ECQF Game 3: Pens vs Islanders 04/14/19

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:49 am

Which player said that?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 am

Kessel apparently said yesterday when questioned about strategy on the ice "Our coaches make up the strategy, talk to them."

Sullivan seeming beside himself on the podium last night makes me wonder if he's frustrated that the players have tuned him out, because it's looking that way on the ice.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am

Sounds like it is time to fire and trade everyone.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am

I think I said this months ago...we changed our identity to be a slower, more defensive team...we aren't playing good defense, and we don't have the structure or the players to continue our fast/offensive onslaught ways...so, this is what you get...what kind of identity do we want to have as a team...? Right now, we're kind of in-between and it shows...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 am

We're structure fluid...

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am

This team has made me miss Carl. Shame on them.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 am

Is Simon considered “skilled” because he merely tries to make skilled plays? Dude has a success rate of about 3% with anything fancy he tries. He is an all time flubber of pucks.

And sure - Bleuger isn’t the difference here. But he plays like he gives a crap. I’m not sure how he stays out of the lineup right now. Sully things...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am

I think I said this months ago...we changed our identity to be a slower, more defensive team...we aren't playing good defense, and we don't have the structure or the players to continue our fast/offensive onslaught ways...so, this is what you get...what kind of identity do we want to have as a team...? Right now, we're kind of in-between and it shows...
I understand the reasoning I guess for going defensive. I don't get the reason to get defensive, and find the slowest guys possible.

I wish they would have tried to stay fast, because every team is seemingly fast, going defensive isn't the new angle, because Trotz has his team playing defense.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

If this was true months ago, why is it still true? If you’re the coach, going into the 3rd period yesterday, how could you not look around the room and see a bunch of zombies and not just say, “ya know what...let’s just loosen up and have fun out there”.

This team just packing it in 2 years in a row as Rome burns down around them is shitty. Try something else. Do something.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 am

See, I think Sullivan has tried a bunch of things, Malkin/Kessel/Letang doing whatever they want to do, just kills everyone else.

And I think Kessel has been doing more than all of them this series so far. Letang has been straight trash.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 am

I think it moved a little.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am

I've always been on the hate Letang boat. I think he's given a lot of room to free-wheel, but everyone else tries it and defensively they become worse. Had he not flubbed game one, maybe the series may have been different. Doubtful, but maybe.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am

Is Simon considered “skilled” because he merely tries to make skilled plays? Dude has a success rate of about 3% with anything fancy he tries. He is an all time flubber of pucks.

And sure - Bleuger isn’t the difference here. But he plays like he gives a crap. I’m not sure how he stays out of the lineup right now. Sully things...
Yeah, he doesn't have next level skill certainly. He has enough skill and sense to keep up with skill guys, but he's a player that could be upgraded in that spot. Bluegers doesn't do much in the NHL for me, I'd want Simon over him for virtually any line. But that's more on Bluegers than Simon...Simon's good enough to play in the league, but he does let a lot of pucks get away from him...doesn't have good protection ability...

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am

I understand the reasoning I guess for going defensive. I don't get the reason to get defensive, and find the slowest guys possible.

I wish they would have tried to stay fast, because every team is seemingly fast, going defensive isn't the new angle, because Trotz has his team playing defense.
GMJR didn't have good assets to play with...so you get what you get...

Crosby's game changed, and they molded it around him in some regard...so they got tougher...only to meet a team tougher than them and more defensive than them...

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

If this was true months ago, why is it still true? If you’re the coach, going into the 3rd period yesterday, how could you not look around the room and see a bunch of zombies and not just say, “ya know what...let’s just loosen up and have fun out there”.

This team just packing it in 2 years in a row as Rome burns down around them is shitty. Try something else. Do something.
It's really tough to just open up your game given the limited horses we have from a skill and speed perspective...particularly our back line, the genesis of offense...

By trying to head-man pucks and make long passes, we'd really have a repeat of the 2013 ECF...the Islanders spacing is too sharp for that...they need to make shorter, isolation plays to have a chance...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am

This is like telling your wife to “calm down”

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 am

Haha yeah, that's a good point.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:59 am

Kessel apparently said yesterday when questioned about strategy on the ice "Our coaches make up the strategy, talk to them."

Sullivan seeming beside himself on the podium last night makes me wonder if he's frustrated that the players have tuned him out, because it's looking that way on the ice.
Just heard Sullivan's post-game comments about how "regardless of the players, I think there's right way for this team to play" and now everything makes more sense. He's trying to get a bunch of star players, who don't want to play a defensive system AND know that as a team they're not good enough to win a cup, to play a style better suited for a bunch of "nameless gray faces". They've completely tuned him out. Won't surprise me if this series doesn't go back to that shithole on Long Island.

Also heard that gutless puke Murray say that he doesn't remember the Islanders first goal when questioned about what went wrong. Own up to when you suck you ass.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:02 pm

This is like telling your wife to “calm down”
what does the wife in this premise want, then? just to go not get injured so they can enjoy the longest summer off they've had in 4 years?

if we feel like there's something to be gleaned from Kessel's "ask the coach" line (which there may or may not be), are the players sitting there in active disagreement with the strategy, or is that comment more an indicator that they're doing what they can, but they aren't on the hook to get the ship back on course.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:06 pm

GMJR didn't have good assets to play with...so you get what you get...
I think that's something that will get lost in the complaints about GMJR's attempt to remake the team. Hagelin was floundering, Pearson was less than stellar, Oleksiak was barely better than the Oleksiak we traded for, Brassard was terrible, and Sprong was struggling and is waiver eligible. Not a whole lot there to salivate about.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah, he doesn't have next level skill certainly. He has enough skill and sense to keep up with skill guys, but he's a player that could be upgraded in that spot. Bluegers doesn't do much in the NHL for me, I'd want Simon over him for virtually any line. But that's more on Bluegers than Simon...Simon's good enough to play in the league, but he does let a lot of pucks get away from him...doesn't have good protection ability...
i'm sure someone has brought up comparisons to erik Christensen?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm

They seem like opposites. EC didn’t vomit in himself when he tried a toe drag but didn’t have much of a compete level.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm

i'm sure someone has brought up comparisons to erik Christensen?
Swimfan had a shot...Simon can play with the puck a little more, better playmaker, better defensively...I don't think they're terribly similar...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:37 pm

>Wants more emphasis on defense
>Signs Jack Johnson

Neither of these are congruent with the other.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm

This is probably already been discussed but Sullivan cancelled today's practice.
https://twitter.com/mattvensel/status/1 ... 3200325632