GDT: Pens vs Caps. Game 6.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 am

I'm not even that upset. Great run the last two years. It had to end at some point. Go Tampa or Winnipeg.
you are dead to me. ;)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 08, 2018 8:35 am

Caps picked probably the worst year to advance. Seemingly every team is "deeper" than this current version of the Caps.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am

If the Caps can beat the Penguins in the playoffs, there's hope that the Steelers can beat the Patriots this year.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am

I woke up and the first thing I thought of was Kuznetsov doing that stupid **** bird thing.

I'm not okay with that.
He's really a jag. When he didnt bury that one with the wide open net on Murray I thought he couldn't handle the pressure. He whines more than Crysby.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am

I'm not even that upset. Great run the last two years. It had to end at some point. Go Tampa or Winnipeg.
The only reason I'm upset is that it was the Capitals.

In one year, the Eagles won a Super Bowl and the Caps made it back to the conference finals. Has not been a great year for schadenfreude
Pens still beat the Flyers. That'll do.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue May 08, 2018 9:48 am

I woke up and the first thing I thought of was Kuznetsov doing that stupid **** bird thing.

I'm not okay with that.
He's really a jag. When he didnt bury that one with the wide open net on Murray I thought he couldn't handle the pressure. He whines more than Crysby.
Not advocating cheap shots but first player to light him up while he's doing that after a goal, I'm a fan for life.

EDIT: OK, I AM advocating certain cheap shots.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 08, 2018 10:11 am

Kuzy is gonna get it. I can't wait for J.T. Miller to give him the business...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 08, 2018 10:14 am

When you win a series over a team that has plagued your team for years, you're allowed to celebrate any way you want imo.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 am

My favorite comment:

"We don't have to play the penguins in the next round right? They're eliminated...right?"

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 am

I'm still upset over this loss. We had a lead in the 3rd period twice in their barn and found a way to lose. Unacceptable to lose this series regardless of the success of the last two years.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 am

This team was dead. No jump at all, especially from the players you’d expect. A lot of that was due to the defensive coverage. Seemed like they always had 2 and 3 back to the point that it felt like they had 7 skaters out there. I hope to hear about a number of injuries because that will give me all the explanation I’d need.
Looking at the core 12-15 players, you're looking at a team that has played over 300+ games in the last three years, plus how ever many games the top guys played in the World Cup; of course they were gassed. This is not 1985, the physical grind of playing an NHL season and going deep in the playoffs is not as readily accommodated today. (This has always been one of my main arguments against NHL participation in the Olympics.) That, imo, is the main reason it took twenty years before there was a repeat champ...... that it was the Pens is awesome, and we should be grateful.

I'm not the slightest bit chapped that they were eliminated.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 am

Looking at the core 12-15 players, you're looking at a team that has played over 300+ games in the last three years, plus how ever many games the top guys played in the World Cup; of course they were gassed. This is not 1985, the physical grind of playing an NHL season and going deep in the playoffs is not as readily accommodated today. (This has always been one of my main arguments against NHL participation in the Olympics.) That, imo, is the main reason it took twenty years before there was a repeat champ...... that it was the Pens is awesome, and we should be grateful.

I'm not the slightest bit chapped that they were eliminated.
Very good take. :thumb:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am

i'm more bummed than chapped or upset. Realistically a 3-peat wasn't going to happen, but after winning a round and winning game 1 in Washington it seemed to be somewhat possible. I'm mostly chapped that it was the Caps that knocked us out

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am

I'm still upset over this loss. We had a lead in the 3rd period twice in their barn and found a way to lose. Unacceptable to lose this series regardless of the success of the last two years.
I don't understand how it is "unacceptable".

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 11:15 am

Is "unacceptable loss" similar to "impossible shot"?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 am

I don't understand how it is "unacceptable".
Because they played like trash compared to the last two runs. Letang was a dolt, Murray was average, and there was a lack of urgency that they displayed in the previous years. They underachieved and let a lesser team beat them.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 am

We outplayed them in most games. In that sense, it’s kind of unacceptable.

The issue I have with it all is that if Wilson didn’t scumbag ZAR, I think we win the game and the series. They were falling asleep at that point, and hadn’t really found their game. We could have stepped on their throats. Instead, we got all mentally screwed up and lost our path.

It’s all academic since Tampa and the western team all would have had their way with us. I just really hate Wilson and don’t like that he gets to move on. Kuzy and oshie are buttholes too but not enough for me to care. Wilson drags down the overall likability of the team several bajillion points.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 11:25 am

We outplayed them in most games. In that sense, it’s kind of unacceptable.

The issue I have with it all is that if Wilson didn’t scumbag ZAR, I think we win the game and the series. They were falling asleep at that point, and hadn’t really found their game. We could have stepped on their throats. Instead, we got all mentally screwed up and lost our path.

It’s all academic since Tampa and the western team all would have had their way with us. I just really hate Wilson and don’t like that he gets to move on. Kuzy and oshie are buttholes too but not enough for me to care. Wilson drags down the overall likability of the team several bajillion points.
In the end I agree that it is likely either Tampa or a west coast team beats us because they are better. My issue is the Caps team wasn't as good as they have been in the past and the Pens let them sleepwalk them into submission.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 am

My only major regret this year is that we lost to a POS organization like the Caps. I hate them more than the Flyers now and I don't hate the Flyers any less than I did before.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am

Caps may not have been as good as they have been in the past, but they are still a pretty good team IMO.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 08, 2018 11:49 am

The 3-peat is dead

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 08, 2018 11:49 am

Not our rivals.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am

I blame the loss on the morons on the steps

And the lack of depth scoring

And bad pinches

And leaky goals at bad times

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 am

i don't think there's anything wrong with blaming injuries either. even though "everyone is hurt" this time of year

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 am

Caps are a good team. Trotz coached pretty damn well in the series, especially last night. Pens were an Oshie post and a Kuznetsov brain injury away from not even sniffing overtime. As has already been stated numerous times, Pens looked slow and worn out. Since the start of the 15-16 season Sid played in 303 games, including that World Cup bullshit. Geno 265. Phil 307. Horny 283. Hags 278. Maatta 268 on the heels of cancer, multiple shoulder surgeries, and the mumps. Dumo 290. The past two offseasons have each lasted like 90 days. 61 playoff games over a 3 year period.

That's a lot of hockey and a lot of tough hockey with not much time off. It catches up to you and no matter how much you don't want it to, there's not much that can be done about it. (Personally, I would have given the big names some healthy scratch nights throughout the season to keep them from getting too worn down). I think the Pens are better than the Caps, but I don't think a broken, battered, beaten, and exhausted Pens team is better than the Caps. Losing sucks, but it's impossible to win forever. There's a reason why the last back to back cup champions to make it past the second round were the Islanders.