Penguins Prospects Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

2021 Prospect Update

Postby meow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:26 am

Feel free to edit and remove my Domigue comment. The less his name fills the air of the internet, the better

meow

2021 Prospect Update

Postby meow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:27 am

POJ also had an OT breakaway and made a butt ass move

meow

2021 Prospect Update

Postby meow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:31 am

His shot is intense. But yeah, there's a willingness to grind and mix it up now. It's not like other prospects that are just out there to shoot (Puustinen) and the rest of their game is hollow. This guy plays with a sandpaper jock...but he's got brains too to make up for his sort of square wheels...
His stride is plodding for sure. He is humping it to get around. The one shot off the bar was off of a nothing play. So that’s good that he can take a routine play and make a splash with it.

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:23 pm

I watched a few shifts of Frasca just now...I didn't vomit. He's worth going back for a second look. The one thing that immediately stuck out that he likes to go backhand-forehand or forehand-backhand around a d-man wide...but he doesn't have the ability to get the corner on the d-man, so he has to rely on a mid-range wrist shot from outside the dots. He has a pretty good shot though. I'll give him another look when I get time...

Gauthier has a lot of athleticism but he is so poorly anchored and all over the place. It would take a lot of work to get him into a sustainable position. He's a highlight reel, but I question how he can make routine saves with his approach. Also, he's a right glove. So meow has already disowned him...

King Colby

2021 Prospect Update

Postby King Colby » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:42 pm

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:20 am

Just gonna take this here...
Who do you want ice time on?

Drew O'Connor. Just was curious to see if they were limiting him at all down in WBS due to the whole collapsed lung thing.
Date * Opp - Ice Time - Most common linemates

2/22 @ HER - 21:05 - Puus, Hallander
2/23 vs LV - 19:53 - Puus, Z
2/26 @ BRI - 20:56 - Puus, Hallander
2/27 v SYR - 17:47 - Puus, Hallander
3/4 @ BRI - 21:38 - Puus, Hallander
3/5 @ BRI - 18:51 - Puus, Hallander
3/6 @ PRO - 16:56 - Puus, Z

He's generally playing top line center.

willeyeam

2021 Prospect Update

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:32 am

Call him up damn it

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:38 am

8 pts in 7 games since his return. He also fought J.D. Greenway, a 6'5" 211 lb d-man on the Bruins...

Also, unrelated, Abbottsford is playing Toronto right now - it's 11:30 in the morning and there's 4 minutes left in the 1st...that's odd...

King Colby

2021 Prospect Update

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:05 pm

DOC is too good for the American league and we have spots. Don't overcomplicate this, FO

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:21 pm

Watched a game and a half of the Princeton kid. My initial thought is: I hope he can contribute in the top six of the Baby Pens...

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:39 pm

Watched a little more of Andonovski...he's kind of growing on me actually. I could see him being another Drew O'Connor type more or less...doesn't do anything particularly well, but he's a good enough skater, with good enough strength, an ok skill level, real good hockey IQ. I was chatting with someone else about him and we're both just like, "ya know, he's really competitive" and he was in **** situation at Princeton. They're bad. They're real bad. So, now that he has a way up, I wonder what he can do.

I don't think there's a lot of ceiling here. And ultimately, I don't think he really plays at all. But considering what's down in WBS these days, which is virtually nothing...he won't have to do much to get a chance.

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:23 pm

We signed Colin Swoyer from Michigan Tech today. WCHA Second-Team All Star in 2021. He was playing AAA hockey in his draft year (2016), did a couple in the USHL, four years at Michigan Tech (where weird Youppie people live). Led team in defense scoring. But it's a team with only one NHL draftee (a grad transfer from Boston College, 5th round pick of the Coyotes five years ago).

I took a quick peak because I thought he'd be just brutal and I wouldn't care...but, he had a surprisingly ok skill level. So now I have to dig in a little bit. I'll get back to yous...

Dickie Dunn

2021 Prospect Update

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 pm

Thanks…

Gaucho

2021 Prospect Update

Postby Gaucho » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:58 pm

They signed another one:

mikey

2021 Prospect Update

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:55 pm

Did a little more work on Colin Swoyer, came away less impressed...

Good skater. Gets off his center line pretty well, opens up his lateral skating. He does a nice job detaching his upper body from his lower body when accepting passes and changing directions. Good edges. Good hands, but not a great handler, in the same vein, not a great pass receiver either. Weak shot. Not very strong near the net. Needs a little more urgency. He's not careless, he's generally well positioned. But he lacks pro structure in his game in all facets. It's a little immature, probably the development route has a hand in that. It's not just the box out stuff, but even defending rushes, he can't seal the wall. He flashes some decent hands, but his deception and manipulation is all hands...there isn't much in the way of head and shoulder fakes or anything, so I have some doubts about it being scalable to the pro game. I get the weird sense that he's been about the same caliber of player for the last couple of years because either he doesn't have a great development system (Michigan Tech doesn't pump out NHLers) and/or he really just works on what he's already good at it practice...

