Playoff GDT: Round II, Game II - Pens @ Caps

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:18 am

I turned the game and all I see is them celebrating the Ovi goal. That game was primed to be a stinker.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 am

Defense isn't our strong suit, so let's put our least responsible player into the lineup? eesh...

The lineup was bad yesterday, though. I agree. It's like they figured out the malkin thing 10 seconds before f/o and decided to not plan around it whatsoever. bad vibes yesterday at game time. no one was ready to start. players or management.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:40 am

And now our best defensemen is potentially out.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 am

I fully expect him to be out at least two games, possibly more. That hit did not look good at all. I really need to dig this out of my closet:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 am

Defense isn't our strong suit, so let's put our least responsible player into the lineup? eesh...

The lineup was bad yesterday, though. I agree. It's like they figured out the malkin thing 10 seconds before f/o and decided to not plan around it whatsoever. bad vibes yesterday at game time. no one was ready to start. players or management.
Defense isn't our strong-suit but Simon doing a drop pass at their blueline to give up a breakaway earned a benching - Sprong objectively could not do worse unless he went down and shot the puck at Murray.

Sheary playing like he's about 3 feet tall, Brassard not producing anything, Kessel (likely hurt) has done zilch. Crosby's line seems to be the only thing moving the team, which is a pretty bad sign. Maybe Malkin coming back changes everything, maybe it doesn't, but the Pens are hurting for secondary scoring badly right now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am

And now our best defensemen is potentially out.
What happened to Maatta?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 am

"objectively"

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:50 am

I'm fully expecting nothing to happen to Wilson.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/99 ... 6131602432

No Dept. of Player Safety hearing for Tom Wilson, per NHL. @Capitals @penguins

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 am

I would have been fine with that had Wilson not followed through with his shoulder/forearm.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:20 am

He elevated his shoulder to go for the head. There was no reason to elevate the shoulder there unless he was trying to aim for the head.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:24 am

"But it only looks bad in slow motion!"

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am

He elevated his shoulder to go for the head. There was no reason to elevate the shoulder there unless he was trying to aim for the head.
Yup, had he stayed low - I would have been fine. I think even in slow motion him doing this is suspendable. He drove high to explode into him.

I think that's the frustrating thing with this, Giroux did it too and went high when he could have went through his chest.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am

After re-watching the slow-mo replay it really irritates me that he isn't getting suspended. Does Dumo change his body position, sure, but his head is at the exact same level.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55 am

If you wanted to make a defense for Wilson - which I know we don't here - but if you wanted to make a defense you can say that he's bracing for impact as he sees Ovechkin and Dumo are on a collision course. Plus, Wilson was already committed to a hit and Dumo turned his head into at the last second...

I'm not saying I buy that, but the NHL seems to...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:59 am

If you wanted to make a defense for Wilson - which I know we don't here - but if you wanted to make a defense you can say that he's bracing for impact as he sees Ovechkin and Dumo are on a collision course. Plus, Wilson was already committed to a hit and Dumo turned his head into at the last second...

I'm not saying I buy that, but the NHL seems to...
To me, it's one of these hits that the NHL is ok with personally and I think they think the defense is justified. It'll never happen, but I'd love to see them just throwing one-game suspensions for all hits to the head. Start treating them all the same, and we start removing the what-if scenario out of it and only review the truly targeted hits, or give a five-minute major and end it if further review is justified or not.

There are still too many plays where a player gets hurt because of incidental contact that still looks like a player could have stopped the hit, or alter his body.

I don't know, I would just prefer them to be more strict than defensive when it comes to stuff like this.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm

whatever

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:14 pm

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/99 ... 6131602432

No Dept. of Player Safety hearing for Tom Wilson, per NHL. @Capitals @penguins
Oh. Shocking.

A phone call couldn't have hurt, you DOPeS.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:21 pm

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see them just throwing one-game suspensions for all hits to the head.
There's already an undercurrent of people trying to push this in the league...we're probably about 3 to 5 years away, but there's some interest in going there...just need a little more attrition from old timers...looks like Lou Lamoriello and Brian Burke might be stepping away, that's two of them right there if they don't surface again...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Lamoriello is on his way out.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:25 pm

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see them just throwing one-game suspensions for all hits to the head.
There's already an undercurrent of people trying to push this in the league...we're probably about 3 to 5 years away, but there's some interest in going there...just need a little more attrition from old timers...looks like Lou Lamoriello and Brian Burke might be stepping away, that's two of them right there if they don't surface again...
Ultimately there's going to be plays where it unjustly takes a player out of the game/series/whatever, but it hopefully slows/stops guys from exploding high to flirt with the legality of a check in order to cause maximum damage.

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Ultimately there's going to be plays where it unjustly takes a player out of the game/series/whatever, but it hopefully slows/stops guys from exploding high to flirt with the legality of a check in order to cause maximum damage.
I want to know how we got from hip checks and big open ice hits to everyone running around taking each other's heads off. It reminds me of the NFL in a way.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Yup. I totally get that a collision was happening regardless. But after Dumo slowed, THEN Wilson drove the shoulder up into his head. That was not the body language of a man that was trying to hold back. Oh well, I guess three suspensions for one player in a season is asking too much.

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Yup. I totally get that a collision was happening regardless. But after Dumo slowed, THEN Wilson drove the shoulder up into his head. That was not the body language of a man that was trying to hold back. Oh well, I guess three suspensions for one player in a season is asking too much.
It's the red wings '08 strategy with clutch and grab -- they can't call it *every* time, right? Over-saturation.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:39 pm

I want to know how we got from hip checks and big open ice hits to everyone running around taking each other's heads off. It reminds me of the NFL in a way.
Two key things:

1. Hard-capped equipment creates this notion of invincibility. Back in the day, the contact was body on body...soft shell equipment, no visors, no helmets, etc. Players weren't lying on the ice with their mouths open to block shots like they do now. They weren't skating a thousand km/h to smash someone's face into the boards because it hurts...it hurts them, it hurts you, it hurts...high sticking used to be a major penalty because players were more cautious because they knew no one was out there with a bucket on...goalies played stand-up because nets were 4 feet tall and players were 6 feet tall...so in an act of self-preservation, goalies kept their head above the crossbar because pucks don't go up there.

Now, you got guys in body armor and they can just do whatever they want.

2. The short-shift game has caused the game to become too fast for its own good. Players have 30 seconds to go out there and go once up and once back. So you better make an impact, especially if you're a fringe player. So you go out there and try to destroy...something...a play, a chance, a pass, a human, whatever...it's a lot easier than creating...the short shift game became more popular as the use of helmets and visors increased...so hyper-speed + invincibility = injuries like we saw with Dumo.