ECQF Game 3: Pens vs Islanders 04/14/19

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Hasn't been discussed. Guess it doesn't make sense to practice if there isn't a system in place...

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Did they just cancel on ice activities? Maybe they're doing film study?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

What how bad you all suck, instead of practicing to suck.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm

I think I said this months ago...we changed our identity to be a slower, more defensive team...we aren't playing good defense, and we don't have the structure or the players to continue our fast/offensive onslaught ways...so, this is what you get...what kind of identity do we want to have as a team...? Right now, we're kind of in-between and it shows...

>Wants more emphasis on defense
>Signs Jack Johnson

Neither of these are congruent with the other.
*Trades for Gudbranson (although he's been a bright spot)*

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I think I said this months ago...we changed our identity to be a slower, more defensive team...we aren't playing good defense, and we don't have the structure or the players to continue our fast/offensive onslaught ways...so, this is what you get...what kind of identity do we want to have as a team...? Right now, we're kind of in-between and it shows...

>Wants more emphasis on defense
>Signs Jack Johnson

Neither of these are congruent with the other.
Obviously that's right. We all know that. But in fairness, Jack wasn't brutal the second half of the year...I'm not sure what the takeaway is from that, but it's worth noting...perhaps an "h" can be inserted into that last word as well...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm

I saw a comment on r/penguins that said something to the effect of “I don’t mind losing. Even if it’s my team, I hate seeing the same team in the Final year after year.”

**** what?
That's soft beyond belief.
Typical Reddit Pens fan. "Aw shucks guys it's too bad we lost but awesome seeing the Islanders go further. You guys will do great!! Upvotes please!"

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019 ... game-3-dk/

Though DK's article was pretty good today.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Hasn't been discussed. Guess it doesn't make sense to practice if there isn't a system in place...
heh

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

our D has completely lost their poise in this series, but i don't have concerns about the makeup of that group.

we need much more help up front. to a point where we need to "reset" as much as possible - even if it means continuing the rutherford tradition of getting 75 cents on the dollar in his trades. horny and kessel have to be gone. the 4th line needs completely replaced. bjugstad isn't made for the post season so we're back to needing a 3C. it's a tall order for GMJR, but he's not exactly universally incompetent. i'd really just like to have a team that's enjoyable to watch. bring in a legit physical forward. take a risk on selling kessel for an unknown commodity or 2. please don't just roll back the same team.

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm

No practice today. Guess they have thrown in the towel. Silver lining is I won't have to schedule my evenings around hockey games. Hope Trotz and the Isles can do the same to the Caps.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Had a team meeting today with coaches to go over some strategy...no on-ice portion.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm

I don't buy all this blow the team up talk. These guys are a lot of the same guys that won the cup a few years ago. The biggest difference to me is the make up of the defense and the commitment to keeping the puck out of the net. These guys are playing sloppy and uninspired. We had Daley, Cole, a good Maata, and Lovejoy in his prime back then. I remember Ian Cole going behind the net and getting blown up over and over, but he made sure to make a good play. These guys this year are running around and it's almost comical. You're right that the forwards aren't helping the defense. They look like they don't know what to do. To me, that's a credit to the Islanders and a knock on Sullivan. He didn't have them ready for this at all.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 pm

We're not gonna be able to "blow up" the team (assuming that ever happens for anyone really) anyhow...so it's not very useful discussion...Hornqvist isn't going anywhere, I can't imagine them being able to flip even one of Johnson or Gudbranson even if they wanted to...especially considering the playoffs the latter two have had...

I think the writing is probably on the wall for Maatta...getting scratched for Pettersson, Riikola is a similar style player too...I'm thinking they'll use him as a piece at some point...I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish...
Last edited by mikey on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Had a team meeting today with coaches to go over some strategy...no on-ice portion.
Remove heads from asses, start to skate...

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Gotta rest those old legs..weak from chasing isles all over the ice....

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:31 pm

What is the injury that Jake Guentzel is playing through that "would normally keep him out" that DK references in his article? Never heard he was injured..

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 pm

We're not gonna be able to "blow up" the team (assuming that ever happens for anyone really) anyhow...so it's not very useful discussion...Hornqvist isn't going anywhere, I can't imagine them being able to flip even one of Johnson or Gudbranson even if they wanted to...especially considering the playoffs the latter two have had...

