The Field
No votes
Voodoo trade shenanigans
No votes

Total votes: 41
Blue Canary

POLL: Who will the Kraken take?

Postby Blue Canary » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm

why do they even have to do a draft? like, just release the list of the guys you're taking
Because the NHL loves to stage events that are not entirely necessary, awkwardly executed, and preruined by overzealous hockey media.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:46 pm

Seattle can eat a giant bag of wet dicks.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:50 pm

Seems weird a team would give a C to guy who would only play 12 minutes a night tops.

I guess I dont really get that sentiment.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Chris Clark would like a word

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Damn. Tanev is a guy you need.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:02 pm

Need to what? They haven't won a playoff series with him.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Fair enough. But he does provide truculence

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:08 pm

It seems the motivation behind the mccann trade was:

TOR - avoid losing someone they didn't want to lose
PIT - wanted to get out from under zucker, tanev, or pettersson contract

The U

Postby The U » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:22 pm

Lots of time before the season starts so nowhere near a finished product. But as we sit here today, the team is slower and softer than we were last year. We lost a fan favorite. We lost literally the only guy that hits and plays with emotion/energy every shift. We haven’t yet dumped any of the really bad contracts we were hoping to dump (Matheson, Pettersson, Zucker, etc). Lots of work to do.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Yea this team of softies is now somehow even softer.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:36 pm

They easily could have lost the other oft mentioned name of ZAR and been stuck with all three of the above guys and been without mccan, AND not gotten much at all in the way of contract/cap savings.

This is a head scratcher..

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:41 pm

They easily could have lost the other oft mentioned name of ZAR and been stuck with all three of the above guys and been without mccan, AND not gotten much at all in the way of contract/cap savings.

This is a head scratcher..
The leaked names for Seattle's picks are light on talent and light on salary. Have to assume there are a lot of other players moving. Maybe we gave them another contract with tanev?

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:52 pm

Yeah theres gotta be some grand scheme..this is not going the way most expected with these picks i would guess.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:58 pm

I don't get sense we have any more business here. We recouped a C+ prospect and a pick for Khavanov for a player we were going to lose for free...we shed Tanev's contract, which seems bad now, it may seem bad later, but it also could look amazing in a couple years as well...who knows...

We were going to lose a player no matter what, so let's get that out of the way. There really wasn't anyone exposed that it was worth paying a price for them to skip over...

So, that player was Tanev - I think that's a controlled burn. We cashed out low on McCann, sure, but it's obvious the league doesn't really value him that much despite his point totals...

They have some flexibility to bring in one of the kids from the Q...they have some flexibility to maybe see if Hallander can play...they have some money to play with if they want to go after a player like Hyman, which I suspect they will...I mean, it's a new front office, they have very little time to put their stamp on a team that is only going to be competitive for a couple more years...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:15 pm

I want no part of what Hyman is going to cost.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Hyman could really bust our cap situation

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:48 pm

Wasn't Hyman asking for $6-7mm? Seems like another lot of money for a bad contract.

The U

Postby The U » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Looking forward to hearing Hextall speak later this week. I never cared too much for McCann so I wasn’t bothered with the Toronto trade. I don’t really understand the trade though now that Tanev is gone. Why not keep the roster as is and let Seattle take McCann? If exposing Tanev was done simply to shed the 3.5m salary why not do that via trade after the expansion draft? Why lose him for nothing if you were really intent on moving him simply for cap relief? Trade him for a pick or prospect or whatever next week. Im just struggling to come to grips with the fact that 3.5m was apparently so ridiculously expensive that Tanev had to go.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:29 pm

Why lose McCann for nothing if you know you can get assets back? Why doesn't what you say about Tanev apply to him?

Man, you guys really overvalue a 4th liner making $3.5m

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm

They might look at Hallander as an entry-level player that can play now...or they might view him as a better prospect than I do...there's a case - not from me, but I know a couple of people who think this - that he's the best prospect in the organization...now, that doesn't say much, right? But it's not nothing...

Maybe they look at Tanev and think that's a bad contract...maybe they think his pace was unsustainable...you can read whatever you want from pace...

