Official Recriminations Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Melker?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Melker is close to Melkor and Melkor is badass. I'll allow it.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat May 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Tang, Rust, spring for EK

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 am

Nah, not without more assurances...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sun May 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Hörnqvist has joined team Sweden in the World Champs. I thought he was somewhat injured...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 pm

That’s duuuuumb. Take a breath, euros. That tournament is completely meaningless. Stop doing it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Hornqvist is always hurt due to his style of play and general demeanor...that said, he didn't look much more worse for wear than usual...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I understand nationalism. I don’t understand why people think the outcome of this tournament reflects anything. A random selection of your best players and the opponent’s are missing. That’s kind of an important distinction.

This tournament is a nothing burger. Grow up, horny, et al.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 13, 2018 7:49 pm

It's residual from when the olympics were still amateurs only (uhh, well, whatever...) and this was the best tournament for Europeans. Canada muscled their way in with various offshoot tournaments (Summit Series, Canada Cups, etc.)...but this is still considered a well-regarded tournament in Europe.

In the same way that the U20's are missing their best guys to the NHL, same principle here...

Which isn't to say I don't understand your point. I do. I only have weak interest in the Worlds myself...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 13, 2018 8:06 pm

It’s pretty crazy how much hockey the guy has played and he still wants to keep going. Hornqvist is a maniac and I can’t believe he and I are the same species.

...allegedly

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Yeah, I'm not positive of that myself...like I've mentioned before here, I model my game after him and, uh, it's really f****** hard and it sucks a lot...and I play against absolute pissbabies...I know a lot of people say goalies are crazy (and they are) but Hornqvist is a maniac, yeah...

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 pm

It's residual from when the olympics were still amateurs only (uhh, well, whatever...) and this was the best tournament for Europeans. Canada muscled their way in with various offshoot tournaments (Summit Series, Canada Cups, etc.)...but this is still considered a well-regarded tournament in Europe.

In the same way that the U20's are missing their best guys to the NHL, same principle here...

Which isn't to say I don't understand your point. I do. I only have weak interest in the Worlds myself...
Can one assume owners would prefer this (tournaments etc) not to happen -perhaps going so far as to legislate against it- but the player's union
I'm assured the apostrophe is correct here
wants it, so there it is?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I mean, yeah, obviously the owners and GMs in the league don't love the idea of playing hockey outside the contract that your paying for the guy to play hockey for you...

That said, the Worlds are not very hard hockey in my opinion...which is very easy to say from my couch...

But the Worlds are explicitly, by name, baked into the CBA...there are requirements about how/when to ask players to play, there are insurance requirements for the contracts and if a player gets hurt, it's considered a "hockey related" activity, so they can go on IR and all that in the same way...so it's not "extracurricular" from a legal perspective, but yeah, it's hockey outside the NHL and I'm sure it makes some guys writing checks and holding clipboards pretty nervous at times...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 13, 2018 10:56 pm

I don't care about the Worlds but I'm very disappointed that they're no longer allowed to play in the Olympics.

I guess it's just personal preference but I am a huge fan of any big-time international competition with team sports. World Cup is really the only one that is worth anything now though

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Maatta had some terrible moments. Springing Backstrom for the GWG, missing the gaping net the other night...I hate that we can’t hate him sometimes.
Yeah, sorry chief, I'm still on patrol...

I will say that he was on the ice for exactly two ES goals against in the entire playoffs...the one you mentioned that Ovechkin double-tapped and then the flimsy Chiasson goal tonight...

200 minutes of playoff hockey...

Sorry, my standard Maatta defense...

I'm thankful for this post. I've said for a while our wins/losses came down to whether or we had to pay for Letangs mistakes. And that's what it came to.

Now, I will go one further. Another year removed from the head injury... I like our chances next year WITH healthy Kessel/Brassard. And one more GOOD d-man. And Sprong.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 am

Seeing Washington buzzsaw through Tampa on the scoreboard makes me a bit more miffed we lost to them.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 am

EK is one ankle snap away from a career ending injury. No interest in acquiring him.