Official Recriminations Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

If we still had Fleury we'd still have Véronique.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 am

let's play guess the injury

- Malkin torn MCL
- Kessel fractured wrist
- Letang broken psyche

Letang has dain bramage.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 11:49 am

- Malkin torn MCL
- Kessel fractured wrist
- Letang broken psyche

Letang has dain bramage.
That requires having a brain which I'm not sure he does.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 pm

- Malkin torn MCL
- Kessel fractured wrist
- Letang broken psyche

Letang has dain bramage.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm

mikey is obsessed with handedness. Simon spent the last three games on Sid's RW, which is the position Sprong plays. So I don't give two flying **** which handedness Simon is or what position he's listed as playing, because he was playing RW.
mikey is, yes...so are professional coaches. You not caring about it, does not at all lessen its significance on the game. Also, I believe that Simon did not spend as much time on Crosby's RW as you are painting.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm

They lost 4 of the 6 home games this post seasons. That's awful any way you cut it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 08, 2018 12:30 pm

mikey is obsessed with handedness. Simon spent the last three games on Sid's RW, which is the position Sprong plays. So I don't give two flying **** which handedness Simon is or what position he's listed as playing, because he was playing RW.
mikey is, yes...so are professional coaches. You not caring about it, does not at all lessen its significance on the game. Also, I believe that Simon did not spend as much time on Crosby's RW as you are painting.
Every game he was on Sid's line he was the RW with Jake on the left. I'll give you the handedness thing (though my personal preference was to play the off side), but you can't use "not the same handedness, not the same position" as an excuse when the coaching staff continually played Simon (44 goals in 159 AHL games) out of position over Sprong (32 goals in 65 AHL games) at his natural position.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Simon-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

Boom. We're still playing. Hire me. Rust is on his off wing, have your heart attack.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Put ZAR in for Simon and that does look delightful.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Injured ZAR in for Simon? I would not be opposed to this.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 pm

If Dickie is going back in time to write lines I'm going back in time to tell ZAR to keep his head up.

I assumed we were looking forward, but this is look-back-and-complain thread so I'm the one out of line. Carry on.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Who will be a UFA this off-season?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Terrified to shoot described half of the team, honestly. We kept waiting for the 'perfect chance', and last night wasn't the first time that happened. Which is why I wanted a guy with a shoot first mentality in the lineup.
I wonder how much of that isn't the advanced scouting on Holtby...maybe they took a page from the last few series and went "ya know, when we go 7 minutes without a shot on this guy, he tends to get real wobbly...let's be very selective in our shooting, wait for A chances...don't just throw stuff..."

Not saying it happened or if it's even right...but some of the opportunities that we passed up really made it seem almost strategic...we didn't throw a lot of garbage from the wings...

You look at Holtby over the last three seasons:

When facing 30+ shots: 57 wins, 20 losses (all types): .931 save pct.
When facing 25 or fewer shots: 38 wins, 25 losses: .893 save pct.

Pittsburgh took 25 or fewer shots in 4 of 6 games in the series. 3-2 win, 4-3 loss, 3-1 win, 2-1 OT loss.
They went over 30 shots twice: 4-1 loss, 6-3 loss.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Who will be a UFA this off-season?
I think most are RFA's. Rowney is a UFA though right?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Terrified to shoot described half of the team, honestly. We kept waiting for the 'perfect chance', and last night wasn't the first time that happened. Which is why I wanted a guy with a shoot first mentality in the lineup.
I wonder how much of that isn't the advanced scouting on Holtby...maybe they took a page from the last few series and went "ya know, when we go 7 minutes without a shot on this guy, he tends to get real wobbly...let's be very selective in our shooting, wait for A chances...don't just throw stuff..."

Not saying it happened or if it's even right...but some of the opportunities that we passed up really made it seem almost strategic...we didn't throw a lot of garbage from the wings...