I don't think there's as much drama in it as the tone is here from a couple of folks (respectfully...drama isn't really the word I want to use, it, in and of itself, is too dramatic), I think we made a salvage of an entry-level deal and a pick, and I think we were content to lose any player exposed and feel like the roster could be fine...

I don't want Hyman for more than Tanev's cap hit myself, so I wouldn't get him...but I'm not the GM...

Maybe we can replace Tanev with Jordan Martinook for $1.5 million x 2 years or something...a guy with a little better shot than Tanev for me...we'll see how it unfolds...we have some maneuverability to make take on a bigger contract from a team that couldn't dump in Seattle...

What if Seattle claims Tarasenko and then eats some of it for us...? Now we have Tank at $6 mil per...and he'll fit right in because he only plays 7 games per year these days...

Having money in a situation where no one has money is more interesting for us than it is for Winnipeg...we're desirable as a team, a team with Crosby/Malkin/Letang...and we have two new GMs basically that are not beholden to what GMJR left us...I'll miss Tanev big time, I really, really liked him...but I'm interested in where this goes...

The U

Postby The U » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:41 pm

Why lose McCann for nothing if you know you can get assets back? Why doesn't what you say about Tanev apply to him?

Based on the return for McCann, perhaps Tanev has more value around the league and could have brought back a better return. But who knows how much we like Hallander. If one has to be lost for nothing and one has to be traded, might have been better to reverse what we did.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 pm

They might look at Hallander as an entry-level player that can play now...or they might view him as a better prospect than I do...there's a case - not from me, but I know a couple of people who think this - that he's the best prospect in the organization...now, that doesn't say much, right? But it's not nothing...

Maybe they look at Tanev and think that's a bad contract...maybe they think his pace was unsustainable...you can read whatever you want from pace...

I don't think there's as much drama in it as the tone is here from a couple of folks (respectfully...drama isn't really the word I want to use, it, in and of itself, is too dramatic), I think we made a salvage of an entry-level deal and a pick, and I think we were content to lose any player exposed and feel like the roster could be fine...

I don't want Hyman for more than Tanev's cap hit myself, so I wouldn't get him...but I'm not the GM...

Maybe we can replace Tanev with Jordan Martinook for $1.5 million x 2 years or something...a guy with a little better shot than Tanev for me...we'll see how it unfolds...we have some maneuverability to make take on a bigger contract from a team that couldn't dump in Seattle...

What if Seattle claims Tarasenko and then eats some of it for us...? Now we have Tank at $6 mil per...and he'll fit right in because he only plays 7 games per year these days...

Having money in a situation where no one has money is more interesting for us than it is for Winnipeg...we're desirable as a team, a team with Crosby/Malkin/Letang...and we have two new GMs basically that are not beholden to what GMJR left us...I'll miss Tanev big time, I really, really liked him...but I'm interested in where this goes...
I love tanev too but I agree with this sentiment. I’d really like to see what Hextall and Burke could do if they moved Pettersson and his salary.

Making cap space is how you retool with this team. The top players aren’t changing. And we aren’t drafting our way to the promised land right now either

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 pm

It really doesn't matter how you look at it...it's practically a three-way deal in which Seattle only pays in cap space/real cash to us...

I mean, imagine being the Leafs right now...they got horrifically fisted by a rival team in front of the entire country, and then they gave up a prospect and a pick to PROTECT the roster that did it...

The U

Postby The U » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 pm

The games aren’t played on an excel spreadsheet. Analytics, contract term, dollars, cap hits.

It’s not so crazy to actually want specific individuals on your roster because you like watching them play 82+ times per year. Tanev is fun to watch. The fact that his contract term is 1 or 2 years too long….who really cares….this is the entertainment industry. ZAR has a better contract and better analytics but if the Pens had 6 ZARs I’d fall asleep during every game. If we had 6 Tanev’s I’d be thrilled.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:54 pm

I'm not even speaking analytically. The dude has a massive contract for the role that he plays, and that money could be better spent elsewhere.