Looks like the cap might go down next year

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Less cap space to improve the team should be exciting. I am completely shocked (though I guess I shouldn't be) that the NHL, a multibillion dollar organization, has no form of currency protection on a deal this size. What a bunch of buffoons.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e24040463/
Rogers Media isn’t the only struggling partner in the NHL’s $5.2-billion, 12-year Canadian broadcast deal. The league itself is hurting, too.

The contract with Rogers is paid in Canadian dollars, which sharply declined in value against the U.S. dollar after the deal was announced on Nov. 26, 2013. As a result, the NHL is taking a large hit in the contract’s first season: One NHL governor, who spoke anonymously because league officials are forbidden to publicly discuss NHL business, said the currency hit for the 2014-2015 season was pegged at about 17 per cent, which, based on the annual average rights fee of $433-million, works out to a $73.61-million loss for the league.

This comes in addition to the revenue declines that all seven Canadian-based NHL teams are experiencing. They generate about 35 per cent of the league’s revenue, which hit a record total of $3.66-billion (U.S.) for the 2013-14 season. The NHL tracks its revenue in U.S. dollars.
A major loss on the Canadian TV deal for 2014-2015 will have an impact on the salary cap, currently $69-million (U.S.) per team this season. The cap is based on the league’s total hockey-related revenue (HRR), so it’s difficult to estimate the specific effect of the Rogers deal, but based on the league’s own calculations, it could result in a $1.3-million (U.S.) drop per team in the cap for next season.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Pens will have more money to retool this offseason with fewer spots to fill.

Flower only goes up .5 mil, 9 come off the books in Martin and Ehrhoff alone.

If they use more of the kids on the blue line, we can fill in the bottom 6 holes + a top 6 with around 10-11 mil to spend.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Everything is down, but the NHL brass thinks everything is running smoothly.

Idiots.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Attendance was up league-wide this year (indoor games only), it was up 250,000 (to 21.4 million) from last season, fwiw...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:44 pm

If they use more of the kids on the blue line, we can fill in the bottom 6 holes + a top 6 with around 10-11 mil to spend.
Maatta and Dupuis (hopefully) off LTIR. Full season of Perron's salary. Cole, Dumoulin, and Bennett are RFAs, though only Cole is probably in line for a raise.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-xxx
Dupuis-Sutter-Spaling

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-xxx
Lovejoy-Scuderi

Fleury

That's a cap hit of $62.6 million. The cap dropping to $67.7 million leaves about $5 million for a backup goalie, improvements to the top six, a fourth line, re-signing Cole, and depth improvements. Good luck FGMBG.

Edit: Website I looked at carried Ehrhoff's cap hit to next year for some reason. Cap hit for next year should be $58.6 million, leaving a little over $9 million. Certainly more doable, but that's still a lot of roster to improve.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Maatta and Dupuis (hopefully) off LTIR. Full season of Perron's salary. Cole, Dumoulin, and Bennett are RFAs, though only Cole is probably in line for a raise.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-xxx
Dupuis-Sutter-Spaling

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-xxx
Lovejoy-Scuderi

Fleury

That's a cap hit of $62.6 million. The cap dropping to $67.7 million leaves about $5 million for a backup goalie, improvements to the top six, a fourth line, re-signing Cole, and depth improvements. Good luck FGMBG.
The Scuderi buyout has to be coming. If they could unload Spaling's contract I would be fine with that as well.

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-xxx
Dupuis-Sutter-Spaling

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-xxx
Lovejoy-Scuderi

Fleury

Edit: Website I looked at carried Ehrhoff's cap hit to next year for some reason. Cap hit for next year should be $58.6 million, leaving a little over $9 million. Certainly more doable, but that's still a lot of roster to improve.
Buy out Scuderi. Find a way to pawn Kunitz to someone for whatever they can get. Trade Sutter for a young winger.

xxx-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kapanen-Malkin-Perron
Dupuis-Spaling-(Winnick/Comeau/Downie)
(Lapierre)-Sundqvist-(Comeau/Downie)

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-(Cole)
Lovejoy-Doumalin
(Chorney)

Fleury
Zatkoff

Spaling is a cheaper third line center than Sutter. Surround him with Dupuis and one of Winnick, Comeau, and Downie and the line is good. Bring back Lapierre for the fourth line and another of Winnick, Comeau, and Downie to the mix. Add Sundqvist to the fourth line (maybe move Laps to wing and go with a two-center model). Now the fourth line is good.

