GDT: Pens vs Caps. Game 6.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 08, 2018 3:22 pm

You'd think people would be bigger than that...
C-

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 08, 2018 3:31 pm

You'd think people would be bigger than that...
C-
C ur location 4 my response.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm

My reaction to this loss was a total 180 to my reaction when they last lost their chance at a 3peat. I was also 16 and listening to Soundgarden when they lost in '93 , so I've come a long way since then.

This year, as strange as it may seem, had lower expectations. Even last year winning the Cup was a "holy **** how did they do that" moment. It's definitely a strange feeling to be OK with not winning the Cup. As far as losing to the Capitals...

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Also, that team was a beast in 93 and they seemed unstoppable. Until they got stopped.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm

That '93 team was the best team in franchise history, yes?

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Yeah, this was totally different than '93. That team I thought was a forgone conclusion they'd run through the playoffs and win. This years team, I could see them winning it, but also would not be shocked if they lost when they did.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Not a deeply held conviction, I just remember disliking him during the ECF two years ago.
His name is Tyler. That’s probably why.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Points wise, yes. But I also tend to look at long winning streaks as anomalies.

Example: Look at Columbus last year. They win what, 14 in a row? If you take that away, calculate their winning percentage, then recalculate those 14 games based on winning percentage over the year, and they were barely a playoff team.

The '93 team was missing Paul Coffey, Brian Trottier, Mark Recchi and added Shawn McEachern from a quick glance at the rosters.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Tue May 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Some of yinz guys are big, fat liars. YOU SAID WE WOULD WIN. HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

Honestly, go...
...have a great summer with your families and friends! Thanks for another fun year at 5AF. :fist:

Sigh. Still a bit disappointed, in part because F the Caps (I mean, ugh). But, mostly it's because I'll miss the team. I love them and I love having them around. Remembering dark years pre-Mario, and in the few pre-Sid, I don't take any of it for granted and, well, hell, winning's fun.

1993 was 1,000x worse. That was brutal. As absurd as it sounds, I sobbed. They made me cry my own tears!

There's a void now, what with the Pirates...forget it.

Yeah, today has been a *****, as all day I've been greeted with comments like, "Our long, national nightmare is over," "Ding-dong the witch is dead," yadda, yadda, yadda. At least I got to say how thrilled I am that the Pens have meant that much to them.

It was tough seeing our boys gutted and spent, instead of ecstatic and spent. But, all in all, they really need this offseason. They need to rest and heal. They'll be back. Geno, Sid, and Sully know it, too. Geno and Sid aren't going to let another 7 years go by until the next Cup. So, I can't wait for them to hack everyone off next spring when they go all 1987 Oilers and avenge themselves.

Love you, Flower, but, sorry, no VGK for me. IMO, it's BS for an expansion team, culled from an obscenely overgenerous, league-mandated pillaging, to reach the top of the mountain in their inaugural season. Go, Bolts, go, 'Peg...and gimme the Jets for the win.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Tue May 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Also, that team was a beast in 93 and they seemed unstoppable. Until they got stopped.
They stopped themselves. They didn't take the Isles seriously at all. The years have taught me that, while it remains one of my worst sports fan experiences (the 1992 Pirates are up there, too), they deserved what they got, really.

I loved that team so much, and, in a way, I'm still ticked at them. What a waste.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Love you, Flower, but, sorry, no VGK for me. IMO, it's BS for an expansion team, culled from an obscenely overgenerous, league-mandated pillaging, to reach the top of the mountain in their inaugural season. Go, Bolts, go, 'Peg...and gimme the Jets for the win.[/spoiler]
:thumb:

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm

We're so used to seeing the Caps lose, I'm not sure I can gain any satisfaction from watching them lose to a good team.
Oh, I bet you would. Because this time, they're *closer* to the Cup, and this time, uh oh! They still failed.

I'm sure you could find some satisfaction in that. Yessir.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 pm

They stopped themselves. They didn't take the Isles seriously at all. The years have taught me that, while it remains one of my worst sports fan experiences (the 1992 Pirates are up there, too), they deserved what they got, really.

I loved that team so much, and, in a way, I'm still ticked at them. What a waste.
I’m taking the recent lessons we’ve learned about burnout and longevity and applying it to 93. It can’t be that different, really. The game was more physical back then, so it may have been even more of an issue.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Tue May 08, 2018 8:05 pm

If I was 25 I'd probably still be seething over last night. Now that I'm 35 and the fact that the Pens just won back to back cups... I find myself just not really caring about last night. It's over and done with. You can't win them all, and it's not like we hadn't won a cup in 30 years. Would have been nice to 3 peat, but yeah. I'm strangely ok with losing last night.
Caps fans, conversely, are treating beating the Pens as equivalent to winning the Stanley Cup. They don't seem to realize that they're only halfway there.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 pm

Forgive them. They’ve never been this far before

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Yeah, this was totally different than '93.
I'm just happy it doesn't feel like '96. That was such a bad time.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Fact. '96 was a serious wtf are you shitting us year. That FLA team had no business being near us, and yet. Also, **** Mellanby and **** rats.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Fact. '96 was a serious wtf are you shitting us year. That FLA team had no business being near us, and yet. Also, **** Mellanby and **** rats.
I was at that game 7. I think it took me a week to recover from the shock.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 pm

I put Barasso failing to stop a 90-foot beachball in the same photo album of catastrophe as Bonds failing to throw out Bream from deep-short. Barasso's was probs worse b/c the distance and stupidity isn't an exaggeration, while 'deep-short' kinda is.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed May 09, 2018 12:30 pm

I would say I was sadder at 93 but angrier in 96. This one doesn't come close to either for me but I'm also an old now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 pm

But...you're a baby.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:36 pm

I put Barasso failing to stop a 90-foot beachball in the same photo album of catastrophe as Bonds failing to throw out Bream from deep-short. Barasso's was probs worse b/c the distance and stupidity isn't an exaggeration, while 'deep-short' kinda is.
The 92 Pirates and 93 Pens losses were horrible 1-2 gut punches. I was shocked in 93 but thought they could pretty easily make it back with Mario, Jagr, Francis, etc. 1996 seemed magical then the POS trapping rat Panthers came and te Pens blew that. Then the Panthers get swept by the Avs in the Cup Finals. Avs/Pens final would've been great. Damnit.

Well that era has taught me not to take stuff like that and back-to-back titles for granted, so hard to win it period but someday Sid and Geno won't be here anymore. It took the Caps 20 years just to make back to the Conference Finals even with 10+ of those years with an elite level player in Ovie. Of course the Pens had something to do with all that :)

What a good run the last two years were, I'll always remember it. It wasn't in the cards this year, even thought it felt like it at times. Proud that I have seen all five Cups in my lifetime. I can't say the same for all the Superbowls and World Series titles.

Let's go for three Cups in four years or even three in six.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 09, 2018 12:37 pm

^^ Great post.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Points wise, yes. But I also tend to look at long winning streaks as anomalies.

Example: Look at Columbus last year. They win what, 14 in a row? If you take that away, calculate their winning percentage, then recalculate those 14 games based on winning percentage over the year, and they were barely a playoff team.

The '93 team was missing Paul Coffey, Brian Trottier, Mark Recchi and added Shawn McEachern from a quick glance at the rosters.
Those were big pieces that the 93 team lost. Not saying Cullen, Kunitz, Bonino, etc were as big losses this year but their lack of presence was felt. Players see a chance for a payday and the teams covet them.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

I thought Sheahan was a nice Cullen replacement. I said this like yesterday but I think losing both Daley and Cole was the most painful.