2019 Penguins Offseason/Draft Thread

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Hornqvist and Maatta will be on other teams so who cares...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 am

Crosby could steal Intel from Vigneault...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:05 am

This was the first time I was over a playoff loss before it even happened. Thank you, Pens. I'm fine with shopping everyone over 28 except Crosby and build a new team around the captain. Right now I don't care about closing windows or cups, I just want a team that I care about and enoy watching. In any case, you either stick with what you have or you blow it up completely, not some half-arsed vanilla soufflé in-between . Saying that some players are content and then playing it safe and trade Maatta and Rust ist not going to cut it. Looking forward to four more years of Jack Johnson turning the D zone into a maze.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 am

That's all agreeable. But here's the tough spot that I think we're gonna see bubble up...we did just turn the roster over...this is the result. That's sobering.

It's tough to peddle pieces, with term, that you just got...I think, to make changes, they'd have to turn the gun on Maatta, on Kessel, on Dumo (though I don't think he's available, teams have asked and have been rebuffed)...

The other thing is about challenging for spots...you see these guys in other playoff series, Cale Makar makes it, Robert Thomas is in there with the Blues, you have these guys that are legit and they're pushing for spots...that creates roster turnover in its own right...we don't have that...people here have a chubby for that stiff Bluegers...that's where we're at...I like Addison, but he's not gonna play right now...I like the other WHL kids a bit, the Swede from Timrå is progressing well...but that's not a now thing...

We have a top 20 pick, right? But that's our only one in the top 90...so you gotta get creative there, and that guy at 18 or whatever, 21 where ever we're at, he's not gonna play next year either...this is a tough spot from an asset point of view...it almost feels a little bit like LA, where they tried to squeeze another run out of it and just got too old and too slow...you're gonna need a pretty big shovel here...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:33 am

should have kept sprong

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 am

No, Pettersson is definitely a keeper.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:58 am

It might be tongue in cheek, but maybe you kind of do try to undo that and keep the cap savings...for instance...

Maatta for Sonny Milano and Michael Prapavessis
Maatta for Tyson Jost
Maatta for Brett Ritchie and Julius Honka (not quite the same deal)
Maatta for Pontus Åberg and a 3rd
Maatta for Artturi Lehkonen
Maatta for Ryan Spooner, Nikolay Goldobin and a 6th

I know they aren't the sexiest names...but I imagine those are kind of reasonable...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:27 am

I prefer the keep Maatta and fire Johnson to the sun approach

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:31 am

Co-sign. I don't think that's gonna be the reality of the situation though. You (royal you) can't ask for changes and not move a guy that's been here for more than a year...those are the guys that turnover...not so much Jack, Badbranson, Jugs, Cans, etc.

That said, if any GM has shown a wanton disregard for that notion, it's GMJR...but it's tough to keep going back to that well...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:49 am

mikey, or as some know him, destroyer of dreams...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:58 am

It might be tongue in cheek, but maybe you kind of do try to undo that and keep the cap savings...for instance...

Maatta for Sonny Milano and Michael Prapavessis
Maatta for Tyson Jost
Maatta for Brett Ritchie and Julius Honka (not quite the same deal)
Maatta for Pontus Åberg and a 3rd
Maatta for Artturi Lehkonen
Maatta for Ryan Spooner, Nikolay Goldobin and a 6th

I know they aren't the sexiest names...but I imagine those are kind of reasonable...
Spooner? :?:

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 am

Obviously, he's available. He's a player that could be put on waivers and clear, so it's a money move. But maybe we look at that and then use that player as a way to move Simon in another deal...or to free up Rust if we want to go there...I don't know...

To be clear, I don't want Spooner at all.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:13 am

Someone needs to remind GMJR what did work and led to back-to-back Cups before he decided that the team needs to get "tougher" ... which it still isn't.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 am

Looks at the Wales though...

CBJ is a tough team, with one flash guy. Washington is a tough team, but soft in the middle with Backs and Kuzy...Boston is a tough team with one big time line, but even they play pretty hard...Carolina is a team of grinders...the Islanders are always covered in mud and they smell like that ****** stinky kid from Peanuts, whatever his name was, Stinky or whatever, he had that cloud of like diesel exhaust around him or whatever, that's them...