On defense, re-sign Cole and Chorney.

In goal, no need for anything more than Zatkoff and his league minimum contract.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Spaling has been terrible. I cant see him being the solution at 3rd line center.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 pm

wait, we're rehashing the "replace Sutter with Spaling" thing?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:26 pm

One thing we can kind of say now, whereas, we could not under Bylsma's globetrotter hockey is that these players like Sutter, Spaling, Scuderi, Goc, Dumoulin/Chorney, etc. these lower-end, but intelligent, though somewhat-vanilla players do have hope for success here...whether we like or not, is a matter for the (public) courts...but they are not as under-served here as they were or would have been with Bylsma...

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:30 pm

I am completely shocked (though I guess I shouldn't be) that the NHL, a multibillion dollar organization, has no form of currency protection on a deal this size.
And with only two currencies involved, hedging isn't terribly complicated....they just need an investment bank to handle that for them.

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:31 pm

My apologies. Didn't realize it was off-limits.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:32 pm

One thing we can kind of say now, whereas, we could not under Bylsma's globetrotter hockey is that these players like Sutter, Spaling, Scuderi, Goc, Dumoulin/Chorney, etc. these lower-end, but intelligent, though somewhat-vanilla players do have hope for success here...whether we like or not, is a matter for the (public) courts...but they are not as under-served here as they were or would have been with Bylsma...
My issue with Spaling is he doesnt add anything incomparison to a guy like Comeau who is making 1/3 of what he makes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Re: "currency protection" - Can yous just touch briefly and simply (if possible) on what you're talking about for the layman...? I understand conceptually what you mean, but I don't know a thing about how it would work in practice...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:35 pm

My issue with Spaling is he doesnt add anything incomparison to a guy like Comeau who is making 1/3 of what he makes.
But Spaling was coming off the season that Comeau had this year...how would he not be in line for a raise...? We picked Comeau off the scrap heap because really he's a fourth line player, and showed that down the stretch...Spaling was an established third liner...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:39 pm

sutter should be traded. not because he's not valuable, but because this team isn't winning next year, he can't be re-signed, we need to re-stock our tool shed, and he's the only realistic tradeable asset we have.

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Are you sure its not because you dislike him?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm

but because this team isn't winning next year

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm

sutter should be traded. not because he's not valuable, but because this team isn't winning next year, he can't be re-signed, we need to re-stock our tool shed, and he's the only realistic tradeable asset we have.
We don't often agree -- but I think this marks twice in one day. :fist:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Joe Haggerty
Gary Bettman said the salary cap for next year projects to be between $71.7m and $73M despite flagging value of the Canadian dollar
WHO DO WE BELIEVE?!

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:56 pm

But Spaling was coming off the season that Comeau had this year...how would he not be in line for a raise...? We picked Comeau off the scrap heap because really he's a fourth line player, and showed that down the stretch...Spaling was an established third liner...
Guys with Spalings production are a dime a dozen. Comeau and Downie are perfect examples. Nothing from Spaling has shown me that he is an established 3rd liner.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Are you sure its not because you dislike him?
quite, actually.

he's played well in april for the second straight year. he's good to have. he's not going to be worth the money he will get paid next summer, though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:10 pm

but because this team isn't winning next year
even if your assessment of my opinion was valid, you don't know what troll means. there's literature about it on the old board, apparently.

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:18 pm

My apologies. Didn't realize it was off-limits.
I don't think it's off limits, but Spaling is a downgrade from Sutter. One of my complaints with Sutter is his faceoff ability is below average (if you consider 50% average). Sutter typically takes over 1000 faceoffs a year. I'm not sure Spaling has taken 1000 faceoffs in his career. And when he does, he is usually worse than Sutter on faceoffs. I think Spaling may get better production out of his linemates, but this is debateable as well. Sutter>>Spaling.

The biggest problem out there, whether the cap goes down or up, is this is not a great year for free agent forwards, even for 3rd and 4th liners. Adams, Martin, Ehrhoff, and Greiss should go out as contracts. That's 10.7M right there. I doubt that Downie comes back. He put up great production for a 3rd liner, but he also took too many penalties. Half of those are probably on reputation alone, unfortunately.

