2019 Penguins Offseason/Draft Thread

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 am

That sounds great. The draft pick is worth very little but getting a young forward when we have too many D is good.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 am

booooooo

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 am

Not sure I like this one... was anticipating a bounce back year for Olli. He was IMO strong and steady during the two Cup runs. Would much preferred to ditch JMFJ or Gudbranson - But suppose the return on the asset was higher with Olli..

Mikey, any inklings of a bigger picture here? Are they trying to unload another defenseman to free up space for any of the FA out there or a big retooling of the bottom 3?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 am

Kahunamaata, it means fewer worries?

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 am

booooooo
Oi oi oi...

:cry:

I’m really gonna miss him.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 am

We traded Maatta to Chicago for Kahun and a 5th.
Tell me how to feel
I’m told by a Hawks fan that we should like this trade.
From what I can tell and have been reading, yes.

But I’m still sad. I have to stop getting so attached to the kids.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 am

Tell me how to feel

From what I’ve read. Chicago fans liked him cause he could skate fast and put in 100% effort every shift no matter what line. Said he bounced around the line up all season but looked best with Tavares and Saad. I’m okay with this trade. 13 more points and he’s a 50 point guy.

While I like Maatta it’s clear he didn’t fit with the coaching here. We got a young guy coming off a good rookie season. The pick doesn’t mean anything.

Guentzel - Crosby - McCann
Kessel - Malkin - Kahun
Rust - Bjugstad - Simon
Blueger - ZAR - Horny

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:19 am

Tell me how to feel

From what I’ve read. Chicago fans liked him cause he could skate fast and put in 100% effort every shift no matter what line. Said he bounced around the line up all season but looked best with Tavares and Saad. I’m okay with this trade. 13 more points and he’s a 50 point guy.

While I like Maatta it’s clear he didn’t fit with the coaching here. We got a young guy coming off a good rookie season. The pick doesn’t mean anything.

Guentzel - Crosby - McCann
Kessel - Malkin - Kahun
Rust - Bjugstad - Simon
Blueger - ZAR - Horny
I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what Kahun and his speed can do. He’s reportedly quite responsible on D, too.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Olli's a good kid and a good player and hope he has a rebound year in Chicago, but I'm not convinced he'll ever be anything more than he already is, which is something I'm not willing to pay over $4MM per year for. I would not be displeased if part of his cap savings is used to facilitate the departure of JMFJ. My lineup preference for next season given what we currently have:

Guentzel-Sid-Hornqvist
Kahun-Geno-Phil
Simon-McCann-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-XXX
XXX

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gud
Beetle

Getting rid of JMFJ would be good and Bugstad can **** off to another team that wants to give a shot to a giant ***** of an oaf who may or may not give a **** about playing hockey. Horny needs more minutes and needs to play with more offensively talented players to be as useful as his salary dictates he needs to be, but he and Rust and be interchangeable to limit the damage Horny takes in the regular season. Kahun, as a speedy, defensively responsible forward with some offensive ability sounds like the perfect fit as the adult on a line with Geno and Phil. I think that third line is solid as ****. ZAR has proven himself useful, I like what Blueger showed last season, and those two forward XXX can be filled by Adam Johnson or free agent/trade acquisitions, though I won't be surprised when Cullen and Wilson are re-signed to round out the fourth line.

Defensively, the top pairing is a given, the very defensively responsible Pettersson is a good fit with Schultz, I like what Riikola showed last year and I didn't hate Gudbranson, and we all know what Rude Beetle can reliably provide. I would like some more change with the defense and I don't know that Riikola-Gud is a third pairing that you want to be throwing more than a dozen even strength minutes to a night.

I would like to see a bit more change and some roster turnover, maybe trading Jugs nets you a third line forward and Simon gets pushed down to the fourth line, maybe trading Phil is still a possibility and then there's a lot more lineup decisions to consider, but with what we have now this is the direction I would go with the lineup and roster moves. I also won't be surprised if Jarry gets moved for a depth piece or maybe he can be added to sweeten a JMFJ dump.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:40 pm

**** JMFJ

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:04 pm

It's probably not a bad trade.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm

The new kid is a kraut. Did you watch him at the olympics? I want the German scoop.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:26 pm

If you like Dominik Simon, you'll love Dominik Kahun.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Ah ****.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I hear he's a Bayern fan. He's dead to me.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Sorry, rough day for me yesterday...

I'm not totally familiar with Kahun to be honest, in my head, he's a little more technically skilled version of Simon. Probably not quite as good of a skater or as good defensively, but with more technical skill and vision and playmaking ability...

Played his off-wing often in Chicago...didn't really move the needle with Strome-DeBrincat, which worries me a little bit because he's not really an offense driver in my estimation. He's a guy that you put with a good center and hope he reads off of him...we have that, but that's never a lock.

I think I said plenty that Maatta played his last game as a Pen when he was healthy scratched in the playoffs...we got pretty fair value probably...but if you don't like Simon, I imagine you won't like Kahun too much more...

Thanks for all the grossly under-appreciated things you did here, Olli. You were a huge part of two Cups wins...he played 8,167 minutes in the NHL and I've seen every single one of them, I have a lot of appreciation for what he did... :thumb:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Olli Olli Olli

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:08 pm

An angry Blackhawks fan on the trade from hf boards:
The big picture is Stanley is a ****ing idiot who gave up value in deal for someone who was worthless

He gave up a good young winger and a draft pick for the Penguins cap dump

A cap dump who was so atrocious he was healthy scratch for 3 of the 4 Pens playoff games. He cant skate at NHL level and is essentially another only slightly more cheap version of Seabrook at this point

Hawks managed to become slower and worse defensively with this move

Seattle isn't going to take trash like Maatta in expansion draft unless of course Stanley gives away more talent and picks for them to do it.

With this trade the Hawks now have nearly 11M in dead cap space with Maatta and Seabrook on roster

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Yeah, most people are upset because they aren't smart enough to know what Maatta brings to the table. If you think your team became worse defensively adding Olli Maatta, then you probably should start facing the TV when you watch games and see if that works out any better...

Plus, let's say Maatta is complete frog butter in Chicago...well, he's still under 26, so his buyout would be like $700k a year...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Always so crazy when these professional GMs and virtually every fan in the world just can’t get a read on a player right, I guess.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm sad to see him go and wish him luck.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm not sure if that's meant to be at Olli's expense...but considering a GM gave him 24 million dollars and another gave up an entry-level forward and a pick to get him even after being scratched for Jack Johnson in the postseason, it seems like at least a couple GMs like him. If your focus will now shift back to fans as a means of measuring anything, then that's all yours...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:33 pm

I'm not sure if that's meant to be at Olli's expense...but considering a GM gave him 24 million dollars and another gave up an entry-level forward and a pick to get him even after being scratched for Jack Johnson in the postseason, it seems like at least a couple GMs like him. If your focus will now shift back to fans as a means of measuring anything, then that's all yours...
I suspect a portion of your Maatta take is just bluster, meant to trap people into certain points you want to make.

But he was a timebomb on any given shift. That’s an issue. If I’m building a team of anything, and a guy can turn into dogshit at any moment, and often does, then I don’t want him on that team if given an option. He’s a frustrating guy to watch, but probably a wonderful guy to coach. So I get why a coach might go on a message board and yell at people about him.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm

The real question is, what in the living **** is frog butter?