Mark Recchi & Frank Pietrangelo 1991 playoff used sticks

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am

Not many tips happening in warmies. He’s gotta let someone else actually shot it for him to be involved on a play

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:31 pm

That's when I'm filling up bottles, boys...the guys that play work up a powerful thirst...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:06 pm

He basically said it’s a whole other level even ECHL vs college.
Most of the time, puck marks are related to the quality of puck. A&R pucks leave a black/brown color mark. Inglasco leave a solid black mark.

As far as the quality of shooter being a driving force between the type of mark being left behind. I'm not really sure about that. Depending on the level of college hockey, the shooting difference may be huge; it may be minimal. Like if he played ACHA D3 then went to ECHL - yeah I'm sure there is a big difference there. But between NCAA D1 and ECHL - not a huge difference as far as velocity goes. As you step up level by level, the big difference is the speed at which plays are made and how "small" guys shoot it. Shooting it small means it gets off their stick a fraction quicker. It is flatter. It is a few inches more accurate. The velocity difference is negligible for the most part.

Edit. Also, I don't have any experience yo-yoing between levels. I basically started each year at a level and stayed there all year, so my gear got universally beat up as the year went on so making comparisons was more difficult
@mikey and I have talked about this in the past, but I think we've had the chance to skate with/against minor pros at that sort of second tier level. I could keep up with the guys I played with who were on the Icers (PSU club team, about as good as a lower level NCAA D1 or good D2 varsity squad at the time), but the summer I played with two Coast Leaguers twice a week, jeebus........ the way they played angles off of caroms was particularly nuts, they were always already headed to the right spot before I was able to even recognize where the puck was going to contact the wall and at what angle.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Yeas and yeas ago some over on lgp posted about super-slig Steve McKenna showing up to their "look at me I'm in a league so I have the right to look down at most people that talk hockey" league.. and skated circles around everyone and made them feel stupid.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:28 pm

He basically said it’s a whole other level even ECHL vs college.
Most of the time, puck marks are related to the quality of puck. A&R pucks leave a black/brown color mark. Inglasco leave a solid black mark.

As far as the quality of shooter being a driving force between the type of mark being left behind. I'm not really sure about that. Depending on the level of college hockey, the shooting difference may be huge; it may be minimal. Like if he played ACHA D3 then went to ECHL - yeah I'm sure there is a big difference there. But between NCAA D1 and ECHL - not a huge difference as far as velocity goes. As you step up level by level, the big difference is the speed at which plays are made and how "small" guys shoot it. Shooting it small means it gets off their stick a fraction quicker. It is flatter. It is a few inches more accurate. The velocity difference is negligible for the most part.

Edit. Also, I don't have any experience yo-yoing between levels. I basically started each year at a level and stayed there all year, so my gear got universally beat up as the year went on so making comparisons was more difficult
@mikey and I have talked about this in the past, but I think we've had the chance to skate with/against minor pros at that sort of second tier level. I could keep up with the guys I played with who were on the Icers (PSU club team, about as good as a lower level NCAA D1 or good D2 varsity squad at the time), but the summer I played with two Coast Leaguers twice a week, jeebus........ the way they played angles off of caroms was particularly nuts, they were always already headed to the right spot before I was able to even recognize where the puck was going to contact the wall and at what angle.
Everything they do is next level. Catch passes. Bat pucks out of the air. Use their feet to corral pucks. Elevate the puck.

That’s why I’m so pro player. I know the talent level these guys have and the speed at which they play with.