The Lightning are flashy and fast...didn't win a game...the Leafs are flashy and fun, they're in tough...Buffalo tried to be a flashy team, they lost 25 straight to end the year after they were in first...ya know, Detroit, NJ, they try to be open teams, they're not there yet obviously, but they're not relevant...Yzerman is about to go to Detroit, he built Tampa into what it is...NJ is about to add Jack Hughes...that kid could play the game with a dozen eggs in his pants and not break a single one...

I'm not saying you're wrong, G. I think we like a similar style of game...but is the reality of the situation that we need more Sprongs, more Hagelins...? Maybe it is, maybe we can skate away from our problems, maybe we can out score them...maybe...but you really need entry level help for that I think, and I don't think we're gonna turn that up...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:22 am

Pig-Pen is the Peanuts character.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:23 am

Ah! That's it. Thank you. Not "stinky"...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 am

Problem with our big tough players is they're stupid.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:28 am

Well, yeah...but it's because the smart tough guys never really move or they cost a bunch...

Like look at the 1996 Detroit Red Wings...they got beat by Colorado...what'd they do? They went out and scored Brendan Shanahan, a big burly man, he's smart though...you look at Tampa, what can they do? Who are these guys? Tom Wilson, right? He's not available. Josh Anderson from CBJ, I can't imagine he would be available. Matthew Tkachuk is a tough SOB, he's not available. Ya know, what can you do? You gotta draft them probably...or can you tell Anders Lee to focus a little bit more on being a bully and a little less on 30 tucks...? I don't know that you can, it's gotta be natural...you can't paint stripes on a kitty...not that he's soft by any means, but is he a bully...? I'm not so sure, I think he's just a tough hombre and a great natural athlete...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:34 am

Obviously, he's available. He's a player that could be put on waivers and clear, so it's a money move. But maybe we look at that and then use that player as a way to move Simon in another deal...or to free up Rust if we want to go there...I don't know...

He's a $4M cap hit. It's contrary to what you are trying to do.

Maatta at $4M is a solid but slow Dman. Spooner at $4M is $4M of completely dead cap space.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am

But here's the tough spot that I think we're gonna see bubble up...we did just turn the roster over...this is the result. That's sobering.

Couldnt agree more..I dont see any quick fix and theres noone coming from the AHL..

.. The Pens were here and winning before the Hawks and Kings showed up..and the Pens were the last team standing as it relates to regular season success, Cups, playoff appearances.. They bet the farm all those years on deadline acquisitions from 2010-2015 that would be showing up to backfill now.. but you have to pay the bill on that eventually. Unfortunately we may be at the point where its time to accept that and start seriously considering saving draft picks and rebuilding assets while doing and getting who they can to keep the big club in "make the playoffs" discussion for a few years more..

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:49 am

Well, yeah...but it's because the smart tough guys never really move or they cost a bunch...

Like look at the 1996 Detroit Red Wings...they got beat by Colorado...what'd they do? They went out and scored Brendan Shanahan, a big burly man, he's smart though...you look at Tampa, what can they do? Who are these guys? Tom Wilson, right? He's not available. Josh Anderson from CBJ, I can't imagine he would be available. Matthew Tkachuk is a tough SOB, he's not available. Ya know, what can you do? You gotta draft them probably...or can you tell Anders Lee to focus a little bit more on being a bully and a little less on 30 tucks...? I don't know that you can, it's gotta be natural...you can't paint stripes on a kitty...not that he's soft by any means, but is he a bully...? I'm not so sure, I think he's just a tough hombre and a great natural athlete...
are these edgy, physical, bully guys primed to be the next big coveted profile, or is this just a thing where there a half dozen guys like this who can fill the net a little while beating up nerds, and you just have to be thankful if you have one of them?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 am

Josh Anderson from CBJ, I can't imagine he would be available
I'd do a lot of things I wouldn't normally do to get him in a Pens jersey...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 pm

He's a $4M cap hit. It's contrary to what you are trying to do.

Maatta at $4M is a solid but slow Dman. Spooner at $4M is $4M of completely dead cap space.
It's not me trying to do anything...(though I don't really state that), it's just an idea of where I think it could go with the idea that we find a spunky young scorer in the process...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm

are these edgy, physical, bully guys primed to be the next big coveted profile, or is this just a thing where there a half dozen guys like this who can fill the net a little while beating up nerds, and you just have to be thankful if you have one of them?
I can tell you, everyone wants this profile of a player. Not everyone is gonna find him. Not even close.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Josh Anderson from CBJ, I can't imagine he would be available
I'd do a lot of things I wouldn't normally do to get him in a Pens jersey...
Some mouthwash and a forget-me-now and I'll survive...