GDT: Pens vs Caps. Game 6.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 10:30 am

If we still get the same uneven lineup with kessel disappearing and brassard showing oil & water chemistry with his line, while the caps keep having the same success...well this doesn’t really make me pin anything on Sullivan, but it does make him part of the issue during the season debrief.

If you can’t fix Letang, Kessel and Murray, you gotta try to make up for it somewhere else, no?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 am

TGGI ^^^

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 07, 2018 10:40 am

If we still get the same uneven lineup with kessel disappearing and brassard showing oil & water chemistry with his line, while the caps keep having the same success...well this doesn’t really make me pin anything on Sullivan, but it does make him part of the issue during the season debrief.

If you can’t fix Letang, Kessel and Murray, you gotta try to make up for it somewhere else, no?
The Pens have outplayed the Caps in this series imo outside of the big caveat of Murray/holtby. I'm not saying that means you necessarily stand pat, but you can't sit Murray so if Sullivan rolls with mostly the same lineup I don't know that I would fault him much. Where are you going to put Letang at this point?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am

Thank God Gravy's Instant...? :?:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am

Honestly I thought that Kuhnhackl Brassard Sheary line was pretty solid. It is pretty obvious Brassard is hampered from what I believe was a groin injury. Letang with two huge blunders that led to Murray giving up two soft goals is what did us in last game. Holtby has been the difference in this series. Need to get him to let in some leaky goals and take this to 7.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am

The Pens have outplayed the Caps in this series imo outside of the big caveat of Murray/holtby. I'm not saying that means you necessarily stand pat, but you can't sit Murray so if Sullivan rolls with mostly the same lineup I don't know that I would fault him much. Where are you going to put Letang at this point?
Below Schultz, for starters.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am

Yea that's fine, but he's still going to be on the ice for ~20mins a game. You can't hide him as your #6.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 am

We can also add Malkin ruining his playoffs by slewfooting a nobody for no reason as something that can’t be fixed too.

Which is why rust needs a promotion. Hags is skating but he has no finish. Meanwhile we’re getting C+ Malkin. We need more from that line.

I dunno...seems like some amount of desperation is in order.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 07, 2018 10:45 am

Oh no irrational grudge relating to something that definitely for sure happened two weeks ago shmengy has been activated we are truly on the brink

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 am

thisisfinememe.jpg

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 am

I agree. We’ve been the better team. But we’re taking these flimsy leads into the 3rd and we’re either blowing it or almost blowing it 3 games in a row. So...can’t fix Murray. Can’t fix Letang. So basically, we can’t fix our defense. What do you do then? Get weird with the forwards, I guess.

Or you just say F it and hope Murray can fix his glove overnight.

One option is more interesting but I admit both are probably equally effective.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 am

Struggled with it, too. Even looked it up on urban dictionary. No dice. Until it clicked...

This... Guy... Gets... It.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 am

Oh no irrational grudge relating to something that definitely for sure happened two weeks ago shmengy has been activated we are truly on the brink
I think it means good things. We’ve never lost a playoff series in which I complained about Malkin pissing away his season.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 am

Oh no. You're a jar gravy guy. Yikes.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 07, 2018 10:51 am

I agree. We’ve been the better team. But we’re taking these flimsy leads into the 3rd and we’re either blowing it or almost blowing it 3 games in a row. So...can’t fix Murray. Can’t fix Letang. So basically, we can’t fix our defense. What do you do then? Get weird with the forwards, I guess.

Sell me the weird lines you want sully to throw out there tonite shmengy

I also don't know what "flimsy" leads means. The caps are a good team. You're up going into the third and you concede we've been the better team. I don't know what Sullivan can do to get them to not have these hilariously aberrant results in the third. What is it, 9-0 in the third right now? I'm all ears on how you fix that other than see if they can figure out how to not meltdown in the last 20z

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 am

I think it means good things. We’ve never lost a playoff series in which I complained about Malkin pissing away his season.
OPTIMISTIC SHMENGY IS BACK

pens in 7

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am

Yea that's fine, but he's still going to be on the ice for ~20mins a game. You can't hide him as your #6.
Look, he's gotta play and he's gotta play a lot...he's a rhythm player...he's got a lot of talent...this is where we're at, it's just a not a negotiable scenario...and I say that with resignment, not with anger towards you...

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 am

Oh no. You're a jar gravy guy. Yikes.
Nah...I don't think I ever made or purchased gravy myself in my entire life...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 am

Sell me the weird lines you want sully to throw out there tonite shmengy

I also don't know what "flimsy" leads means. The caps are a good team. You're up going into the third and you concede we've been the better team. I don't know what Sullivan can do to get them to not have these hilariously aberrant results in the third. What is it, 9-0 in the third right now? I'm all ears on how you fix that other than see if they can figure out how to not meltdown in the last 20z
Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Geno-Horny
Sprong-Brass-Hags
kessel-Sheahan-Kuhn

Flimsy, in this case, means one goal. They will score that one goal to come back. My plan entails scoring additional goals to prevent losing.

I get that there’s a bearded curmudgeon preventing that from happening, but we can’t just say, “let’s go get 4 goals even though we only have one line that is executing”.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am

Look, he's gotta play and he's gotta play a lot...he's a rhythm player...he's got a lot of talent...this is where we're at, it's just a not a negotiable scenario...and I say that with resignment, not with anger towards you...
Were saying the exact same thing.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am

I don't need to comment on the fact that half of those players don't play those positions, right? ;)

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 am

Sullivan doesn't really seem like a desperation play kind of guy...
Should (when!) the Pens advance, I could see Sprong making a playoff debut in game 1 vs. Tampa.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am

That would signify a lineup change after winning two straight elimination games, Dish. So I guess my question is: which RWer got hurt and allowed us to still win? If your answer is Kessel, I guess I'd buy that...it seems like he's being held together by maple syrup at this point...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 am

I actually think Letang has been very good in this series and was pretty devastated to see him blow it the other night. There was a path to a 3 peat starting to show itself with 20:00 left on the clock.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am

You have to live or die by Letang right now. I really hope they add another defenseman in the off-season. It's a shame Hunwick didn't work out, and injuries got in the way.