Penguins sign Jimmy Hayes and John Muse; re-sign Zach Trotman

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Just more housekeeping stuff...

We brought back Trotman. Muse is a strong veteran AHL goalie (cawlidge kid and played in Charlotte, maybe meow knows him).

Jimmy Hayes comes over from NJ. Huge RHS RW...he's like 6'5"...

Scouting report on him for those that care...

Jimmy Hayes (RW/C) - Plodding offensive winger with a quick shot. Hayes has a giant frame and a shot that can get the puck upstairs in a hurry. Much of the rest of his game is below the mark however. He has an awkward stride and the turning radius of a battleship. It takes him a number of strides just to hit something resembling below average speed. He has limited vision with the puck on his stick, he looks to bulldoze his way to the net and stuff it in or zip one on from mid-range. Despite his size, he is not a very physical player. In fact, even as a depth player, he frequently avoids contact or stops up short of hits on the forecheck. He could be much more of a menace despite his wheels, but intentionally chooses to not do so. In the neutral and defensive zones he serves little purpose. He doesn't have the skills/skating or smarts to be a top-six (or -nine) player in this league and he seems dead set against embracing a role as a bottom line energy type player.

Role: Fringe goal-scoring forward

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Muse? I guess Wheeling needs a goalie too...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:59 pm

I don’t know a lot about Muse. He did play all but 1 game his freshman and sophomore years at BC. Freshman year he played every second of their season. Sophomore year he played all but 8 minutes. He was on the bench for all the games in Charlotte I took in.

I’m no help

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 pm

I'm glad they are adding some decent depth at the minor league level. You never know when a rash of injuries could hit, and once in a blue moon, a team catches lightning in a bottle with a player in this mold. I've got no problem at all with getting serviceable hockey players on the cheap.