GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby meow » Fri May 21, 2021 12:42 pm

The thing with Zucker and Martin was so weird. Firstly, that Zucker shouldn't trash talk Martin because of the size mismatch and secondly, that it's ok to insult him behind his back, but you shouldn't do it to his face.

I think Pierre might actually be on speed or something
I said this when he acquired Zucker. He’s a courageous guy. I have no issue with him doing this. Size shouldn’t factor into trash talking.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby mikey » Fri May 21, 2021 12:46 pm

The thing with Zucker and Martin was so weird. Firstly, that Zucker shouldn't trash talk Martin because of the size mismatch and secondly, that it's ok to insult him behind his back, but you shouldn't do it to his face.

Pierre does so many games during the playoffs, it's insane. Poor Forslund has to be around him all the time. I think they're doing both the Pens series and the Avs series, just bouncing back and forth...

If that guy isn't smelling some tables before he goes on the air, he's doing it wrong...

Orlando Penguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri May 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Re-watching the highlights.... I’m 100% certain Pierre would have came on-air if the Tanev goal was overturned.
Who was the PxP guy? It sounded like he was the Isles announcer. The Pens "got away" with a call, it was very borderline. And he goes "here go the refs again." Pretty homer ish line even if the game was on MSG let alone NBCSN nationally
That line ‘here come the refs again’ was Forslund referencing the idiot NYI fans. A few minutes earlier, one of them mentioned that there were 6,000 referees but none of them had armbands. And then when an Isle tripped over himself, those dopes lost their mind and Forslund dropped that line.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 21, 2021 12:56 pm

I said this when he acquired Zucker. He’s a courageous guy. I have no issue with him doing this. Size shouldn’t factor into trash talking.
martin's gonna go hit whoever has the puck (or had it 5.3 seconds ago). and he's gonna hit them hard. it's not like this makes Zucker a target. he's already a target. and martin's not exactly a "dirty" player. he hits late and does nonsense in scrums, but he keeps his shoulders under control and i don't think he's had a really controversial moment since he tried to sucker talbot.

so go for it. have some fun. you're gonna get tagged either way

meow

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby meow » Fri May 21, 2021 1:23 pm

martin's gonna go hit whoever has the puck (or had it 5.3 seconds ago). and he's gonna hit them hard. it's not like this makes Zucker a target. he's already a target. and martin's not exactly a "dirty" player. he hits late and does nonsense in scrums, but he keeps his shoulders under control and i don't think he's had a really controversial moment since he tried to sucker talbot.

so go for it. have some fun. you're gonna get tagged either way
Pretty much. It’s not a good habit to only trash talk guys you can beat up. It’s not trash talk at that point. It’s basically making promises. Martin is a lug nut, but you can still get him off his game by ripping his mouthpiece out of his mouth when it is hanging out.

tifosi77

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:47 pm

Am I showing my age or my out-of-touchness when I say my initial reaction to the big scrum was frustration that pretty much all 10 players still had their sticks and kept their gloves on? I get that the 5 for the Pens were their top 5 skaters, but at a certain point you need to have some bloody knuckles.

NTP66

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:47 pm

Half of them kept their sticks in their hands, yeah.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 21, 2021 2:32 pm

Am I showing my age or my out-of-touchness when I say my initial reaction to the big scrum was frustration that pretty much all 10 players still had their sticks and kept their gloves on? I get that the 5 for the Pens were their top 5 skaters, but at a certain point you need to have some bloody knuckles.
You’re effectively volunteering our top line to sign up for punching bag duty.

On this team, the knuckles can’t get bloody since we’d keep hitting the other guys hands with our faces.

Dickie Dunn

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 21, 2021 2:53 pm

The addition of Malkin appeared to help more in the "Carter can now play on the 3rd line" way than the "Malkin is a world class talent" way. And that's totally fine. I don't think it will stay this way of Malkin can get healthier.

Last night was the best team game I've seen them play since the last cup run.
TOI last night was interesting. Geno’s line was essentially the 4th line based on even strength numbers. The moronic penalty box orgy definitely played a factor, but grown ass man Jeff Carter led the way in forward ice time for every category, other than Sid besting his in even strength TOI.

Also of note is that everyone’s favorite “bug meets windshield” re-enactor had his standard 10 minutes TOI with no special teams minutes and three shifts totaling less than 2 minutes TOI in the third. I can practically taste him being paired with a pick for Seattle.

faftorial

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby faftorial » Fri May 21, 2021 3:00 pm

The addition of Malkin appeared to help more in the "Carter can now play on the 3rd line" way than the "Malkin is a world class talent" way. And that's totally fine. I don't think it will stay this way of Malkin can get healthier.