I think the writing is probably on the wall for Maatta...getting scratched for Pettersson, Riikola is a similar style player too...I'm thinking they'll use him as a piece at some point...I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish...
i don't think any discussion surrounding this team has been particularly "useful" for a few months, once it became clear we don't have a competitive advantage with our 2nd line anymore. so we're all just yelling at clouds here. we've had this chat before. i understand that kessel isn't coveted and that GM's would think hornqvist would fit in until they look at his contract. and that we have to stick with malkin till the bitter end, even though there's a chance that this is now who he is.

so we trade maatta, let cullen retire, hopefully send wilson to siberia, let the florida guys get cozy, hope rust finds his consistency, hope malkin spends the summer getting into shape, hope kessel tanks in the first third of the season instead of the last, and maybe all of this gets horny some tap ins and gets his mojo going again. that's fine. it's what most teams do. you can't win every year. i just need a reason to care about next year - beyond Sid + tribalism.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:47 pm

What is the injury that Jake Guentzel is playing through that "would normally keep him out" that DK references in his article? Never heard he was injured..
I don't think any other sports writer has alluded to an injury.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:03 pm

I don't buy all this blow the team up talk. These guys are a lot of the same guys that won the cup a few years ago. The biggest difference to me is the make up of the defense and the commitment to keeping the puck out of the net. These guys are playing sloppy and uninspired. We had Daley, Cole, a good Maata, and Lovejoy in his prime back then. I remember Ian Cole going behind the net and getting blown up over and over, but he made sure to make a good play. These guys this year are running around and it's almost comical. You're right that the forwards aren't helping the defense. They look like they don't know what to do. To me, that's a credit to the Islanders and a knock on Sullivan. He didn't have them ready for this at all.
I would argue every defensemen you listed is better than today's version of Johnson, Maatta, Gudbranson. Those three players combined for $11.3 MILLION in cap. When you're building your bottom pairing guys, that's just too much.

That Johnson deal is aggravating, the Hornqvist deal looks like a miss now, and they need speed again up front. Maatta seems like the only guy you can salvage to get cap space, someone in return for.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Eh if I’ve learned anything about NHL GMs they have huge boners for guys like Hornqvist. See also: Chris Kunitz.

Hornqvist could be moved easily IMO

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Worth more to us than the market...right? I mean, when you put it like that, makes it sound like a giveaway...

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Kessel apparently said yesterday when questioned about strategy on the ice "Our coaches make up the strategy, talk to them."

Sullivan seeming beside himself on the podium last night makes me wonder if he's frustrated that the players have tuned him out, because it's looking that way on the ice.
I don't see how players possibly tune out "win puck battles, play on your toes, play on the right side of the puck". It's on a loop 24/7. I mean, just DO those things. When the Avengers had a big battle, when Batman was up against it, when Anakin was unsure, when Draco's big moment came, what did THEY do?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Kessel apparently said yesterday when questioned about strategy on the ice "Our coaches make up the strategy, talk to them."

Sullivan seeming beside himself on the podium last night makes me wonder if he's frustrated that the players have tuned him out, because it's looking that way on the ice.
I don't see how players possibly tune out "win puck battles, play on your toes, play on the right side of the puck". It's on a loop 24/7. I mean, just DO those things. When the Avengers had a big battle, when Batman was up against it, when Anakin was unsure, when Draco's big moment came, what did THEY do?

Well, Anakin thought he could get by on skill alone, ignored basic strategy such as the high ground, and got his **** arms and legs cut off then nearly burned to death. So yeah, perfect analogy for the Pens.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Worth more to us than the market...right? I mean, when you put it like that, makes it sound like a giveaway...
I'd hate to see Maatta go - I think he's a hell of a defenseman.. but they have immovable pieces, so we'll see (although JR did swing Daley for Scuderi, so who knows....)

I'd say the changes that need to be made in terms of personnel are not drastic. Bottom 6 needs more speed and a guy who can actually win draws. A little youth/speed/tenacity.

The real changes need to be centered around their overall style of play. I thought they were making progress in this area at several points during the season, but they are trying to ram the square peg into a round hole in this series, and they played right into the hands of the Islanders.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. And honestly, the season isn't even over yet. There's still (at least) a game left. A few key moves transformed the clusterf**k team of 2014 and 2015 into back-to-back champs. These guys might have a few good playoff runs left in them yet.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:19 pm

From Chris Bradford, DKPS, re: Sid.

"One of the few things he’s never done is overcome a 3-0 series deficit. But, man, he’d like to. Starting now.

“ 'It’s not the position you want to be in but, I think that being said, I’d love to be a part of a team that comes back from that and we believe that it starts with just winning one game,' Crosby was saying Monday at the Lemieux Complex where the Penguins held team meetings."

I'm not peddling delusion here; just having some fun. The thought of how much it would infuriate Pens haters brings a Grinch-like smile to my face.