Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

NTP66

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am

Outside of that ridiculous delay of game penalty, he has been outstanding. Same goes for Maatta.

shafnutz05

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am

How awesome has Dumo been?
Just absolutely rock solid. He and Maatta have been the epitome of consistency.

shafnutz05

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am

Sam Carchidi
‏@BroadStBull

Again: I think a national TV audience saw Crosby pass baton to Giroux as NHL's best player. #NotAHomer #Flyers #Pens
For posterity...still funny (and still getting plenty of retweets/replies) six years later.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am

Outside of that ridiculous delay of game penalty, he has been outstanding. Same goes for Maatta.
He was just being a good teammate and trying to make Letang not look so dumb.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am

How awesome has Dumo been?
Just absolutely rock solid. He and Maatta have been the epitome of consistency.
The keep Maatta on what I think was the 3rd goal was huge. If he doesn't make that play it might end up in the back of our net.

Silentom

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Silentom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 am

Dumoulin is a stud.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 am

dumo and oleksiak can just skate wherever they want with the puck on their stick. maatta getting there too

shafnutz05

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:26 am

Yes, Oleksiak still has the occasional shaky moment, as to be expected, but he's yet another reclamation project that has turned out well.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am

This is an excruciatingly soff stance from lbl...

Let's try to get off of that topic, where there is no place to go:

Letang should have been flagged for tripping Couturier...
because of the follow through with his feet? ehhhhhh.

he swatted the puck. and because he was moving quickly, he then skated through the defender. what was he supposed to do? it's sort of like the game 2 giroux thing where he was pot committed and just went with it. except this time, the guy that was hit launched himself 10 feet down the ice. don't fall for the optics. if couturier just plays it honestly, this isn't a discussion.
I likened it to when a defenseman slides and waves his stick out and trips the guy...they changed the enforcement of that to include instances where the puck was gotten first.
i wouldn't liken it to that. THAT was why they changed the rule, and i think it's for the better. but THIS isn't in the spirit of the rule change. at the point in which couturier was *tripped*, not only was he dispossessed, but the puck was long gone. the purpose of the rule change is to allow the forward to still recover when you tap the puck away from a sliding position. not when you already have about 15 feet of separation from puck + player.

and on top of all this, it was one continuous move from letang, which matters. this is one of those plays where super slo mo messes up the narrative. he went for the puck. got it. and followed through.
That's not totally unfair, but I think legitimate possession comes into play a bit here...Letang doesn't have that. He is just addressing the puck, Couturier has just as much of a right to make a play there and I'm not convinced he is afforded one...I didn't look at it again afterwards but the thought of Couturier with a torn knee ligament jumping to embellishment seems like a far-fetched case of nonsense...

The continuous move aspect is compelling, but my interpretation of that involves full possession...not initial address of the puck...I don't feel strongly enough to die on that hill or even nearby...I'm just killing time between series...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby meow » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 am

Seemed fine. Not too late. Didn’t target the head. Meh.
After seeing a couple replays, I can’t decide if he leaves his feet before or after contact, which tells me it’s probably too close to tell so who gives a f.
He makes an effort to move into Hags way well after the puck is gone. That's an easy 2 minute interference.
That’s not late
The point of hitting in hockey is to remove the puck from the player. The player no longer had the puck therefore it is late. This whole finish the check thing they do is stupid and has no purpose other than an attempt to injure.
This is not right.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 am

After seeing a couple replays, I can’t decide if he leaves his feet before or after contact, which tells me it’s probably too close to tell so who gives a f.
He makes an effort to move into Hags way well after the puck is gone. That's an easy 2 minute interference.
That’s not late
The point of hitting in hockey is to remove the puck from the player. The player no longer had the puck therefore it is late. This whole finish the check thing they do is stupid and has no purpose other than an attempt to injure.
This is not right.
Great analysis.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 am

C&P of a post I made on Oleksiak elsewhere...

When the stage gets bigger, and the opposition becomes routinely tougher, players with lower hockey sense tend to get exposed first...the first thing to get taken out from under your feet in a playoff game vs a season game is time. If you know his game well enough (Stars fans largely do), this comes as no surprise.

As usual, I do take exception to most averaging stats, as they are generally not helpful...so I'll say this to actually back your point further:

There were only two competitive games in the series from a score perspective (games 5 and 6 + game 2, where Pittsburgh was in it on the scoresheet thru 2, I suppose), look at 3rd period TOI for Oleksiak:

Game 1 (Pit up 5-0 after 2): 5:18
Game 2 (Phi up 2-0): 2:24
Game 3 (Pit up 4-1): 3:13
Game 4 (Pit up 4-0): 4:32
Game 5 (tied 2-2): 2:58
Game 6 (tied 4-4): 3:29 (2:30 of which came after we had taken a commanding lead for good...he was out there to soak up all the beer)

And that's ok. I had no misconceptions about him at any point, so this is the expected result. For some Pens fans, maybe the ilk that try to convince people that Olli Maatta is bad somehow for instance, this is a shoulder shake...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby meow » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 am

This is a surprisingly baby **** soft stance from you.

MR25

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 am

This is an excruciatingly soff stance from lbl...

