Official GDT: Game 25 - Pens vs Fylth - 12/01/18 7:08pm EDT

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 am

Outside of Sid, Malkin, Kessel, and Letang, who is?

Even Geno has been cold. I think he had like 2 5v5 goals in the entire month of November.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 am

Simon is fine. I don't think he's someone you want long term on the top line just because he has a couple Andy Hilbert games with Sid. However, I do appreciate that he has shown an ability to move up and down the lineup and be effective. Guentzel-Sid-Horny is a damn good top line and they work well together, regardless of it allegedly getting Sid's panties in a twist.

I've spent all season clamoring for Sprong on Brassard's RW because it gives Brassard someone who SHOULD be able to put the puck in the net and puts Sprong in a better position to succeed than sticking him on the 4th line and playing him 30 seconds, because no matter how much chairman meow wants to rail against him and the need to "earn" ice time, his confidence is destroyed at this point; he looks like he's never played hockey before. I don't think he's ever going to get that chance though should I probably need to find other things to dodint about.

Rust, who got paid too much in the offseason just like everyone else GMJR has signed, is anus but this team desperately needs him to not be anus, and I don't think 4th line minutes or LW time is doing anything to help him out. I'd go with a 3rd line of ZAR/Simon-Brassard-Rust and hope to god someone figures it the **** out because there's no more line combinations left to try, no one else is worthy of 3rd line minutes, and this team isn't accomplishing **** without a 3rd line that can produce.

The other thing worth exploring, which I'm sure GMJR has been doing, is moving Brassard. I loved the trade and I'm a big fan of the player, but he's never really fit here and his effort level is that of a player who doesn't want to be here. The trade was a failure because the goal of it was to win another cup and they didn't and are most certainly not going to this year, but that doesn't make it a bad trade. HCMS hated Cole and Reaves, late first round picks aren't guarantees, and neither are 2nd round goalies (Gustavsson is having a rough go of it in the AHL).

Trading Brassard is complicated though, because what do you look for in return? I don't think Sheahan is a 3C, Cullen died from old age, and behind that you've got Blueger, Dea, Johnson, etc. I'd look at a trade of Brassard+ for a 3C and a defenseman, but who is that "+"?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 am

Brass has been offered around since the summer...he's not been actively shopped to date, to my knowledge, but he's being used as a trade chip...

Carolina still never really got the center depth they've wanted...I still see that being a match, except now it might be for a d-man...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am

You disagree with chairman meow? That’s a paddlin’

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 am

I'm hesitant to note this because the source tends to trigger people here, but DK says the front office is "growing tired" of Brassard and are actively looking to move him.
Two sources within the Penguins told me late Saturday night, this after the 4-2 loss to the Flyers at PPG Paints Arena, that the team is beyond exasperated with Brassard, and one of those sources told me he’s become “trade material” for Jim Rutherford. And when pressed upon the timing of that, the source responded only that there was real urgency.
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018 ... ard-trade/

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 am

Ok then.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Brass has been offered around since the summer...he's not been actively shopped to date, to my knowledge, but he's being used as a trade chip...

Carolina still never really got the center depth they've wanted...I still see that being a match, except now it might be for a d-man...
I would gladly take a defenseman in return, but then how do you structure your bottom two lines? Sheahan at 3C, whoever at 4C, and if you turn the ship around and are in line for a playoff spot, look for a 3C upgrade at the deadline again?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Quite possibly. Or you structure it in such a way where you use winger insulation...

I know we don't want to split them up now, but Jake Guentzel can be taught center without a ton of lead up...