Playoff GDT: Round II, Game I - Pens @ Caps

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:59 am

That was baffling.

I still shake my head when I remember Iginla even played for the Pens, and forced to another position. What a waste.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am

I contend that Dan Bylsma was just the guy to open up the offense, but beyond that, he was in over his head.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am

That was baffling.

I still shake my head when I remember Iginla even played for the Pens, and forced to another position. What a waste.

The Pens had Iginla and the good Morrow that year.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am

2012 was the lost year. We only had 2 lines in 2013, despite our roster.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 am

That was baffling.

The Pens had Iginla and the good Morrow that year.
Morrow was solid until he broke his knee cap.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 am

No mention of the fantastic "holy sh*t" stops he made? .... k

Also:

She knew what was coming. :lol:

It's like she's thinking "Ovie scored a goal, bless his little heart."

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 am

No mention of the fantastic "holy sh*t" stops he made? .... k

Also:

She knew what was coming. :lol:
I think we found ‘Kate’.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:32 am

If it’s the Kate that my friend knows on FB, then absolutely not.

Dan H

Postby Dan H » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:37 am

Maybe. Unfortunately two shots to the same quad of the net that happened to be 'unstoppable' got to him. Just unlucky that way.
You're doing it and I wish you wouldn't do it
Eh, I mean, I know.

But the homerism that comes with saying the only two goals a team gives up were 'unstoppable' is just as bitter to me as my writing is to you.

They don't win that game without that stellar effort from Murray, though. I'm happy to say.
The first goal was far from unstoppable. But. It is a breakaway from a highly highly skilled player as the first shot of the game 30 seconds in. Who gives a sht where it went in the net.

The OV shot. That’s as unstoppable as a shot can be. Right by Murray’s ear off the rush coming from the most deadly shooter to ever live.
At the risk of feeding the haters: don't you think that, in theory, Murray could have "stopped the shot" by selling out on the shot and coming farther out to cut the angle down? Of course that makes it easier for Ovechkin to deke around him, and since it came off a 2-on-1 also makes it easier for a pass across to be tapped into an open net... but in theory Murray could have backed in perfectly, given Ovechkin nothing, and relied on his defenseman to stop the pass across, right? So then "unstoppable as a shot can be" means something more like "if you're playing the percentages, which good goalies tend to do, this exact shot is almost impossible to stop."

Keep in mind my goaltending experience is almost limited to being the guy who stands in net when my beer league goalie is too drunk to show up - so I'm genuinely curious how real goalies view that sort of situation.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 am

"Not too high. Too Hard."

"Who gives a **** it's gone."

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 am

In the first period, Caps had a 2 on 1 and can’t remember who had Murray committed to the shot and slid it over to Grape Ape who did the hockey equivalent of missing the water if he was sitting on the dock. That little sequence seemed to get lost on all the TV blabbermouths probably cuz he scored later. But if he hits that open net, it’s 2-0 real quick and our defense is spinning around looking for answers.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am

In the first period, Caps had a 2 on 1 and can’t remember who had Murray committed to the shot and slid it over to Grape Ape who did the hockey equivalent of missing the water if he was sitting on the dock. That little sequence seemed to get lost on all the TV blabbermouths probably cuz he scored later. But if he hits that open net, it’s 2-0 real quick and our defense is spinning around looking for answers.
The Pens defense looks like trash and Murray takes all the blame. He bit hard on that breakaway and it was more Ovi screwing up. Nevermind the Pens get caught pinching twice in like 2 minutes.

The slow start bugs me more than anything - this is a repeated scenario they keep going through game after game.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:47 am

I was savoring the salt on r/Caps last night and someone said the pass to Ovi wasn't good enough because the shot came from the heel of the blade. The passer should've known that with Ovi's curve it needed to make contact more towards the center of the blade. :lol:

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:48 am

I was savoring the salt on r/Caps last night and someone said the pass to Ovi wasn't good enough because the shot came from the heel of the blade. The passer should've known that with Ovi's curve it needed to make contact more towards the center of the blade. :lol:
not sure how i missed that but my goodness that is next-level stuff

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:49 am

It was in the post game thread if you end up looking for it.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:51 am

I'll never get over Dupuis over Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tij Junior Elvis Iginla on the RW.
What really still causes me agita to this day about that team was that they could have left Morrow - Sutter - Iginla in tact as a gg 3rd line. But then all the tinkering happened and messed crap up. And Sully appears to be freaking Obi Wan in tinkering compared to FHCDB.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 am

They mentioned that blown shot by Ovi on the broadcast last night and even went back to it in slow-mo, calling it a blown opportunity at a wide open net.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah you give Ovi that chance a million times and he only misses it once.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am

If they won more cups earlier, maybe they wouldn't be winning cups now.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am

They mentioned that blown shot by Ovi on the broadcast last night and even went back to it in slow-mo, calling it a blown opportunity at a wide open net.
Yeah, they showed it 2 or 3 times after it happened and then I think during the intermission but I don’t remember hearing anything further after the game. There’s always ‘remember that save’ but they should have also ‘remembered that miss’.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am

JR was pretty salty in the post-game analysis of the Caps last night. He called out that play, Oshie giving up on the 3rd goal, and Holtby's bad pass on the third goal.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 am

I think it's fair assessment that the Caps farted that game away to the Pens.

The parallels between the caps/pens and steelers/pats are pretty uncanny.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am

Yeah, I was surprised to not hear “remember that save” multiple times last night for both goalies. As for JR, I agree with what he said.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am

Gimme dem farts.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:11 am

Maybe. Unfortunately two shots to the same quad of the net that happened to be 'unstoppable' got to him. Just unlucky that way.
You're doing it and I wish you wouldn't do it
Eh, I mean, I know.

But the homerism that comes with saying the only two goals a team gives up were 'unstoppable' is just as bitter to me as my writing is to you.

They don't win that game without that stellar effort from Murray, though. I'm happy to say.
The first goal was far from unstoppable. But. It is a breakaway from a highly highly skilled player as the first shot of the game 30 seconds in. Who gives a sht where it went in the net.

The OV shot. That’s as unstoppable as a shot can be. Right by Murray’s ear off the rush coming from the most deadly shooter to ever live.
At the risk of feeding the haters: don't you think that, in theory, Murray could have "stopped the shot" by selling out on the shot and coming farther out to cut the angle down? Of course that makes it easier for Ovechkin to deke around him, and since it came off a 2-on-1 also makes it easier for a pass across to be tapped into an open net... but in theory Murray could have backed in perfectly, given Ovechkin nothing, and relied on his defenseman to stop the pass across, right? So then "unstoppable as a shot can be" means something more like "if you're playing the percentages, which good goalies tend to do, this exact shot is almost impossible to stop."

Keep in mind my goaltending experience is almost limited to being the guy who stands in net when my beer league goalie is too drunk to show up - so I'm genuinely curious how real goalies view that sort of situation.
*There is zero snark in any of the below post*

What else do you want him and Dumo to do exactly? They both played it damn near perfect. Dumo waits until the last second then forced OV to make a decision. Murray is two feet out of his blue. What does selling out mean?