Playoff GDT: Round II Game IIII - Pens vs. Caps - 7PM EDT

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 am

Obviously Oshie isn't facing a suspension, but I would hope the league at least like levies a fine so he can get a repeat offender label.

The league still has no idea how to handle intent to injure hits that don't succeed in injury.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 am

In reading /r/hockey and r/Caps last night, man, I'm ready to give up on this game. People are insufferable, and that's coming from me.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 04, 2018 10:06 am

Or don't go to Reddit where everything is salt.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri May 04, 2018 10:08 am

From Chris Bradford at DKPS:

"It’s seven hours before game time and T.J. Oshie and 'the boys are fired up' for Game 4, the Capitals forward was saying, his ears burning redder than his jersey.

"But before then, Oshie would like to sit down with the Penguins, anyone of them, and review the film from Game 3 and of a certain hit that caused a certain three-game suspension.

“ 'One-hundred percent, the boys are fired up,' he said. 'We had a sense of confidence and I think any arrogance that could have come from our last couple victories has been squashed from the fact that we’re losing Tom. To me, he’s been taken away from us for a couple games here and we’re fired up and want to win the game for him.' ”

Honestly, dude... [finish it for me, you guys].
To clarify: DSP said the second quote. The point stands, however.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 am

I didn't see Brass at all last night...I saw Sheary make two tries, nothing else...nor would I expect much in 11, 12 shifts...
Sullivan really went the complete opposite direction with my plan to get Brass more ice time with better linemates. Guy played less than 10 minutes at even strength, meanwhile Sheahan is getting as much even strength time as Malkin.

I think Brassard's groin injury from the end of the season is still an issue.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 04, 2018 10:12 am

In reading /r/hockey and r/Caps last night, man, I'm ready to give up on this game. People are insufferable, and that's coming from me.
The key really is not to read it...the larger the pool, invariably, the more stupid will flow into it...

That's why I stay here...there's 30 people on the board (35 in the playoffs)...I know them, they know me...the ratio of horrific posts to reasonable posts is a lot closer to even than it is on HF or reddit (I presume, I've never really read reddit before)...

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am

Game of inches and what ifs - in Game 2, if pucks don’t skitter wide and Toronto calls our goal correctly and if in Game 4, the refs call Wilson for tripping on the GWG, we could have been sitting here basking in a sweep. Of course, there are a number of things in our wins that could be said to having it go the other way. It’s a division championship so of course the teams are close, but if the Pens can continue to keep it clean like last nite, we may be very happy come Monday nite.
Last edited by Orlando Penguin on Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am

The key really is not to read it...the larger the pool, invariably, the more stupid will flow into it...

That's why I stay here...there's 30 people on the board (35 in the playoffs)...I know them, they know me...the ratio of horrific posts to reasonable posts is a lot closer to even than it is on HF or reddit (I presume, I've never really read reddit before)...
And most of the horrific posts here are intentionally bad.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 am

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 am

my friend from DC hasn't stopped texting me from when the actual wilson hit occured. he has been completely silent to that point. It only got worse after they announced his suspension. I just used the DND feature of the iphone to ignore him

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 10:17 am

I can't help it!

Read one post that said Pittsburgh fans are pussies because Pittsburgh is a white collar town. This, from a fan in DC. It's not the insults that get me, it's the complete lack of logic and awareness. It really bothers me these people are out there operating vehicles around other people, breeding, etc.

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am

I can't help it!

Read one post that said Pittsburgh fans are pussies because Pittsburgh is a white collar town. This, from a fan in DC. It's not the insults that get me, it's the complete lack of logic and awareness. It really bothers me these people are out there operating vehicles around other people, breeding, etc.
These are the same people that either run around in video games (or let there kids) run around with an open mic dropping racial slurs

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Fri May 04, 2018 10:21 am

Just what is wrong with the capitals? I mean the mentality...

You've got Oshie leaping into people and trying to defend a blatent leaping headshot by a player who just shouldered someone in the head the game before and had problems both earlier in the playoffs and earlier in the season to the point where the player (Wilson) actually requested to meet with George Parros before the playoffs to talk about legality of hits.

