2019 Penguins Offseason/Draft Thread

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am

Maatta for AA is not a foundation to work off of for Detroit...

Skinner is probably an $8 to $9.5 million player I would think...I actually do think Buffalo finds a way to keep him, but with the coaching changes and all, who knows if that's favorable to Skinner. He may want to listen to...what's it called when you're in jail and you talk to someone through that window on that little phone but there's like a glass between you? Whatever that's called...that.
In your professional opinion, do you think hiring an amateur economist and former chairman of a mediocre EPL club will have a positive or negative effect on Buffalo's ability to retain current players or acquire new players via free agency?

I would personally think it would have a negative effect.
I asked around about this...I was shocked by the response. I've heard a lot of players really like him...I only know a handful of players, so a lot of it's not first hand to be fair...but the feeling around the league is that a lot of players really like this guy and want to play for him...

There are a couple of guys that also have their doubts, he'll need a tactical guy to help him out because some of his stuff was weird and didn't really land when he was in Edmonton...but apparently he's a culture changer, he's a positive guy, a wonderful communicator...he's the CEO on the ice basically...with the right support, this might turn out better than we think...
This is stunning to me. At the very least it should be interesting to watch.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am

Ship Kessel and JJ.

Throw all the money at EK65. He doesn’t play a game where he should break down due to physical play and his skating should keep him effective for years to come.

Find the right combination for a shutdown line whether it’s a hard nosed 3rd line or find a 3rd wheel for Sid and Jake that is also a defensive whiz.

Malkin is odd man out but we all saw what having 2 top tier d-men could do with SJS and the Ducks and Devils before them.

It would certainly solve most of the breakout issues and would hopefully create a beautiful transition game.

I’m in

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 29, 2019 10:47 am

I would not support getting Erik Karlsson right now. Also, why move a RW and a LD, to sign a RD? EK65, Letang, Schultz on the right just to open up a passive hole on the top line and PP?

I loved Erik Karlsson and his game. That verb is past tense. I'm not willing to risk the $75 million to get that done.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am

Plus, with a groin issue, it takes a lot to come back to 100% from that. He's going to be dealing with that for a while, I think.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 am

Doesn't play a game where he should break down due to physical play? He's already broken down as ****. He's constantly playing through soft tissue issues, groin issues, has a history of stress fractures, has had multiple Achilles injuries, and has half of ankle bone and an artificial tendon. He can avoid contact all he wants, his body is breaking down regardless. I doubt he's going to get anywhere near the money that was once offered to him by the Sens or Sharks and as great of a player he is there is zero chance in hell I would throw any amount of long term money at him. We have enough injury prone defensemen.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 am

I would not support getting Erik Karlsson right now. Also, why move a RW and a LD, to sign a RD? EK65, Letang, Schultz on the right just to open up a passive hole on the top line and PP?

I loved Erik Karlsson and his game. That verb is past tense. I'm not willing to risk the $75 million to get that done.
I get that for sure. I think the Pens are at an impasse. Either keep going for it now and get ready for some years at the bottom or start retooling by loading up on picks/prospects.

If the Pens go big for a guy like EK65 and he’s top tier for 3-4 more years that increases their cup chances greatly IMO. Ship out Shultz if they’re that worried about LD/RD. I’m sure a team would like to have a RD PPQB like Shultz.

Then Letang and EK65 eat up almost 30 mins each a night with Dumo and Maata in the top 4 and I think that’s pretty darn solid.

OOOORRRRRR if the rumors are true how would a trade for Subban from Nashville look?

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed May 29, 2019 11:02 am

I would do $8 million for Skinner without thinking twice. He had 40 goals this season and some teams probably values that higher than $8 million. I get that he didn't put up those numbers in Carolina, but still...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 am

Would you pay Jake Guentzel 8+ million?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 29, 2019 11:17 am

I think the folks who want to go 7x10 on EK65 haven't watched him much the last two years...that's a big bet that he can return to even 90% of what he was...

I think the less invasive surgery, to your post, PB, is Kessel for Subban...I think there's an appetite for that as a foundation...that's also another RD, also coming off of a pretty poor season by his standards...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 am

I think the folks who want to go 7x10 on EK65 haven't watched him much the last two years...that's a big bet that he can return to even 90% of what he was...

I think the less invasive surgery, to your post, PB, is Kessel for Subban...I think there's an appetite for that as a foundation...that's also another RD, also coming off of a pretty poor season by his standards...
I’ll admit to not seeing EK’s game the past couple years.

Maybe Kessel/Schultz for PK and Bonino?

Would they even consider that. Would sure up the 3rd line Center spot for the Pens with a guy that responds to Sully’s coaching.

Also would Subban butt heads with Sully?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 29, 2019 11:33 am

Subban might be enough for me to tune out completely.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 am

Subban would butt heads with a tree if he had the opportunity...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 29, 2019 11:41 am

I’ll admit to not seeing EK’s game the past couple years.

Maybe Kessel/Schultz for PK and Bonino?

Would they even consider that. Would sure up the 3rd line Center spot for the Pens with a guy that responds to Sully’s coaching.

Also would Subban butt heads with Sully?
From what I was told by someone who has a close relationship with most of the Penguins over the last 5+ years, Bonino did not and does not like Sullivan and was never staying here regardless of what they offered. He doesn't have a NTC, but it wouldn't be a happy homecoming situation for him.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed May 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Seems like a lot of players don't mesh with Sullivan.

:pop:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 pm

I will explain to people that he didn’t actually donate his own money to that charity more often than I will watch games. He’s such a buttplug.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm

i also have no interest whatsoever in using our only trade chip in the entire organization for help on D. we don't need a personnel overhaul on D. we need the 5 players on the ice to act like they've met once or twice before.

we won the cup with much worse, and we're seeing our forward group just look increasingly more impotent and out of sync with today's NHL. we need hungry forwards more than anything imo. and if that hunger comes out with speed, physicality or a combo of both, even better. and if we really think defensive personnel is the issue, then 58 is where the trade talks begin.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 pm

*boing*

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed May 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Yes, I would. This is a UFA, so I get the player without giving up anything else than cap space. Additionally, Guentzel is young so he should be able to play at this level for a few years.

If Guentzel had been a RFA now, I would try to pay him less with the argument that he played with Crosby. But I would not call it far-fetched to give him $7 million dollar if he was up for renewal.

So in short: UFA, 27 years old, 40 goals without playing the whole season with a world class center? I would give $8 millions to add such a player to my team.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 pm

we won the cup with much worse, and we're seeing our forward group just look increasingly more impotent and out of sync with today's NHL. we need hungry forwards more than anything imo. and if that hunger comes out with speed, physicality or a combo of both, even better. and if we really think defensive personnel is the issue, then 58 is where the trade talks begin.
Mmmmhmmmm.

The forwards not being able to generate offense/sustain a forecheck is issue numero uno, to me. The 2016/2017 champs killed with speed and instant offense.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 29, 2019 1:34 pm

That's a no from me, dawg

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Asking another way, if we didn't have Guentzel and wanted a Guentzel...would you pay that for him? Assuming he's of age...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 pm

That's a no from me, dawg

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 pm

Just like Matt Cooke and Jarko Ruutu before him.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Asking another way, if we didn't have Guentzel and wanted a Guentzel...would you pay that for him? Assuming he's of age...
Or another way a 40 goal point per game player.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Yes