another organization.

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:54 pm

I think Keith Ballard is a UFA. But really there is no one that sticks out as a mean guy that you would want playing minutes.

MR25

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MR25 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm sure Erhoff does have interest in re-signing.

If they buy out Scuderi, I'm open to the idea.

ETA: But if we're adding a vet, I'd rather he be a banger than another puck mover. I think we're covered in that department.
If we learned anything from the playoffs, it's that you can't have too many puck movers. We were seriously lacking in that area due to injuries, and the offense suffered tremendously.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm sure Erhoff does have interest in re-signing.

If they buy out Scuderi, I'm open to the idea.

ETA: But if we're adding a vet, I'd rather he be a banger than another puck mover. I think we're covered in that department.
If we learned anything from the playoffs, it's that you can't have too many puck movers. We were seriously lacking in that area due to injuries, and the offense suffered tremendously.
Came to post this, MR

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:13 pm

I am curious to see what Ehrhoff is asking for.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:16 pm

well let's see how we fare without one of the best puck stopping dmen in the league, Scuderi

if he ends up getting bought out...which he really should be. He's eating up way too much salary and can be replaced with a young guy.

I like Scuds. I defended him all year. But man...it's his time.

cadams

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby cadams » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:45 pm

well let's see how we fare without one of the best puck stopping dmen in the league, Scuderi

if he ends up getting bought out...which he really should be. He's eating up way too much salary and can be replaced with a young guy.

I like Scuds. I defended him all year. But man...it's his time.
It's hard to justify his contract for what role he actually should be playing. If he were making $1.5-1.8 million then he could be a #7 but reality says you can't have that much cap space not in the lineup if healthy. Kunitz has the same problem, if he were closer to $2 million he would be useful as a 4th liner and #2 PP guy which is all he should really be right now.

large garlic

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby large garlic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:12 pm

I'd potentially be open to bringing Ehrhoff back. If the Pens can dump Scuderi, they'd have (not worrying too much about who's paired with whom):

Maatta-Letang
XXX-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Dumoulin

I have XXX in there because I don't you want to count on any of those other 3 to be top-4. Plus, Maatta and Letang are real question marks health-wise. You'd want another legit top-4 guy in case either of them go down. I thought Ehrhoff looked the part for 4-6 weeks in between when he got acclimated and when he started to get hurt, and you figure he'd come relatively cheap compared to other UFAs.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 am

I'd potentially be open to bringing Ehrhoff back. If the Pens can dump Scuderi, they'd have (not worrying too much about who's paired with whom):

Maatta-Letang
XXX-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Dumoulin

I have XXX in there because I don't you want to count on any of those other 3 to be top-4. Plus, Maatta and Letang are real question marks health-wise. You'd want another legit top-4 guy in case either of them go down. I thought Ehrhoff looked the part for 4-6 weeks in between when he got acclimated and when he started to get hurt, and you figure he'd come relatively cheap compared to other UFAs.

Do you think Ehrhoff will resign for $4M a year? I cant see paying him a lot more than that.

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 am

Thinking out loud here, but is there any chance we could move maybe Kunitz and Harrington to get back into the 1st round. Kunitz doesn't have a ton of trade value, but he should be able to fetch something. I think Kunitz for a 3rd straight up might be possible, that's probably best case one for one that I see.

The following teams have multiple 1st round draft picks this year. Obviously I don't think any of them are going to give up the lottery picks, but I'm curious if Kunitz and Harrington, or even Kunitz, Harrington, and Bennett could get us a 1st round pick back (only including Bennett if another player came back with the 1st). Or go another way, and send Dumoulin out if a team wants a defenseman that is more NHL ready.

Edmonton
Buffalo (3)
Arizona
Toronto
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at salary cap, but Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona may be best bets. Just looking at rosters, Arizona seems like someone that could maybe use Kunitz on a 2nd or 3rd line, and maybe want a young defensive prospect.

A buyout of Scuderi, and being able to trade Kunitz for something would be much more palatable than having to buy them both out.

RonnieFranchise

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 am

Morehouse for someone who has managed a business successfully.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 am

I feel like Kunitz is probably worth a 3 as well. Just to edit your list there...Buffalo has 2 and Winnipeg has 2 as a result of the Evander Kane/Tyler Myers swap...

Kuntz to Arizona for a 3rd would be good enough for me...if Dumoulin needs to go with him then fine...

Not sure, but maybe...

Kunitz
Dumoulin
Bennett

for
Lucas Lessio
TB 2nd

Or retain $500K of Kunitz and keep Bennett...
Last edited by mikey on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHammer24

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby TheHammer24 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:02 am

Why are we so confident Martin isn't coming back?

TheHammer24

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby TheHammer24 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 am

Why are we so confident Martin isn't coming back?

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 am

I think the contract value vs. age would be prohibitive. He's going to score a big contract if he wants one...I don't think he fits the mold of the team that GMJR wants to build or that Bill Guerin would want to build for the money...he's good and versatile, but ultimately, most of their adds have been of the tougher variety...

Gaucho

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 am

They moved Despres and Bortuzzo, though. I guess they're looking for smart toughness instead of, you know, ...

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:35 am

I feel like Kunitz is probably worth a 3 as well. Just to edit your list there...Buffalo has 2 and Winnipeg has 2 as a result of the Evander Kane/Tyler Myers swap...

Kuntz to Arizona for a 3rd would be good enough for me...if Dumoulin needs to go with him then fine...

Not sure, but maybe...

Kunitz
Dumoulin
Bennett

for
Lucas Lessio
TB 2nd

Or retain $500K of Kunitz and keep Bennett...
Wow, that would be a nice deal. I'd do Kunitz and Dumoulin for Lessio, the 2nd, and some salary retained (1M or less). That would give the Penguins another young forward up front and an extra pick. Arizona still has Domi and Duclair sitting there, so they could afford to give up someone like Lessio.

Z'MaattaU

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Z'MaattaU » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:55 am

I know St. Louis has a couple D walking. How about a Dumoulin+ for Berglund?

Craig

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 am

They moved Despres and Bortuzzo, though. I guess they're looking for smart toughness instead of, you know, ...
Affordable players?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 am

though it was that smart toughness that let Hagelin skate to the dot uncontested and score the game winner...

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 am

Berglund doesn't do anything for us really...a natural center with an inconsistent game and a tendency to just carry the puck into the abyss...he sucks up useless ice like a warmed-over frat boy nursing a $12 rum and coke...

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:00 am

Berglund doesn't do anything for us really...a natural center with an inconsistent game and a tendency to just carry the puck into the abyss...he sucks up useless ice like a warmed-over frat boy nursing a $12 rum and coke...
*Shrug* He certainly did well with the time St. Louis gave him these playoffs, limited as it was.