I would buyout Scuderi. That really shouldn't be a consideration. He has played well, but his mobility is an issue. His inability to give an effective breakout pass is an issue. I think Lovejoy makes Scuderi obsolete. He may not be as good on the PK, but he has a bit more offensive ability for a bottom pairing defenseman. Buying out Scuderi opens up another 2.1M next year, 1.6M in 16-17, and about 2.4M in the following two years.

After Scuderi, for me, the Pens need to find a way to cut ties with Dupuis and Kunitz. For Dupuis, it pains me to say it. He is truly one of the heart and soul players of this team, but with the injury history of this team the last few years, I don't see how you can keep a 36 year old who had major knee surgery, and two blood clots in less than a year. This team needs to get younger and faster. I know Duper is a workout freak, but again, I can't go into a season with Duper in the starting lineup only to go down again a month into the season. With Kunitz, I think he may be able to be effective on a 3rd line. He can't be guaranteed a top 6 role. 3rd line and 2nd PP unit....but if you want to believe Dejan that the Pens haven't been happy with him all season, then there is a chance he is on the buyout block as well. For now, I only have Scuderi's money coming off the books.

For the guys that are left, I'd look to bring Lapierre back at the same price. He's good on faceoffs, and showing the playoff warrior mentality. He would be a nice upgrade over Craig Adams. I believe Comeau will be back, as I've read reports he loves it here, and is grateful for getting more than 4th line minutes the whole season. His injury and lack of production afterwards is going to hurt his value. I can't see him getting anything more than 2M at this point. Bennett will get resigned, and I believe this will his last hurrah.

If you get rid of Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams, Downie, Scuderi, Kunitz, and Dupuis....this team has gotten MUCH younger just by those subtractions. Up front, I'd look to sign a guy like Michael Frolik. I liked him at the deadline, and he never got an extension done with Winnipeg. He's only 27, has some speed, and has the versatility to play all 3 forward positions. Frolik could probably be had for 4-4.5M a year. I for one, do not believe Kapanen is going to be ready to step in from the outset of the season. I think expecting him to immediately step in at this point is putting unrealistic expectations on him. Give Bennett a shot on Malkin's wing to start the season. If Bennett can't produce after a month or two, bring up Kapanen and give him a shot there. If neither can get the job done, then you have a move to make at the deadline to bring in another top 6 forward. Sundqvist, on the other hand, I think has a better chance of making the club. I think it is easier to step into a bottom 6 role where your primary responsibility is not to come in and score. He can come in and be a defensively responsible forward and provide some additional youth. Again, not a given he makes it, but I think he has a better shot than Kapanen at this point. Still need another guy for the 4th line, and maybe another depth signing, but if you do all this, Dupuis retires, Kunitz gets bought out, there is a ton of cap space to work with. A big key for me in this Penguins lineup is guys that can play multiple positions. When you have such little depth in the minors, and you have a history of injuries, you need guys that can move up and down the lineup, play both wings, etc.

Frolik-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Comeau
Sundqvist-Lapierre-X

x-Wilson, Megna, Ebbett

On defense

Letang-Cole
Maata-Pouliot
Chorney/Dumoulin-Lovejoy
xChorney/Dumoulin, Harrington first callup.

Again, this defense isn't very expensive. Having Letang and Maata back, Lovejoy in a bottom pair role would make a world of difference. Chorney and Dumoulin have shown that they can play. Being able to be as sound in the playoffs is all I need to see for now. Pouliot still has some work to do, but paired with Maata or Cole, he will have some room to roam.

Just because we have the space, doesn't mean we have to spend it. Next year's UFA class isn't good. We have tons of young, affordable guys on defense. Play them. Wait until the deadline or 2016 free agency to retool. Don't spend money on crap just because you have the space to spend.

I haven't calculated it out, but this team would defintely be under the cap even with a Scuderi and Kunitz buyout, and a Dupuis retirement. Maybe Dupuis starts the season on the 3rd line, and Comeau plays the 4th line spot. I dunno what the rules are for retiring in season, and the affect on cap hit.....because if Dupuis did come back and had another clot, I would expect that would be the end. Save your money, because in 2016-2017 Perron will be getting a raise, and so will Maata.

Goalie, anyone with a pulse. Go with Zatkoff to start. If Murray plays well in the first half of WBS season, bring him up. I believe Jarry should be in WBS too. If none of those guys are seen as capable, there are always plenty of capable cheap backups out there.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:20 pm

missed you FLPensFan <3