FreeCandy44

Pens Gm FLIPS on Tribune Review columnist

Postby FreeCandy44 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:50 pm

http://triblive.com/mobile/8209495-96/r ... uins-final

Proof that nobody likes Rob Rossi...

Solidsnake

Postby Solidsnake » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:54 pm

I agree on the Ehrhoff part but other than that Rossi has been butt hurt since his two buddies were fired

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Seems kind of unprofessional. Isn't that kind of stuff off the record?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm

It usually is...no way ***** should have reported that.

Unsurprising though.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:03 am

Petty request: can we not link to Rossi's article but instead post it (or the important parts) in spoiler form? Felt dirty just clicking on the link.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:07 am

Reporters have thinner skin than 12 year-old girls.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:07 am

Petty request: can we not link to Rossi's article but instead post it (or the important parts) in spoiler form? Felt dirty just clicking on the link.
Same. I feel tricked.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 am

Seems kind of unprofessional. Isn't that kind of stuff off the record?
Yeah, this is a no-no...I guess JR is right, he's a (expletive) jerk...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:19 am

Dejan Kovacevic4-21-2015, 12:11 am
I'll say one thing about this and nothing more: Yes, I saw and heard it. Things like this happen all the time in this business. It's not at all unusual. The only difference in this case is that it was written about, even though the exchange was not an interview and not on the record. That is something I have never done and will never do. If I do, I will personally write all of you refund checks for your subscriptions.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 am

The hate on Twitter is amazing.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:29 am

By the way what editor in his right mind would allow that through?

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:40 am

Rossi is getting everything he deserves. Unprofessional and incredibly childish of him.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:41 am

#GoSellIceCream

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:46 am

The article in question:
Crisis is supposed to reveal true character, right?

General manager Jim Rutherford lost his cool after the Penguins' 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers on Monday night to fall within two defeats of a first-round elimination in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

After exiting a media elevator and while walking with other reporters to the Penguins' dressing room, Rutherford addressed this columnist, a frequent critic since his hiring last June, in an obscenity-laced diatribe.

“Thanks for your support,” Rutherford said repeatedly.

“You're a (expletive) jerk,” Rutherford said repeatedly.

Rutherford followed the jerk comment with a suggestion to “go sell ice cream now,” then a challenge to look him in the eye, which I did while explaining my role as Trib Total Media's lead sports columnist.

My role is to provide opinion.

“Well, your opinion is (expletive),” Rutherford said.

As (expletive) as my opinion might be, it remains that Rutherford has botched an attempted retooling of the Penguins. If this unfortunate incident is any indication, he lacks the poise necessary to move that project foward.

Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle, the Penguins' majority co-owners who attended Game 3 at Consol Energy Center, should make the call to hand over Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury to a general manager who cares less about what a columnist writes and more about the salary cap.

And Rutherford either doesn't care about or can't figure out that salary cap.

That's the only sense I can make of his Penguins having to play five of their final seven regular-season games with only five defensemen. Too close to the cap after the NHL trade deadline, the Penguins could not sustain injuries to defensemen Kris Letang and Christian Ehrhoff.

Rutherford inherited Letang and his $7.25 million cap hit.

But he added Ehrhoff, at a cost of $4 million against the cap, even though the last thing the Penguins needed last offseason was another veteran defenseman. Ray Shero, Rutherford's predecessor, had spent a majority of his draft picks stocking the Penguins' farm system with defensemen.

So, yeah, Rutherford's signing of Ehrhoff only enhanced my opinion that he was not qualified to improve the Penguins, who had stagnated under Shero's leadership after reaching the Cup Final in 2008, then winning the Cup in '09.

The day Rutherford was announced as general manager, I asked him about his final five years as GM with Carolina. In those years, Carolina never reached the playoffs.

Since the NHL instituted a salary cap for the 2005-06 season, only three of Rutherford's teams have qualified for the playoffs. The Hurricanes won the Cup in 2006 and lost to the Penguins in the '09 Eastern final.

Nine of the Penguins who dressed against the Rangers in Game 3, including backup goalie Thomas Greiss, were brought to the organization by Rutherford. He has brazenly continued Shero's penchant for trading draft picks for players to help the Penguins win now.

But the Penguins aren't winning now.

A top-four Eastern seed in each of the previous seven years, they did not qualify for the playoffs until the final night of the regular season and are in the postseason as the No. 8 seed.

A franchise branded for its offensive prowess, co-owned by the team's all-time leading scorer in Lemieux and employing two former two-time scoring champions in Crosby and Malkin, the Penguins finished 19th in goals during the regular season.

They have scored only two goals in their two losses to the Rangers during this series, which they likely would trail, 0-3, if not for Crosby's two-goal surge in a 4-3 win in Game 2 on Saturday night.

Have injuries derailed Rutherford's best-laid plans?

Absolutely.

But the Penguins' 343 man-games lost in the regular season were considerably fewer than the league-leading 529 in the last year of Shero's tenure.

Shero's final team won its division, albeit against weaker competition, and came within a win of returning to the Eastern final.

Under Rutherford, the Penguins have regressed.

They need a leader.

And on Monday night, Rutherford's behavior was far short of that.
No context to the rant. This fellow is a top-notch reporter. A great representative of Pittsburgh. He is a "journalist."
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:57 am

I am losing loads of respect for the Trib, especially Josh Yohe. I figured he knew better.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 am

GMJR is not incorrect.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:08 am

I am losing loads of respect for the Trib, especially Josh Yohe. I figured he knew better.
He's an oaf, so of course he doesn't.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:10 am

Also: this confirms my suspicion that Rossi sells Girl Scout cookies (not ice cream).

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:18 am

Rossi is getting everything he deserves. Unprofessional and incredibly childish of him.
This.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:35 am

Further: What kind of "editor" prints this kind of sophomoric trash? That paper was founded on being a pile of **** and has only gotten worse over the years.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:03 am

My god. This is just garbage and childish like others have stated. Rossi has become a complete tool. I'm done following him. I hope this just further alienates him.

Does he have some legit stuff about the Pens? Absolutely. But the way he is presenting it is over the top childish and unprofessional.

cadams

Postby cadams » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:13 am

I accept that I am using INCREDIBLE revisionist history when I now criticize the Ehrhoff deal. But it was universally praised when it happened much like the Scuderi signing. Sometimes things just turn bad.

I was trying to find anything by Rossi from the summer talking about the Penguins but all I can see really is his he was deservedly booted from being the beat writer.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:20 am

We really need a Rossi is a Hack thread. This just seems like another instance of him being a total unprofessional clown. The Trib is the new gossip rag for Pittsburgh.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:26 am

If I were Pens management, I would rescind press credentials for the Trib. That newspaper is garbage.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 am

The Ehrhoff deal is still something I agree with...it didn't work out for whatever reasons you want to list, but losing two top-four d-men in one season, you get a top-flight free agent on the market to sign a one-year, cap friendly deal...? That's an easy "yes" almost regardless of what you have in the way of unproven talent on the cusp making the show...