Meow's Morning Meeting - 4-22-15 vs. NYR - GAME 4

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:41 am

Yeah, the team has the compete, but you can just tell how the goal scoring ability has been sucked away by having no puck movers on the blue line. It hampers offense way more than some give it credit for. When the defense should be

Letang-Maatta
Erhoff-Martin
Pouliot-Cole
x Scuderi, Lovejoy

but two thirds of that isn't even healthy...it's going to have it's effects.

I believe the team is structured, playing, and focused correctly. These aren't losses from lack of effort, which are the only losses I can't stomach. But remember...we were up 3-1 on the Rangers last season. Keep the faith.
This combined with the lack of a power play (which was happening before Letang got hurt) have really killed this team. I do take some consolation in the performance of many of the young defenseman and that we should have some cap relief next year. If one or two young forwards could step up or we get someone in the offseason we might have a chance next year.

Miracles happen and that's what it would take for this team to come back with Letang, Maata, and Dupuis out and Geno running on empty.
Yeah, it really is a shame. Next season does look good on the defensive front, even if you let both big FA's walk.

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-Cole
Lovejoy-Harrington/Dumolin

I've moved pretty firmly to the "buyout/trade/retire Scuderi" camp. There needs to be a youth movement next season, just wish there was more forward prospects to pick from.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:48 am

I'm a little excited that Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, Wilson, Kapanen, Rust, and Sundqvist could all be on the opening roster for next season (and of course Maatta, who's still younger than all but KK in that group). I say let em play.
Last edited by Gaucho on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 am

Pens are playing as well as this roster can. They could never handle strong defensive teams that keep them to the outside, and they aren't. They can't keep up with the ranger speed either, which is why every time a penguin gets space to rush the zone, his other two linemates are in a line change.

The rangers don't have the offensive punch to win the cup i don't think.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:51 am

I'm really hoping that Poulliot can play tomorrow. Despite his defensive lapses, his puck moving ability would be a big help.

I also want to see Beau play tomorrow just so I can see what he looks like in his last game in a Pens' uniform. :twisted:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:51 am

I could be wrong, but I expect this to be a cakewalk, more or less, for the Hawks.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 am

I'm a little excited that Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, Wilson, Kapanen, Rust, and Sundqvist could all be on the opening roster for next season. I say let em play.
I think given the poor Free Agent class this offseason, now is the time to see what we have in some of these younger guys. Use 2015-2016 to see who can be used going forward. Kapanen though could be a stretch for the opening night roster. I'd prefer he get some seasoning in the AHL first.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 am

There just isn't a way to logistically "rebuild" without moving a huge piece. With Letang finally playing to his pay grade, it's hard to want to move him. Combined with his health issues and you probably won't have many takers. But sure, if you can package him and Bennett together and get yourself a McDavid, go for it. The only thing moving a Letang at this point will really bring is cap relief, because Sid and Geno aren't going anywhere.
i don't think you can trade players who are on LTIR, so i wouldn't worry about letang going anywhere.
I think you have to get permission from the league, which is why CBJ was able to trade Horton to the Leafs.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:54 am

I'm really hoping that Poulliot can play tomorrow. Despite his defensive lapses, his puck moving ability would be a big help.

I also want to see Beau play tomorrow just so I can see what he looks like in his last game in a Pens' uniform. :twisted:
related note...we'll never see adams play again. boo hoo.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:54 am

I'm a little excited that Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, Wilson, Kapanen, Rust, and Sundqvist could all be on the opening roster for next season. I say let em play.
I'm really trying not to be ultra negative, but that list does not excite me all that much. Pouliot is what he is, which is a flashy player who is good with the puck and bad everywhere else. Wilson looks promising but still a 3rd liner at best. Rust kind of stinks. Sundqvist is unknown, hopefully he can translate to the NHL well.

Dumoulin is a 3rd pairing D which is about as unexciting of a role as possible Harrington has some work to do.

And Kapanen, I wouldn't rush him to the show just because you have nobody else.