You've got Backstrom allegedly blaming the NHL for the loss, though its disputed by the caps that he yelled "F the NHL".

Holtby is complaining about goalie interference on a play where his defensemen literally tackled the guy to the side of the net and I'm not sure exactly how much contact was even there. I mean it's not like someone slashed his pad and took him off balance for a second as a potential goal scorer was taking the puck to the net or anything.

In any case, in terms of bounces, good fortune - How can the caps complain about this series? They've had goals upheld, opponents goals deemed inconclusive, a game winning goal from a direct result of a blatent trip that went uncalled.

So they lost a guy for 3 games who took out two players in two games. A hit not one of them wouldn't comment on if it was done to one of their players.

They just seem very weak mentally - and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. As a Pens fan I hope they mentally unravel and they start feeling that pressure of losing yet again.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:22 am

I can't help it!

Caps fans aren’t the worst in the league. But they are the worst at internet commenting. I grew up in that area. There was a higher concentration of intelligence than anywhere else I’ve lived. I seriously have no clue how that region produces the dumbest fans in hockey.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am

If the Pens get the first goal in Game 5 that arena will turn into a morgue. I'm looking forward to it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 am

I can't help it!

And worse yet, their vote counts just as much as yours does.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 10:26 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 04, 2018 10:26 am

I can't help it!

It really is insane and scary to think about...these people actually exist. It's really quite startling, and I'm being serious when I say that...the stuff people say on the internet (and mean it...not like the literotica I was hoping for in Randomness yesterday) makes it seem like everyone has CTE...

Naturally, I've turned to prayer...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 am

prayer and thoughts

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 am

I can't help it!

Caps fans aren’t the worst in the league. But they are the worst at internet commenting. I grew up in that area. There was a higher concentration of intelligence than anywhere else I’ve lived. I seriously have no clue how that region produces the dumbest fans in hockey.
Worse than Detroit? Detroit fans are something else...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 am

Just what is wrong with the capitals? I mean the mentality...

You've got Oshie leaping into people and trying to defend a blatent leaping headshot by a player who just shouldered someone in the head the game before and had problems both earlier in the playoffs and earlier in the season to the point where the player (Wilson) actually requested to meet with George Parros before the playoffs to talk about legality of hits.

You've got Backstrom allegedly blaming the NHL for the loss, though its disputed by the caps that he yelled "F the NHL".

Holtby is complaining about goalie interference on a play where his defensemen literally tackled the guy to the side of the net and I'm not sure exactly how much contact was even there. I mean it's not like someone slashed his pad and took him off balance for a second as a potential goal scorer was taking the puck to the net or anything.

In any case, in terms of bounces, good fortune - How can the caps complain about this series? They've had goals upheld, opponents goals deemed inconclusive, a game winning goal from a direct result of a blatent trip that went uncalled.

So they lost a guy for 3 games who took out two players in two games. A hit not one of them wouldn't comment on if it was done to one of their players.

They just seem very weak mentally - and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. As a Pens fan I hope they mentally unravel and they start feeling that pressure of losing yet again.
We’ve had spells where we’ve just had our way with the caps over the last 3 years. It’s always a hit from Wilson, ovi or oshie that turns it back the other way. And mainly Wilson, of course. He’s more important than anyone realized to getting that team engaged. Their natural state is to fall asleep on the bench the further they go in the playoffs. He wakes them up.

They know they’re in trouble. And they are able
do first grade math so they know what 3 games could mean. So they’ve already started churning out excuses. And failing when it’s “their year” has really ramped up the rationalizing.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 04, 2018 10:28 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
@skullman80 Happy Bday

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 am

I can't help it!

Worse than Detroit? Detroit fans are something else...
Worse for Reddit/twitter/YouTube/Article comments? Ohhhh yes. Yes yes yes. They are special.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Fri May 04, 2018 10:35 am

Taste the salt!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 10:37 am

And failing when it’s “their year” has really ramped up the rationalizing.
"Where's my ring, bro?"

What a shitty sports town. :lol: