DK accuses McGuire of interfering with the game

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:58 am

Until I see the footage being referred to, I don't know what to think. But DK is making a pointed accusation.
What in the world would have compelled NBC color commentator Pierre McGuire, during Game 1 at the Garden and in between the benches, to raise his right arm to call attention to a referee while Steve Downie was crosschecking one of the Rangers in front of him?

It requires reading body language, but McGuire looked disgusted by what he was witnessing and his motion was suggesting to the ref something like, ‘Hey, are you seeing this?’

The network, of course, didn’t air this. But it could be seen on the in-house feed at the Garden, which is available to media covering the event.

If the Penguins can get a copy of this footage to corroborate, they’d have every grounds to ask NBC to remove McGuire from future broadcasts. It’s not about overt favoritism. That happens. It’s about interfering with the actual game — in any way — toward assisting one team over another.

I’ll put out a request right here, in fact: If anyone has access to this footage, please contact this site, and I’ll publish it in full context for everyone to see.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:03 am

Wasn't there a ref right there watching that whole situation? For some reason I remember thinking "Downie, you idiot, the ref is right there!"

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 am

Anything to get Pierre off my TV.
Last edited by meow on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 am

Wasn't there a ref right there watching that whole situation? For some reason I remember thinking "Downie, you idiot, the ref is right there!"
I honestly can't remember.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:13 am

Is this much different than 18,000 people booing or otherwise hooting or hollering while something is going on behind the play...? In order for a ref to see Pierre raising his hand, he has to be looking at the kerfuffle in front of him...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:24 am

Much ado about nothing.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:25 am

Is this much different than 18,000 people booing or otherwise hooting or hollering while something is going on behind the play....
Fans doing it as opposed to a broadcaster? I'd say very much so, yeah. Not that I'm inclined to believe this was as big of a deal as Dejan is going to make it seem, but hypothetically if a broadcaster was motioning to the official about an infraction on the ice, yeah that can't happen

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 am

Perhaps...I didn't see the footage yet, but again, no matter who is motioning, someone has to be looking...I'm not concerned...

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 am

I don't remember the exact dialogue now but Pierre was interviewing Vigneault behind the bench last game and Pierre said something that crossed my mind at the time as something that could be construed as giving advice to the coach. Not a biggie, but I did think it a little bit weird at the time.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 am

Is this much different than 18,000 people booing or otherwise hooting or hollering while something is going on behind the play....
Fans doing it as opposed to a broadcaster? I'd say very much so, yeah. Not that I'm inclined to believe this was as big of a deal as Dejan is going to make it seem, but hypothetically if a broadcaster was motioning to the official about an infraction on the ice, yeah that can't happen
In terms of the effect on the game, Nil. Much ado about nothing.
In terms of Pierre's broadcasting, that's gotta be a no-no, and it should be handled behind closed doors.

Nothing really to see here.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:01 am

at worst, it's unprofessional. but if the refs are looking to pierre to help them ref the game, that's a ref problem - not a pierre problem.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:05 am

Since the refs don't like to be shown up and nobody likes Pierre, this should actually work in the Pens favor.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 am

can DK accuse Milbury next?

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 am

at worst, it's unprofessional. but if the refs are looking to pierre to help them ref the game, that's a ref problem - not a pierre problem.
I agree and disagree. I agree that it's unprofessional and shows a full-on bias. I think we all hear biases one way or another in the form of words, but those words -- unless offering advice to a coach or player, as someone mentioned may have happened, as well -- generally don't impact the game.

Now, with that being said, Pierre pointing to the cross-check or even offering a hint at advice to Vigneault during an on-the-bench interview likely have little to no impact on the game. If the ref is looking to Pierre, the real problem lies with the ref, not Pierre. If Vigneault is relying on what Pierre offers to him, the real problem is Vigneault.

All of that being said, if either is true, it's extremely unprofessional and brings down the quality of coverage. It should be expected of the NHL and its partners, given that nothing seems to be done in the mold of professionalism -- but that doesn't make it right.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 am

For me, this is on NBC more than the league. If you are going to have commentators in between the benches there better not be a bias. If commentators are showing a bias the league loses a lot credibility and has a result the league needs to do something.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:04 am

Doesn't matter if there was. No tv commentator should be interfering with the game in anyway.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:05 am

can DK accuse Milbury next?
And Roenick.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:07 am

Is this much different than 18,000 people booing or otherwise hooting or hollering while something is going on behind the play...? In order for a ref to see Pierre raising his hand, he has to be looking at the kerfuffle in front of him...
No, it is not the same. McGuire is at ice level, right inside the boards, is mic'd up, has access to the players, refs, etc. He should not be making any arm motions to draw attention to that area in any way. His job is to remain 100% neutral to the situation. The only reason his arm should raise is to block a puck or stick which might be headed toward him. He is not a fan.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 am

Sour grapes on PM's part?

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:10 am

No, it's an NBC problem. You can not have one of your broadcasters influencing a game - or even having the possibility of it! How smokes, how can anyone not see that?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:13 am

Well, if you think it's that big of an issue, maybe no broadcasters at all between the benches. Any little thing they do MIGHT have an influence on the game.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 am

I'd like to see the video but if that's true it's extremely unprofessional, at best.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:15 am

Yeah, I 100% agree with Pitts. Between-the-benches commentators should not be trying to influence a game or refs, if DK's reporting is correct.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:22 am

No, it's an NBC problem. You can not have one of your broadcasters influencing a game - or even having the possibility of it! How smokes, how can anyone not see that?
i meant it in terms of how it relates to a call being made on the ice. if pierre did this, it speaks poorly of him and his network. but DK is spinning it in a way where the league should be concerned about having actual game play interfered with. which is nonsense. he's a guy that may have made a gesture. so i'll put it this way, if the league thinks that act made a difference, their priority is dealing with the idiot ref who was influenced. not asking NBC to have their guys butt out.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:25 am

I really want to see the Pens clean house after tonight's game - make Pierre the new GM, and Rossi the new HC.
Last edited by Tico Rick on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.