Seattle Expansion Draft

King Colby

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby King Colby » Thu May 27, 2021 12:22 am

You're protecting a defenseman who plays 10 minutes a night?
Not going out of my way to do it but you have to protect a 3rd defenseman and it's either pettersson or matheson.

Lelldorin

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Lelldorin » Thu May 27, 2021 3:05 am

I would rather protect Matheson than Pettersson. But I would entertain the idea of protecting Riikola or another borderline NHLer so Seattle can pick their choice of Matheson/Pettersson instead of a forward...

The proper choice would probably be to explore the possibility of adding a third defenseman that we can protect from a team that has 4+ defenseman and risqué losing one to Seattle...

Morkle

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Morkle » Thu May 27, 2021 9:09 am

I would expose Matheson, but I don't know who's gonna pick up that contract willingly unless you send another first for them to do it.

willeyeam

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 27, 2021 9:16 am

I would expose Matheson, but I don't know who's gonna pick up that contract willingly unless you send another first for them to do it.
Well I guess that's kinda the point right, if they don't take him then they're going bottom of the barrel to someone that we won't miss if they take

King Colby

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby King Colby » Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 am

We're a prime candidate to send a pot sweetener if they take who we want them to take.

We'll give you Mccann for a 7th if you take Matheson. Doubt that happens bc mccann isn't good and mathesons contract is embarrassing but hey something like that. Maybe it's Legare and Pettersson. Whatever

Trip McNeely

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu May 27, 2021 11:47 am

You're protecting a defenseman who plays 10 minutes a night?
Not going out of my way to do it but you have to protect a 3rd defenseman and it's either pettersson or matheson.
This is a crazy thought....but what if Matheson and Pettersson have no trade value in the off-season, maybe even moreso because of the pandemic. But say Hextall does not like the direction of the team and only is really tied to Letang Marino and Dumo on the back end

Couldn’t he protect say Rikola, Letang and Dumo, leaving both Pettersson and Matheson exposed forcing Seattle to take one of those big contracts or bit player like Lafferty or Ruhwedal. Thinking out loud, the issue would be that McCann would be exposed so we would need to move him prior to the expansion draft. But if we could, Seattle would basically be screwed with who they are taking from the Penguins

Gaucho

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 27, 2021 11:52 am

This is getting bizarre.

Trip McNeely

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu May 27, 2021 12:01 pm

This is getting bizarre.
Let me dream Gaucho!

King Colby

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby King Colby » Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 pm

Or sign Ceci now and protect him. Man they need to keep that guy somehow.

Gaucho

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 27, 2021 12:12 pm

I don't even know what exactly your dream is here.

Trip McNeely

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu May 27, 2021 12:12 pm

I don't even know what exactly your dream is here.
Cap space bro

Dickie Dunn

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Or sign Ceci now and protect him. Man they need to keep that guy somehow.
I've had this thought as well. Ceci is somehow younger than Riikola.

King Colby

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby King Colby » Thu May 27, 2021 12:22 pm

Riikola is a nothing. The guy was 9th on the depth chart and every team on the league had a chance to claim him and his modest contract and chose not to. No real NHL future there.

King Colby

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby King Colby » Thu May 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Quite literally the only thing riikola ever did was have a good training camp a few years ago.

shmenguin

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Pettersson is the one who needs to leave. We should be trying to figure out how to correct that mistake.

Matheson can do stuff. The other guy is incapable.

I’m also not worried about McCann being exposed. He only contributes when you don’t need him to. He has no clue what he’s doing out there. Just goes out for a skate and sees what happens. He’s not talented enough to play that way but probably thinks he is.

mikey

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby mikey » Thu May 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Being in a spot to acquire a defenseman, while also having forwards who have production value but were recently worthless (Zucker, McCann, etc.) is a very advantageous position for two expert hockey execs...

willeyeam

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Being in a spot to acquire a defenseman, while also having forwards who have production value but were recently worthless (Zucker, McCann, etc.) is a very advantageous position for two expert hockey execs...
You think we need a dman? I guess assuming Ceci leaves there's a spot. But I'd think that's POJs. Unless we lose a dman to Seattle too.

mikey

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby mikey » Thu May 27, 2021 5:38 pm

You don't know what's going to happen with Ceci, you don't know that he's even gonna do as well again, you don't know that Math will do as well again. What if they fire Sully? Matheson is probably back in the toilet in a different system. You have a chance to upgrade your roster in the most important position in a situation where most teams have to downgrade, if you can find a top 4 d-man on the relative cheap, you take it. I don't care if POJ never ever plays another game because you acquired Vince Dunn for Jared McCann, that's just more ammunition for us...

The milk's gone bad, so if we have a chance to, uhh, whatever stupid thing you do in checkers where you stack checkers on top of each other to make a super checker with one of our feckless assets, then you do it...no question. You don't sit around and just bet that Ceci is thankful for a chance to play for peanuts here again, you don't sit around expect the best season of a player's career after he was moved to wing and then scratched in the preceding playoffs, and you don't bet on a 21 year old d-man who was totally utterly forgettable here when you have about one or two more shots at most with two HOF players...

willeyeam

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 27, 2021 6:04 pm

I agree. I guess I'll rephrase - do you think D is our biggest need if we're moving a Zucker or McCann in a hockey trade?

mikey

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby mikey » Thu May 27, 2021 6:43 pm

Biggest need isn't the question here. It's asset maximization. We have a forward that we're likely going to expose anyhow. They have a d-man that is likely to be swallowed up by the Kraken. There's a match there where we can get better, dump a player who has fallen out of favor with us, and put us in a position to give up a lesser player...

Lelldorin

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Lelldorin » Fri May 28, 2021 7:17 am

What mikey said - the value of the teams' fourth defensemen will be very low up to the expansion, so it is an opportunity to buy cheap.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby meow » Fri May 28, 2021 8:49 am

He has no clue what he’s doing out there. Just goes out for a skate and sees what happens.
McCann knows what he is doing. He’s avoiding areas of the ice like the plague. Try to remember the last time you saw him within 15 feet of the opponent’s net. You can’t because it has never happened.

Gaucho

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 28, 2021 9:03 am

Hextall should definitely explore what he can get for him, which is probably more than it should be.

willeyeam

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 28, 2021 9:09 am

I was all for seeing what we could get for Zucker, and still not opposed to it.. but he had a pretty decent series imo

willeyeam

Seattle Expansion Draft

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 am

in any case, I'd like to somehow turn McCann and Zucker into another Jeff Carter type of player. Whether it's moving them for D and signing someone or not, we need less perimeter players next year