You look at Holtby over the last three seasons:

When facing 30+ shots: 57 wins, 20 losses (all types): .931 save pct.
When facing 25 or fewer shots: 38 wins, 25 losses: .893 save pct.

Pittsburgh took 25 or fewer shots in 4 of 6 games in the series. 3-2 win, 4-3 loss, 3-1 win, 2-1 OT loss.
They went over 30 shots twice: 4-1 loss, 6-3 loss.
I don't know that I could ever get behind a strategy like that. It's very well known that Holtby gets frustrated easily when he's got people in his crease, so I would have been throwing garbage towards the front of the net and having people just get dirty. Worked a number of times in this series alone, including one that was ruled a no-goal.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Every game he was on Sid's line he was the RW with Jake on the left. I'll give you the handedness thing (though my personal preference was to play the off side), but you can't use "not the same handedness, not the same position" as an excuse when the coaching staff continually played Simon (44 goals in 159 AHL games) out of position over Sprong (32 goals in 65 AHL games) at his natural position.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Simon-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

Boom. We're still playing. Hire me. Rust is on his off wing, have your heart attack.
I mean, even last night, Simon played with Crosby 8 of the first 10 shifts and then never again...it went to Hornqvist.

I like Sprong a lot. Doesn't really have that attention to detail that Simon does, it doesn't have the risk mitigation down defensively that Simon does...so he went with the experienced guy, the guy who had been up with Pittsburgh...I'm not saying it's right, wrong or indifferent...but every coach in the league would have made this call...and I'm not convinced that Sprong was the guy to replace Simon directly anyhow...

Sprong will play, he will...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm certainly more upset than I should be but good gosh are people at HF dumb.
Question for people here, it may be a bad suggestion but I'm curious to see the response. How would you feel about trading Maatta and Sheary to Calgary for Giordano? Gio is already 34 (turning 35 at the start of next year), but he's still a really good defenseman and signed for 4 years after this year. I'm not sure how I should feel about that, so I wanted to get opinions from other people.
Yes, let us trade a 23 year old defenseman that had his best season since his rookie year for a 35 year old with 4 years left on his contract.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 08, 2018 12:56 pm

My god that's awful sounding

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

lolhf.

I'm upset that we were eliminated, but still riding high from being the only back to back Cup champs in history. And this team is certainly going to continue to compete for more Cups.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 1:11 pm

"history"

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Oof, that was a bad one. I meant the salary cap era.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Simon-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

I mean, even last night, Simon played with Crosby 8 of the first 10 shifts and then never again...it went to Hornqvist.

I like Sprong a lot. Doesn't really have that attention to detail that Simon does, it doesn't have the risk mitigation down defensively that Simon does...so he went with the experienced guy, the guy who had been up with Pittsburgh...I'm not saying it's right, wrong or indifferent...but every coach in the league would have made this call...and I'm not convinced that Sprong was the guy to replace Simon directly anyhow...

Sprong will play, he will...
They seemed to switch lines up after the first period.

Game 5: 18 shifts with Sid
Game 4: 19 shifts with Sid

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 1:18 pm

"history"
herstory

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Simon-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

Kessel is a 4th liner, even with the re-write. simon sits, sheary goes with sid, horny goes with geno.

last night was the first time i remember in the sullivan era where a giant group of internet weirdos was right and he was wrong. that was a loser lineup last night, and it set the tone. i mean...we're polishing the brass on the titanic here. we were screwed no matter what. but sully f****ed up. and it was obvious going in, and obvious during the first half of the game before he corrected it as much as he could.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 1:58 pm

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue May 08, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm starting to get the impression that Letang's ability to be effective is going to mirror Troy Polamalu. In short, when your game is built on speed and the ability to make up for mistakes, you never truly learn how to eliminate the mistakes from your game. Then, one day, you're not fast/quick enough to make up for your mistakes anymore...and you don't look very good.

Here's hoping he can find some Rod Woodson in there somewhere.