So i guess i failed thats about as negative as you can get haha...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 am

I think "getting younger" doesn't mean bringing in a bunch of 23 year old might-bes. They just need to rid themselves of their glut of ineffective 33 year olds. Go more along the lines of what shero did in finding a good set of 27-29 year olds who still have 3 or 4 of their best years left. But then don't get attached and extend them to precarious contracts...

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 am

It's frustrating because we're there...we're in these games, we're structured and well-intentioned...we might be just a Letang away from a tie series or even a 3-1 lead...the margin is so tight...but Letang is a player that is worth that one-goal swing, so to speak...I'm just frustrated, not disappointed with the team...this is what I expected, HCMJ has us playing the right way, Fleury has been stellar, etc. but we just can't quite reach the gold ring...
Just said this somewhere else...losing Letang in the last week of the season killed any playoff hope we had. I do believe a healthy Letang means the Pens are winning the series right now. He means that much.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 am

Even having Ehrhoff would help. Not quite as much as Letang, but it would push someone down the lineup who is currently playing over their head.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

Even having Ehrhoff would help. Not quite as much as Letang, but it would push someone down the lineup who is currently playing over their head.
Yeah, with the exception of Martin, all of the D guys have been playing more minutes than they could realistically be able to handle effectively.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 am

The Pens first goal was a result of Domoulin getting a shot from the point through.
Pretty sure it was Lovejoy's shot.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:15 am

Yeah, with the exception of Martin, all of the D guys have been playing more minutes than they could realistically be able to handle effectively.
Yeah, but in Martin's case, he's been carrying the D corps for like 3 weeks. Dude has to be immensely gassed. He could probably handle it if there were someone else to take the load off, but he's been playing huge minutes for weeks.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:16 am

Yeah, but in Martin's case, he's been carrying the D corps for like 3 weeks. Dude has to be immensely gassed. He could probably handle it if there were someone else to take the load off, but he's been playing huge minutes for weeks.
Yep. His game is so heavily scrutinized by some, but he's been the leader since Letang went down. He'll go somewhere else and get his #1 Dman money from a team that needs someone as bad.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 am

I could be wrong, but I expect this to be a cakewalk, more or less, for the Hawks.
I expected it to be that way for the Rangers (the whole playoffs). Now I'm not so sure, and think the Habs could have the easier ticket. Out west... yeah, I just don't see the Ducks or Blues being able to overcome the Hawks either.

Defensively, I'm in the "excited for the future boat" just because I like younger teams. Having depth of Wilson, Rust, & Sundqvist also is exciting for me. I'm happy.

On the other hand, I'm kinda sick of looking up puppy gifs.

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:33 am

Extremely proud of this team for everything they've shown. I'd rather sqeak into the playoffs and play like this than be the top seed and looking like they have the past 5 years. They've shown balls, and they've played as hard as they could to hang with the overall #1 seed without 3 of their top 4 defenseman, while losing some of their fastest wingers, and having one of their stars hurt with a bad back.

You have my respect, Pens. You did good.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:33 am

That one samoyed gif where it sticks it tongue out and turns it head got me to crack a smile, and normally I'm extremely tense during playoff games, nervous, fidgety...but that was just adorable...

Solidsnake

Postby Solidsnake » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:25 pm

I can see Letang taking frustrated penalties in this series

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Playoff overtime is just the worst. It's like waiting to get kicked in the nuts, only the person that's about to do it keeps fake kicking and you never know when it's actually going to happen.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:53 pm

I can see Letang taking frustrated penalties in this series
He's been pretty cool almost all year long, minus the one game where he was expelled for sass...

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:34 pm

The Pens first goal was a result of Domoulin getting a shot from the point through.
Pretty sure it was Lovejoy's shot.
My fault. My point regardless of who shot the puck is the Pens are given ample opportunity to get shots off from the point given how much the Rangers are collapsing. The problem is a majority of our defense cant or wont.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:04 pm

We don't have the lateral mobility or ability to get those shots through...I'd rather cycle than have a shot plunk off of shin pads...we can't open those shooting lanes from distance with enough regularity to make it a concern for me...I know the skill and skating limitations of the group, generating offense from the backline is just not in the cards...

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:09 pm

This about sums up my feelings.