Penguins Prospects Thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:13 am

Yeah, this is a good ask. I'll scan through our guys over the course of the month and see what I see...part of the production aspect is just allowing guys a platform to succeed. Like NHL vet Caggiula has been more or less stapled to DOC to help him out as a center. There's a bunch of NHL experienced d-men down there now: Ty Smith, Friedman, X.Ouellet...that makes things a lot more professional too.

In Pittsburgh, the job pre-req is that either you were in the NHL or your dad was...so, we have a very unimaginative scouting staff, as I've stated for a while. It's very frustrating...

But yeah, I should do a midseason update here...I'm in the midst of travelling for my scouting outlet over the next little while here, so maybe I'll pick up a couple players here and there in my downtime and drop them here...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:33 am

Gracias. Like I know the draft is a massive crapshoot outside of the top guys (and even then most of them are rarely a guarantee), but seeing a guy like Luke Devlin being mediocre as **** in the BCHL as an 18 year old just speaks to the complete lack of creativity you always harp about. I had hoped this would change with Hextall but it just seems like it's become a different kind of bad. Instead of taking random Scandinavians we're now just taking low level Canadians. Getting drafted and then moving to a league I had a tryout in does not bode well for anyone's future.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am

Low level Canadians...? Pssh...I wish. Luke Devlin is from Tennessee... :(

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Figures that's the level of quality in Canadian high school hockey.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Speakimg of Poulin:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:33 pm

Oof. That’s no good. Hope all is well

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:42 pm

Is this gaucho's fault too?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:24 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:50 pm

:(

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:07 pm

****. Did he see my post?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:16 pm

Yeah, there's your update on Poulin, Dick...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:06 am

@mikey where's my damn update? I want to be annoyed at our terrible drafting.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:23 am

I want to be annoyed
I can help with this

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:46 am

I sent Ty Smith up, that's part 1...

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:34 am

Took a quick tour around our 2022 draft class...

Owen Pickering (LD) - I was very high on him in his draft year, of course. I'm still up on him, but I was actually hoping for a little bit more at this point. He looks pretty similar to where he was last year. Skating actually looks a little heavier. He's only about five pounds heavier right now. I don't know, it's possible I caught some tough games for him...but I wasn't overly impressed. I did say that he's a really raw player, and that was just six months ago...so I'm not worried, but I kinda thought there'd be a little bit more pop to him at this point. No invite to Team Canada for the WJCs. Swift Current seems to be on pace for a playoff spot, so it'll be the first playoff action for Pickering at this level - he's wearing the captain C as an '04. It'll be worth seeing if he can elevate his game.

Sergei Murashov (G) - Obviously, it's a goalie so who cares. He'll probably get hurt at the worst times anyhow. His numbers in the MHL (Russia's top junior league) are filthy. 21-5-3, 1.18 GAA, .958 save pct., 11 SO (!). No other goalie on the roster (8, 6, and 2 GP, respectively, one of which is a Dallas pick) has a save pct. above .900 or is within 1 GAA of him. Best GAA in the league (~40 teams) by half a goal per game. No one in the league has more than 4 shutouts. So...that's something. Got a KHL game last month that he won 2-1.

I still have my doubts about his translation to the NA game. Looks a little awkward to me. Movement in the crease is good, not great. He's very awkward in how he tries to track pucks through traffic and around traffic, he goes into zombie scarecrow mode...he's not ready to really get into a proper butterfly stance with it and he's more of a butterfly guy than many young Russian goalies. He has video game numbers, but I'm not sold yet.

Zam Plante (LW/C) - He's improved his passing accuracy and has become quite the playmaker. Spends a touch of time at center, instead of just LW. Still doesn't play much on a stacked Steel team. Only getting around 15 a game. No noteworthy uptick in production as a result. Spends a good bit of time with a small playmaking center who is 2023 eligible in Cam Johnson...so it's two guys that just don't shoot. Weird combo when you have some shooters. Anyway, like I said when we picked him, it's probably not gonna work. He's a smaller player and his skating doesn't look dramatically better. He's very smart though. But who are the 5'9" bottom sixers with average skating in the NHL right now? Or at any point in the last 25 years? I just don't see it.

Noah Collins (Towel guy) - There are seven d-men...ON HIS TEAM that are outscoring him. He's a 20 minute d-man and...whatever...he doesn't do much. He hits sometimes. He's on pace to have exactly the same output as last year. He handles the puck like he's throwing away a bag of dog ****.

Luke Devlin (C/LW) - Moved to the BCHL this year. Des Moines (USHL) told me they tried to keep him, but the BC got him. He's among West Kelowna's leaders in assists, but that's probably more of a product of rebounds than anything. He's not really a playmaker, he's a take it to the hole shooter. Skating is still heavy, but he looks a touch more nimble. Skill level has improved. He's more shifty, more deceptive. He's actually more physical and more of a bully than the defensive (really, just "offense-less") defenseman Collins. His hockey sense is a stopper (or at least a heavy limiter) though for being a super productive player, especially at even strength - beat late to react to passes, beat late to generate passing lanes, tunnel vision off the rush generally. He's the most improved player from our 2022 draft class though from a technical skill perspective, but the mental game is unlikely to be salvageable.

More to follow...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:25 am

More like special needs project update. Why don't we draft players that are good at something?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:56 am

Lol that’s a pretty sad draft update and only 1 year later

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:38 am

So Noah Collins is gonna be legit, nice.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:32 am

any further updates on Poulin?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:43 am

any further updates on Poulin?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:49 am

I checked with a source on that like a week and a half ago and they said "No update"...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am

More like special needs project update. Why don't we draft players that are good at something?

Well when you fill your scouting department with nepotism hires, this is what you get.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:23 am

Well when you fill your scouting department with nepotism hires, this is what you get.
indeed

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:51 am

Nepotism? Explain to me how Kevin Stevens, Gilles Meloche.............Warren You.........Craig Pat..................

Sorry, that's my phone, I gotta, I gotta take this...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:03 am

Chris Pryor - Assistant GM, friend of Hextall

Nick Pryor - Head of Amateur Scouting, Chris Pryor's son

There's another family/friend of Hextall connection elsewhere in scouting I think. Also, Hextall's son runs Integrated Development