Official GDT: Game 1 - Pens vs Caps - 10/04/18 7:08 EDT

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:30 am

He plays really small for being 6'4"
This is Murray's biggest issue, imo. People harp on his glove, but he wouldn't give up so many high shots if he made himself bigger in net. I'm no goalie whisperer ( @meow ) but can something be done about that? I don't know.

With that said, the D was nowhere to be seen last night. They looked like ballerinas on skates, silhouetting around, watching the puck go by them.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 am

This is one thing that stands out to me too. He's like a shrinking violet in net.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 am

Also from last night;

The NHL average for official team giveaways in a game is roughly a half-dozen. The Penguins committed 16.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 am

Looks like the Matt Murray bubble has burst.

Maybe Vegas will fall out of contention and will trade us Fleury.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:44 am

Nah, I think Murray will have a good year once everything settles down.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 am

This is Murray's biggest issue, imo. People harp on his glove, but he wouldn't give up so many high shots if he made himself bigger in net. I'm no goalie whisperer ( @meow ) but can something be done about that? I don't know.

With that said, the D was nowhere to be seen last night. They looked like ballerinas on skates, silhouetting around, watching the puck go by them.
It’s a little bit of a conundrum. He plays a pretty tight crouch for a big man and has his shoulders in front of his toes a lot. I imagine he does this because it helps him with puck tracking - if his eyes are closer to the ice, he can pick it up faster. He can’t be more aggressive to cut angles down because he doesn’t have the best depth movement, so he isn’t fast with little depth corrections. He has toyed with keeping his glove higher, but leaky goals just like the Orpik goal can result. I'd almost like to see if move his glove forward instead of up. That can give shooters the illusion that it is higher and filling more net than it actually does.

Basically, he has shitty hand eye coordination and if he tries to compensate for it, it will likely open up a whole host of other problems. All told, having a bad glove is not the worst thing. It takes a special kind of player to shoot that shot Oshie did last night. I’d like to see him follow pucks into his glove better. Over exaggerate it with your head. Really focus on watching it all the way into the glove.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Simon. It's ok to like him, he's not as bad as this board thinks.

Re: Murray. Reverse VH goalie on plays that originate above the icing line and continue to be above the icing line is part of the reason why scoring went up in my opinion. Too many guys can make these <20 degree angle shots, goalies will need to adjust. Guys can throw it under the bar from virtually anywhere now. Goaltending will need to adjust. Talked to a couple of goalie coaches over the summer who agree...but also, one that disagreed...so we'll see how goaltending adapts around the league.

"Playing small" varies by situation, play origination, save selection, etc. - not necessarily a general term...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:49 am

It’s a little bit of a conundrum. He plays a pretty tight crouch for a big man and has his shoulders in front of his toes a lot. I imagine he does this because it helps him with puck tracking - if his eyes are closer to the ice, he can pick it up faster. He can’t be more aggressive to cut angles down because he doesn’t have the best depth movement, so he isn’t fast with little depth corrections. He has toyed with keeping his glove higher, but leaky goals just like the Orpik goal can result. I'd almost like to see if move his glove forward instead of up. That can give shooters the illusion that it is higher and filling more net than it actually does.

Basically, he has shitty hand eye coordination and if he tries to compensate for it, it will likely open up a whole host of other problems. All told, having a bad glove is not the worst thing. It takes a special kind of player to shoot that shot Oshie did last night. I’d like to see him follow pucks into his glove better. Over exaggerate it with your head. Really focus on watching it all the way into the glove.
Finnish goaltending mechanic plus American goaltending mechanic from a pretty pure Canadian goalie...hmm...can't we just get him a bigger chest protector instead? Or maybe make him taller...?

meow

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am

Finnish goaltending mechanic plus American goaltending mechanic from a pretty pure Canadian goalie...hmm...can't we just get him a bigger chest protector instead? Or maybe make him taller...?
Can’t we just make him Carey Price. That’ll simplify everything.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 am

Just have him put on football shoulder pads. Or a woman's blouse from the 80's.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

These high glove shots aren’t exactly buzzing his ear, so it’s not something your mom’s shoulder pads can fix. That glove hand just doesn’t move fast enough.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:12 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoftDcEhA0i ... 31pwz8tt5j

See what you made me do. I fell into a Carey Price rabbit hole. Look at that last clip. That movement is bonkers. A pivot push back for depth. An open up with a modified t push and a snap into position, just waiting for the play to come off the wall. I mean. Gawd dayum

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:17 am

So, the lower that initial puck carrier comes, the heavier that load leg can load, right...? But if you give up that leverage and drop to a pure RVH post setup there, you're absolutely toast because you've lost all of your leverage...you'd need to have an amazing shuffle and to have the puck shot into the middle of the net for you to have a chance at that...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

I'm so glad hockey is back.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:31 am

Same. I'm excited to watch a game without having to look over at the Colts being used as a hand puppet by New England every 47 seconds too...though I'll likely be watching Saturday's game on delay, as I have a road game and probably won't be home til later...so I'll be taking the dodint route...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am

Never go full dodint.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 am

So, the lower that initial puck carrier comes, the heavier that load leg can load, right...? But if you give up that leverage and drop to a pure RVH post setup there, you're absolutely toast because you've lost all of your leverage...you'd need to have an amazing shuffle and to have the puck shot into the middle of the net for you to have a chance at that...
Pretty much. You have to time that transition. The lower the puck carrier gets, the fewer options he has, so it’s a calculated risk. Once you get transitioned, you should be good to get a good push off the post. If you get caught with your wiener out during the transition, you can always bail on it. It’s not a binary thing, ya know?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 am

agreed but this is going to be a loooong season if someone on here complains every time Murray gives up a goal

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 am

agreed but this is going to be a loooong season if someone on here complains every time Murray gives up a goal
See: 2017-2018 season.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:58 am

If I have to discuss each goal against the day after the game, I will. I’ll educate you dummies

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:59 am

do it, you won't.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 am

If I have to discuss each goal against the day after the game, I will. I’ll educate you dummies
I support this.

Dust off that adjusted goals against idea that I kept for about 30 games a couple years ago. Assign a weight to the goal against based on timing and quality. Not to obligate you into anything, but if you did it for our guys, I would do it for another team just for comparison...maybe Holtby in Washington, someone who is a gold standard for keeping and on a similarly capable team...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 am

Couple of TOI notes:

- Sheahan led the way among forwards with 2:25 PK time. Brassard was 2nd with 1:34, followed by Cullen, Rust, and Hagelin. They seem to be all in with boosting Brassard's ice time via the PK.

- Sprong played a whopping 6:47, with 2:22 of that coming via the PP. 5 shifts in the first, 4 in the second, and 2 in the third. It'll be interesting to see how he gets used. 2PP time is a given, but we all know Sullivan doesn't trust him and he's gonna have his ass glued to the bench toward the end of close games.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 am

HCMS didn't really protect JMFJ, nor did he match him really. Played a fair bit against all four Caps lines...did run through a solid 4 or so shifts in a row against Ovechkin's group...

meow

Postby meow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 am

I support this.

Dust off that adjusted goals against idea that I kept for about 30 games a couple years ago. Assign a weight to the goal against based on timing and quality. Not to obligate you into anything, but if you did it for our guys, I would do it for another team just for comparison...maybe Holtby in Washington, someone who is a gold standard for keeping and on a similarly capable team...
Dedicated thread or just jump into the GDT?