2019 Penguins Offseason/Draft Thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Yeah, not that it's terribly relevant...but it is a little odd, isn't it?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:35 pm

It would make sense if they, you know, actually used him as a 7th D instead of calling up, say, Zach Trotman

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

So now that it's mostly public, I can at least float it as a trial balloon...

What say you to this...?

Kessel and JMFJ for Jason Zucker, Victor Rask and a 3rd?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Like.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Minny is in Kessel’s no trade list, so he would have to ok a deal there

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu May 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Minny is in Kessel’s no trade list, so he would have to ok a deal there
Is that list public or are you in the know?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Like.
Like the Ruhwedel deal, I mean. Don't like dealing Kessel tbh.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Rask is extremely overpaid for what he provides.

But then again, so is Johnson.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Man, I hope we don't sign Jack Johnson.

oh ...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 23, 2019 3:55 pm

So now that it's mostly public, I can at least float it as a trial balloon...

What say you to this...?

Kessel and JMFJ for Jason Zucker, Victor Rask and a 3rd?
What’s the ceiling on Zucker if he’s with 87? 71? Rask is 3C or 4C?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm

He hit at already at 33, in fact, I think that exceeds it. I don't love him...and I know for a fact that you won't either if these notes from 2017ish hold true for his time with us...

Jason Zucker (LW/RW) - Speedy but somewhat immature offensive winger. "Immature" is a reference to his general skill set and how he plays the game. He plays like an advanced junior player in a lot of ways. As a winger, his defensive responsibility is weaker, allowing him to fly the zone with his speed a little bit - which is fine in the right dosage. But he plays a light-on-his-toes, finesse offensive game and is still a half-beat away from being in the right spot at the right time. He compensates for this with terrific speed and a great burst. He makes a lot of "hope" passes and when they connect, they set up terrific scoring chances, but when they don't, they reflect poorly. Every player makes these passes, but Zucker makes a lot of low percentage plays. His shot is not overpowering enough to score from distance and, perhaps as a result, he tries to make one extra move sometimes that just leaves you scratching your head. He'll give up a forehand shot in the slot when he's coming with speed in exchange for pulling the puck to his backhand and trying to make a pass back through the seam to the far post - which, for a player of this skill set, is just a little too creative for his own good. He only has average hands...most of his one-on-one moves involve a shoulder or head fake and then going wide with speed. He has above average NHL tools, to be sure, but may not be a reliable, consistent weapon. He is not strong, nor does he have exceptional balance - this mitigates his game considerably in the high-rent areas of the rink. He has the speed to pop in and out of holes/soft areas, but he can be stymied with relative ease by even average sized players. Zucker is not physical nor is he a noteworthy defensive player.

Role: Second line, speed winger like Mason Raymond

Rask is a buyout candidate if he's under 26...if he's not still, then it's reclamation project. This would give us another big, ubiquitous center who doesn't play the game with much emotion or purpose...Jugs at least has a shot, I feel like I don't know who Victor Rask is anymore...he hurt his wrist or something and now it looks like he just doesn't want to play anymore, he's slow too...I don't know what our record is with rehabbing centers, but this is a project and he'll need a really potent offensive winger to have a chance to hop out of this deep, deep funk...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

He hit at already at 33, in fact, I think that exceeds it. I don't love him...and I know for a fact that you won't either if these notes from 2017ish hold true for his time with us...