TOI last night was interesting. Geno’s line was essentially the 4th line based on even strength numbers. The moronic penalty box orgy definitely played a factor, but grown ass man Jeff Carter led the way in forward ice time for every category, other than Sid besting his in even strength TOI.

Also of note is that everyone’s favorite “bug meets windshield” re-enactor had his standard 10 minutes TOI with no special teams minutes and three shifts totaling less than 2 minutes TOI in the third. I can practically taste him being paired with a pick for Seattle.
:?:

DigitalGypsy66

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:04 pm

:?:
Pettersson.

faftorial

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby faftorial » Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Not one of JR's best signings at his pay.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm

gotta say it was pretty surprising to see Marino out on the #1PP on Carter's goal. heck of a sign of faith for a guy who's been a little uneven, at best.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 21, 2021 3:16 pm

I like Carter because he seems to bring a mental fortitude that other Pens don't have

for example, Sid vs him over their careers. They both have about 1000 career games played but Carter has 25% less penalty minutes (Carter has 150 more games played than Geno and Geno has almost twice as many penalty minutes). Carter doesn't really get bothered by bullshit which is good for him staying out of the box and also for him scoring goals rather than getting flustered

The Isles are going to try to do exactly what they did last night for every game of the series now. It's the 2012 Flyers formula. do some dumb ****, piss off Sid, Geno and Tanger and get them off their game. We can't fall for it. Obviously we need the refs to help us out a little bit but we also need to play our game
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 21, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 21, 2021 3:18 pm

Pettersson's pay is a little higher because he essentially played a year for free. $4 milion is still a (too) hefty tag.

Dickie Dunn

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 21, 2021 3:20 pm

gotta say it was pretty surprising to see Marino out on the #1PP on Carter's goal. heck of a sign of faith for a guy who's been a little uneven, at best.
I was as well, though in retrospect I'm not sure what other choice they had. Letang was still in the box and Ceci would have been totally out of his element. Matheson seems like the obvious choice but three lefties up high on the PP is not ideal. Marino looked really good out there though. Showed a lot of confidence with the puck, which is something I thought he lacked at times this season.

Dickie Dunn

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 21, 2021 3:31 pm

I like Carter because he seems to bring a mental fortitude that other Pens don't have
The best way that I've been able to think of to describe his game is that he plays like an adult. Very cerebral, no wasted energy, dictates a lot of what is happening on the ice, reads the offensive and defensive plays extremely well. There was a previous discussion here about players who look better in person than on TV and two of the names that came up were Rick Nash and Joe Thorton. While Carter's production has been surprisingly excellent in his short time here, I really get the same vibe from his game. Dude is a massive person with a massive presence on the ice who can play multiple positions and in all facets of the game. He has seen and done everything this game has to offer since he was a **** teenager two decades ago, knows what to do and when to do it and nothing you try to do is going to surprise him.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby mikey » Fri May 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Pettersson's pay is a little higher because he essentially played a year for free. $4 milion is still a (too) hefty tag.
Really good point, worth highlighting...

NTP66

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:54 pm

I don’t give a **** about his pay. He’s a pillow.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby mikey » Fri May 21, 2021 3:57 pm

You're a towel!

NTP66

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:59 pm

I don’t know how to respond to that, so thank you, my friend.

Dickie Dunn

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Playing one year for free doesn't mean you should be overpaid by $2ish MM per year for five **** years.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 21, 2021 4:21 pm

In “nobody cares” news...

I like 36 year old Carter because it’s how I played soccer. Tall with a lot of range, but not “fast”. Killer shot, play any position, clever passer, coach’s kid feel for the game, not super intense but super focused, and gets a lot done with not a lot of energy spent.

meow

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby meow » Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 pm

The best way that I've been able to think of to describe his game is that he plays like an adult. Very cerebral, no wasted energy, dictates a lot of what is happening on the ice, reads the offensive and defensive plays extremely well. There was a previous discussion here about players who look better in person than on TV and two of the names that came up were Rick Nash and Joe Thorton. While Carter's production has been surprisingly excellent in his short time here, I really get the same vibe from his game. Dude is a massive person with a massive presence on the ice who can play multiple positions and in all facets of the game. He has seen and done everything this game has to offer since he was a **** teenager two decades ago, knows what to do and when to do it and nothing you try to do is going to surprise him.
This is a good take. There was a shot last night of he and a ref chatting. Carter put his arm around him for a second then smiled and said something short. He definitely has a ton of respect from everyone.

NTP66

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 3

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 4:24 pm

meow longs for Carter’s touch.