Pens are apparently having a hard time selling season ticket packages

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:09 pm

There was the offer last week (or 2 weeks ago) that if you bought a season ticket package for this season, a player might deliver it. And now they're offering a Season Ticket Referral Bonus to STH. If we can convince someone to buy season tickets, we get a check for 5% of the cost of the total package sold.

And I noticed at the preseason game the Pens were posting on the Jumbotron about tickets being available for upcoming games. Including the Vegas game.

Also noticed the price increase at the concession stands as well.

Season ticket price increase bit them this year, and the concession prices will hurt them as well.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:14 pm

I took ourselves off the STHWL last week and got our deposit back. The guy that answered the phone didn't even ask why, total call took about 90 seconds and that's with me having to give a new card number because my one on file was expired.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:23 pm

I don't have season tickets, but I have absolutely no trouble finding tickets on the resell market for less than face value for basically any game I would want. If I can do that, why would I bother with season tickets?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:26 pm

That was a large factor in our decision to pull our deposits. Wife and I are both students and can Rush most games, and the ones we don't want to try and do that with we can get on the secondary market pretty inexpensively. When we're done with school we're moving to Europe so I'm looking at either buying ST this year (I looked, they didn't have any that I wanted) or waiting 7-10 years for us to move back to the states. I assume this team will be Generation Next'esque in 2025 so we pulled out.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm

I like the convenience of having season tickets. But if they raise the prices again I'm either going to a partial season or cancelling.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm

I wish I were still in the area. I’d most certainly have season tickets.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 pm

No reason to buy season tickets when you can get tickets to most any game under face value on a given night.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Ensuring that I have the same view/seats and priority in the playoffs is a huge benefit to me, one that I’d pay a little extra for.

Great58

Postby Great58 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Ensuring that I have the same view/seats and priority in the playoffs is a huge benefit to me, one that I’d pay a little extra for.
Yeah, assured playoff tickets is why I still have season tickets. I’ve not been able to sell at face value only one or two games in the last few years.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 am

Season ticket price increase bit them this year, and the concession prices will hurt them as well.
interesting that they're increasing concession prices when plenty of sports venues are actually reducing concession prices. prices at Atlanta's new stadium are very reasonable:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1556 ... nz-stadium

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

since this is ticket-related I figured I'd ask here. PDFs printed at home are no longer valid for entry. So, STHs that don't receive hard tickets, how are you selling them now? Does it have to be on ticket exchange or does stubhub have an avenue for this

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 pm

since this is ticket-related I figured I'd ask here. PDFs printed at home are no longer valid for entry. So, STHs that don't receive hard tickets, how are you selling them now? Does it have to be on ticket exchange or does stubhub have an avenue for this
Can't speak as a seller, but as a buyer, it's super easy. Tickets are transferred to my name on Ticket Exchange or StubHub and you either use the TicketMaster app or the StubHub app to get into the arena. Once in, the ticket takers print out a small receipt which acts as your ticket inside so you don't have to constantly open the app when going to your seat.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Ah that's right. It'll probably be like MLB where I'd enter the barcode and it'll generate a ticket in the app

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:53 pm

interesting that they're increasing concession prices when plenty of sports venues are actually reducing concession prices. prices at Atlanta's new stadium are very reasonable:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1556 ... nz-stadium
Wow, those are great prices. A bottle of water is now $5. It's ridiculous.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:20 am

Wow, those are great prices. A bottle of water is now $5. It's ridiculous.

soda is now AYCD too. when you buy a soda they just hand you the cup and the fountain dispensers are separate from the concession counter so you can keep going back and refilling your cup as much as you want.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:31 am

I keep getting texts and emails about tickets available for the home opener. Home opener against the Stanley Cup champions, and the Pens are having trouble selling tickets.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am

We gave up our season tickets during the last lockout and I've paid non-student rush prices for tickets only a handful of times since then. Decided to look at the season ticket options just to see how expensive things have become. Good lord. Single attack, end zone is the only good deal left in the arena. The average ticket price when the new arena opened was $56, now there's nine rows of seats under that price. I don't see how ownership thinks its a good idea to continually increase ticket and concession prices so significantly every year.

Looking at individual game tickets on Ticketmaster, looks like most of the availability is these bullshit "corners plus" sections. $82 or $90 for season ticket plans, $100 for individual games, to sit in the first five rows of a corner section in the second level? **** that **** those are Igloo Club prices. You can sit in the still overpriced lower level behind the net for 16 bucks more.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am

"Real hockey" is still seven months away...

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 am

I found some games on GovX where seats at 59 for upper and 87 for lower. Granted it's for your lower tier teams that didn't make the playoffs last season, but it's still a solid discount.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:12 am

Cheapest tickets for the opener are $59 on StubHub right now. Which means come Thursday, prices will plummet. If you're willing to wait until an hour or so before puck drop, you could easily get in the door for $20.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 am

With the season ticket waiting list, and whatever years sellout streak, they had no reason to not keep raising prices.

They are at a place where they broke the fan base.

I wonder how often teams in any of the major sports have dropped ticket prices.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am

Has the sellout streak ended?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 am

Officially no. Realistically it ended a couple years ago.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:55 pm

My seats are in the single attack end, end zone. But the edge of the end zone, closer to the faceoff circle, on the aisle. I have 2 seats and the season ticket price for those seats is $44 each.

I love my seats, but because I'm paying for these tickets myself I like to sell off games, about 1/2 the season. Which is no longer as easy as it used to be. I still have tickets left this season. And this is after selling to friends with no markup.

If the prices go up again next year, I'm either going to 1/2 season or dropping them all together.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Cheapest tickets for the opener are $59 on StubHub right now. Which means come Thursday, prices will plummet. If you're willing to wait until an hour or so before puck drop, you could easily get in the door for $20.
I just bought a single ticket in 208 this morning for $77. Listed for 66 and 10+change for fees. If it wasn't for it being close to the end of the row and on the double attack side, I would have taken my chances on game day since there are still a ton of tickets available.