Jason Zucker (LW/RW) - Speedy but somewhat immature offensive winger. "Immature" is a reference to his general skill set and how he plays the game. He plays like an advanced junior player in a lot of ways. As a winger, his defensive responsibility is weaker, allowing him to fly the zone with his speed a little bit - which is fine in the right dosage. But he plays a light-on-his-toes, finesse offensive game and is still a half-beat away from being in the right spot at the right time. He compensates for this with terrific speed and a great burst. He makes a lot of "hope" passes and when they connect, they set up terrific scoring chances, but when they don't, they reflect poorly. Every player makes these passes, but Zucker makes a lot of low percentage plays. His shot is not overpowering enough to score from distance and, perhaps as a result, he tries to make one extra move sometimes that just leaves you scratching your head. He'll give up a forehand shot in the slot when he's coming with speed in exchange for pulling the puck to his backhand and trying to make a pass back through the seam to the far post - which, for a player of this skill set, is just a little too creative for his own good. He only has average hands...most of his one-on-one moves involve a shoulder or head fake and then going wide with speed. He has above average NHL tools, to be sure, but may not be a reliable, consistent weapon. He is not strong, nor does he have exceptional balance - this mitigates his game considerably in the high-rent areas of the rink. He has the speed to pop in and out of holes/soft areas, but he can be stymied with relative ease by even average sized players. Zucker is not physical nor is he a noteworthy defensive player.

Role: Second line, speed winger like Mason Raymond

Rask is a buyout candidate if he's under 26...if he's not still, then it's reclamation project. This would give us another big, ubiquitous center who doesn't play the game with much emotion or purpose...Jugs at least has a shot, I feel like I don't know who Victor Rask is anymore...he hurt his wrist or something and now it looks like he just doesn't want to play anymore, he's slow too...I don't know what our record is with rehabbing centers, but this is a project and he'll need a really potent offensive winger to have a chance to hop out of this deep, deep funk...
Seems like reliability isn’t his strong suit either. Coooooool. Turnovers.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

But let's trade our 2nd leading scorer. Makes perfect sense.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Do we still not all understand the case against Kessel?

His points per 82 games played is super. That’s not exactly a top secret advanced statistic. It also doesn’t tell the story whatsoever.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Well, if I was trying to defend this trade...which I'm not, but if I was...I'd say, it's better to trade a player a year early than a year late...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm

I’d still have a hard time trading Kessel. Not an emotional thing like with Geno, but he’s a known asset who is pretty damn consistent. Wingers of his caliber aren’t exactly growing on trees.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu May 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Kessel also has final say over if and where he gets dealt, assuming the Penguins are, in fact, ready to part ways with him. As Yohe noted, the forward's limited no-trade clause allows him to dictate only eight teams he can be traded to -- and it appears he's undecided on playing in Minnesota, researching the state, plus the Wild, this week but failing to come to a conclusion, per Yohe.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/peng ... d-package/

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Researching Minnesota? He played the University of Minnesota...he's from ******* Wisconsin...

@dodink - same place, is it not?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:59 pm

I can hear dodint’s blood pressure rising already.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 23, 2019 4:59 pm

I don’t care what % of dodink I get credit for. Just happy to be on the team.

...this means he’s gone one way or another no matter what, right? His team just told him they want to trade him for a guy that 5 people in Pittsburgh have ever heard of. No coming back from that, I reckon.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 23, 2019 5:13 pm

The Rude Beetle signing is an odd one. I’m a fan of the player as a 7th defensemen, but with our current surplus of defenseman I feel he’d get more playing time elsewhere.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 pm

I don't think he gets a second year anywhere else. That's huge for a player like this. You don't know what contract is your last. I take this as an endorsement of the coaching staff and how he's treated even as a healthy. Plus, whether you play or don't, the check is still the same haha

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 pm

If the Kessel trade to Minny doesn’t include their first rounder, I don’t want it. There’s no one on that team, to me at least, really doesn’t anything for us.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu May 23, 2019 6:08 pm

To add, the rumored Zucker and Rask coming our way is total dog ****. There’s no point. We are giving up the best player and getting zero salary relief. Zucker and Rask make 9.5 combined for the next 4 years I think. That’s just awful on so many levels. Get cap space if you are going to dump kessel, even if JJ is going along with it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 pm

I guess the thought is: we can get the same amount of goals from this younger player, and we realize we can't salvage JMFJ...so, same goals, minor salary relief (more digestible to move again), same term, cancel a mistake and Rask is a GMJR re-tread, so that's kind of his calling card...he probably is very familiar with Rask and believes he can return to the form that he had along side Jeff Skinner...a noteworthy UFA that GMJR also had...cough...