Playoff GDT: Round II, Game II - Pens @ Caps

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:44 pm

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see them just throwing one-game suspensions for all hits to the head.
There's already an undercurrent of people trying to push this in the league...we're probably about 3 to 5 years away, but there's some interest in going there...just need a little more attrition from old timers...looks like Lou Lamoriello and Brian Burke might be stepping away, that's two of them right there if they don't surface again...
Ultimately there's going to be plays where it unjustly takes a player out of the game/series/whatever, but it hopefully slows/stops guys from exploding high to flirt with the legality of a check in order to cause maximum damage.
I want to know how we got from hip checks and big open ice hits to everyone running around taking each other's heads off. It reminds me of the NFL in a way.
Two key things:

1. Hard-capped equipment creates this notion of invincibility. Back in the day, the contact was body on body...soft shell equipment, no visors, no helmets, etc. Players weren't lying on the ice with their mouths open to block shots like they do now. They weren't skating a thousand km/h to smash someone's face into the boards because it hurts...it hurts them, it hurts you, it hurts...high sticking used to be a major penalty because players were more cautious because they knew no one was out there with a bucket on...goalies played stand-up because nets were 4 feet tall and players were 6 feet tall...so in an act of self-preservation, goalies kept their head above the crossbar because pucks don't go up there.

Now, you got guys in body armor and they can just do whatever they want.

2. The short-shift game has caused the game to become too fast for its own good. Players have 30 seconds to go out there and go once up and once back. So you better make an impact, especially if you're a fringe player. So you go out there and try to destroy...something...a play, a chance, a pass, a human, whatever...it's a lot easier than creating...the short shift game became more popular as the use of helmets and visors increased...so hyper-speed + invincibility = injuries like we saw with Dumo.
Those are great point, mikey. Thanks.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 pm

I would say Tom Wilson having the mental capacity of a garbage can was why Dumo got hurt but to each his own i guess

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Wilson hit dumoulin because he can’t distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior in real time. He has created a new lowest common denominator for the “could he have avoided” qualifier because of his tiny tiny brain. That’s where we are today.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Wilson hit dumoulin because he can’t distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior in real time. He has created a new lowest common denominator for the “could he have avoided” qualifier because of his tiny tiny brain. That’s where we are today.

Wilson is still smarter than Gudas though...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Wilson is still smarter than Gudas though...
Such a low bar being set right there.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 pm

That's where I'm at. I get the short reaction time but it seems like every split second decision Wilson makes is in favor of finishing the hit, regardless of the vulnerable position the opponent is in or the dangerous position he is in.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm

That's where I'm at. I get the short reaction time but it seems like every split second decision Wilson makes is in favor of finishing the hit, regardless of the vulnerable position the opponent is in or the dangerous position he is in.
Wilson's tiebreaker in these 50/50 situations is to say, "f*** it" whereas others might actually make extraordinary efforts not to knock into someone's dome.

but the league is hesitant to say, "i know what HE was up to" because it would be potentially unfair. kind of like suspending LA's best defenseman for something that's been repeated a handful of times without consequence. great job great effort, Parros. I can see why your game was so cerebral during your career.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:38 pm

I don't understand why the NHL is so concerned about intent.

He crushed Dumo's head. He has to make an effort to not concuss other players.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Adam Herman @AdamZHerman
If you accidentally high stick someone's chin and draw blood, it's four minutes in penalties. Intention be damned. But if you hit someone in the face with your shoulder, there are 20 different layers to it that have to be analyzed before it is deemed a penalty. Seems backwards.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Adam Herman, I agree with you.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Adam Herman @AdamZHerman
If you accidentally high stick someone's chin and draw blood, it's four minutes in penalties. Intention be damned. But if you hit someone in the face with your shoulder, there are 20 different layers to it that have to be analyzed before it is deemed a penalty. Seems backwards.
That’s a terrific perspective. I like it.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Adam Herman, I agree with you.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 am

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see them just throwing one-game suspensions for all hits to the head.
There's already an undercurrent of people trying to push this in the league...we're probably about 3 to 5 years away, but there's some interest in going there...just need a little more attrition from old timers...looks like Lou Lamoriello and Brian Burke might be stepping away, that's two of them right there if they don't surface again...
Ultimately there's going to be plays where it unjustly takes a player out of the game/series/whatever, but it hopefully slows/stops guys from exploding high to flirt with the legality of a check in order to cause maximum damage.
I’m fine with them suspending any hits to the head in all sports. They have no place in sports. Hit chest and down, anything higher automatic suspension.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 01, 2018 10:36 am

That’s nice in theory, but the NFL had a huge spike in blown out knees when they cracked down on headshots.

Blown out knees are obviously less severe than shots to the dome so I don’t know where I am going with this.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am

That’s nice in theory, but the NFL had a huge spike in blown out knees when they cracked down on headshots.

Blown out knees are obviously less severe than shots to the dome so I don’t know where I am going with this.
I don't think that particular scenario applies as much in the NHL. Hockey players aren't diving at ankles to make tackles.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 01, 2018 10:40 am

the only way to address the headshot situation is to condition the players to think differently. otherwise, these "accidents" are just going to continue to happen. parros has just given a cheat code to people like wilson. if there's even a chance that it would have taken extraordinary measures to avoid a headshot, you are absolutely allowed to deliver a headshot.

"proceed with caution" should have been the mantra since the cooke/torres years. and i feel like it kind of was for a while. you put the burden on the players to control themselves and NOT commit to hits that could so easily go sour. but now? nah...parros wants to give the benefit of the doubt to a shoulder pad and not a concussed brain. because he's objectively shitty at this job.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 01, 2018 10:40 am

I don't think that particular scenario applies as much in the NHL. Hockey players aren't diving at ankles to make tackles.
Yup