I don't think this is an NHLer.

I'll take a look at Ty Glover next time I'm in between tasks...

Lelldorin

2021 Prospect Update

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:07 pm

TY for your service:)

It is interesting that we sign so many college players

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:54 am

Ok, the book is out...so I'm done scouting for the year. As usual, I mostly watch the U.S., but I also did some work in the WHL this year as well...so, I have significant bias to what I know and it's a strong European draft, so again, I'm dealing from a limited deck...

We have:
21 (1st)
118 (4th)
150 (5th)
182 (6th)
214 (7th)

Where I might go...

#21 Seamus Casey (RD, USNTDP) - I love this player. I tried to get him to around 15 in our ranking all year - I sold most of our staff, but not enough. He's not big, only about 5'10" but he's so good all around. Excellent skater, particularly with his small-area footwork (long speed is just average, but that's not a necessary skill for defensemen). Extremely smart. Despite his size, he doesn't take **** really...understands box out principles. Dynamic skill set. He's one of the better players in the draft in terms of turning pucks over in the DZ and then turning it into immediate transition. His retrieval-survey-outlet/carry chain is one of the tops out there. I really like him and wouldn't hesitate to use our 1st on him.

#118: Yegor Savikov (RD/LD, Spartak) - Another smaller, all-around d-man. He's actually a lot like Casey now that I think about it. Savikov is a harder worker (a rare thing for me to say about d-men) and a little more aggressive. I found him last year playing deep in Russian juniors...no one knew he existed except me I think. Now, he's played in the KHL for half a year and made the Russian WJC team...Central through him in the 60's or something among Euro skaters despite being a late '02.

#150: Parker Bell (LW, Tri-City) - Usually with 18 year olds that are 6'4", 200 pounds, there's a certain player type associated with that. Bell is kind of the opposite. He's really athletic, a terrific skater, already really comfortable with his size. I love his hockey IQ (another rarity for big 18 year olds). Really good motor to him. Skill level is here and there. Normally I only pursue dynamic talents, but I just took two sub-6-foot d-men...so, I'm going to see if I can get another Ryan Malone here. If I didn't get Ryan Malone, then I might have just gotten another Zohorna...but it's worth a try.

#182: Kasper Kulonummi (RD, Jokerit U20) - A little bit of a limited view guy for me. But this seemed like a very talented d-man with excellent outlet passing ability in the few times I saw him. Only a decent skater at 6-foot flat, but I think the talent is too much to overlook. I thought he really improved from when I saw him at the Hlinka last August. I'd take a shot if he's still there...naturally, I'd need the backing of the area scout here. Like I said, limited view for me.

#214: Garrett Schifsky (C/RW, Waterloo) - Obviously I can't predict how the first 213 guys went, so I'm just going with guys that I don't think a lot of teams really know much about...in all honesty, I could have 'B' level prospects still available at this point...it happens most drafts. Anywho, going a little "off the board" with Schifsky. He just keeps scoring goals. Like twice as many as the second best guy on his team at a good MN high school, then again in the USHL. He was passed on last year. He's going to the juggernaut U of M in the fall, Not super dynamic in space...but the timing of his shot (and it's a real nice shot) is really scalable to me. A lot of good details to his game, really good spatial awareness. I could see it working out like it did for Sheary here, so it's worth a 7th...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:39 pm

We have a 1st?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:43 pm

Not only do we have this 1st, but we have all of our firsts for the foreseeable future... :!:

meow

Postby meow » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:16 pm

What’s a first round pick?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm

Is there any talk about Russian prospects falling down the rankings because of the Ukraine/Russian invasion?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:51 pm

I saw someone mention... Turaov? Danila something? As a possibility to drop due to his Russia contract.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:12 pm

Yup. There's already a "Russian tax"...now there's a war on top of it. There's a couple of teams out there that are saying, "no thanks" to Russians, but that's not unusual...

Like Philadelphia only drafted six Russians out of Russia since 2007 and only one of which was a top 100 pick (a goalie at 80th)...since taking Stanislav Chistov 5th overall in 2001, they have drafted two Russians (including CHL Imports): Igor Bobkov (G) at 76th in 2009 and Artyom Galimov at 129 in 2020.

Russians/Belarussians are banned from being CHL Imports now...so even the whole "ok, we'll sign you, and you'll play with the Quebec Remparts in the Q and score 250 points for a year" is off the table now as well...it's going to be tough, you're going to need good contacts, good relations, a briefcase full of cash, and a plan...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:23 pm

Kasper Kulonummi sounds way too close to Kasperi Kapanen, so, no thanks.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:38 pm

@mikey how good is the Pittsburgh kid expected to go in the top three?