Let's try to get off of that topic, where there is no place to go:

he swatted the puck. and because he was moving quickly, he then skated through the defender. what was he supposed to do? it's sort of like the game 2 giroux thing where he was pot committed and just went with it. except this time, the guy that was hit launched himself 10 feet down the ice. don't fall for the optics. if couturier just plays it honestly, this isn't a discussion.
I likened it to when a defenseman slides and waves his stick out and trips the guy...they changed the enforcement of that to include instances where the puck was gotten first.
i wouldn't liken it to that. THAT was why they changed the rule, and i think it's for the better. but THIS isn't in the spirit of the rule change. at the point in which couturier was *tripped*, not only was he dispossessed, but the puck was long gone. the purpose of the rule change is to allow the forward to still recover when you tap the puck away from a sliding position. not when you already have about 15 feet of separation from puck + player.

and on top of all this, it was one continuous move from letang, which matters. this is one of those plays where super slo mo messes up the narrative. he went for the puck. got it. and followed through.
That's not totally unfair, but I think legitimate possession comes into play a bit here...Letang doesn't have that. He is just addressing the puck, Couturier has just as much of a right to make a play there and I'm not convinced he is afforded one...I didn't look at it again afterwards but the thought of Couturier with a torn knee ligament jumping to embellishment seems like a far-fetched case of nonsense...

The continuous move aspect is compelling, but my interpretation of that involves full possession...not initial address of the puck...I don't feel strongly enough to die on that hill or even nearby...I'm just killing time between series...

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/statu ... 10786?s=19

If he isn't embellishing that, he sure went down reaaaal easy.

NTP66

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 am

My only issue with Oleksiak - and a few others - is that some of their decision making behind the net is questionable at times. They remind me of Orpik where, instead of simply keeping the puck moving in the direction they're going, they decide to stop along the wall and reverse course, directly into an opposing forward. I can't recall which goal it was yesterday, but this exact scenario played out and resulted in a goal against. And before anyone says it, yes, there is room to advance on these plays I'm referring to.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 am

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/statu ... 10786?s=19

If he isn't embellishing that, he sure went down reaaaal easy.
Yeesh, I rescind my point...that is a jump. Good call. My apologies.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 am

look how floppy couturier is on that hit. he lands like all his bones fell out. same with the cross check from schultz with the EN and the leap into the net from letang earlier. dude shrugged off hornqvist like he was a toddler on that breakaway. his legs were plenty strong. he's just fond of hitting the ice.

at worst, this is a borderline decision for the official. it's not something to spin into conspiracy theories (not you, obviously). if you get the puck first, anything else is discretionary and a roll of the dice.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:41 am

lol i didn't realize he even started jumping before contact was made. my god...even if you're eating a wawa hoagie for breakfast driving by row homes on the way to where youze work, that is a megadive

Morkle

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:43 am

I contend that Couts literally flopped and the ref was so offended by it that he decided to not call anything.

Either way, 2012 is calling, I want my offsides back - bad/questionable calls are always going to happen.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 am

I content that Couts literally flopped and the ref was so offended by it that he decided to not call anything.
look at his left arm when he falls. it's like 1980's hulk hogan in a sleeper hold

arm goes down. totally dead....arm goes down. totally dead...arm go-WAIT! he's back!!!!

even in mid-embellishment he realizes it's not exactly the time and springs up once he sees the scoring chance. what a muppet.

nocera

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 am

If anything, there should've been 2 for tripping and 2 for embellishment. Maybe if he wouldn't have jumped before contact, he would've got the call. I hope flopping like that hurt his MCL more. #warrior

You know the Pens are winning in the post-season when opposing fans are crying about missed calls.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

someone add a wilhelm scream to that pls

Dickie Dunn

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am

C&P of a post I made on Oleksiak elsewhere...

When the stage gets bigger, and the opposition becomes routinely tougher, players with lower hockey sense tend to get exposed first...the first thing to get taken out from under your feet in a playoff game vs a season game is time. If you know his game well enough (Stars fans largely do), this comes as no surprise.

As usual, I do take exception to most averaging stats, as they are generally not helpful...so I'll say this to actually back your point further:

There were only two competitive games in the series from a score perspective (games 5 and 6 + game 2, where Pittsburgh was in it on the scoresheet thru 2, I suppose), look at 3rd period TOI for Oleksiak:

Game 1 (Pit up 5-0 after 2): 5:18
Game 2 (Phi up 2-0): 2:24
Game 3 (Pit up 4-1): 3:13
Game 4 (Pit up 4-0): 4:32
Game 5 (tied 2-2): 2:58
Game 6 (tied 4-4): 3:29 (2:30 of which came after we had taken a commanding lead for good...he was out there to soak up all the beer)

And that's ok. I had no misconceptions about him at any point, so this is the expected result. For some Pens fans, maybe the ilk that try to convince people that Olli Maatta is bad somehow for instance, this is a shoulder shake...
The coaching staff seems to have significantly more trust in Rude Bettle than Big Rig. It’s not surprising given Oleksiak’s lower hockey IQ, but it’s nice to see RB work himself up the food chain to a point where he’s not necessarily the last man on the totem pole.

Beveridge

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Beveridge » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 am

I think about Letang, and I think we did it last year without him. Then I think that means Hunwick, but then is Hunwick really much different than Hainsey? Than I realize we are one injury away from Hunwick. Then I realize we are one injury away from both Letang AND Hunwick.

I love the playoffs.

Orlando Penguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 am

Sam Carchidi
‏@BroadStBull

Again: I think a national TV audience saw Crosby pass baton to Giroux as NHL's best player. #NotAHomer #Flyers #Pens
For posterity...still funny (and still getting plenty of retweets/replies) six years later.
Now that it’s over, I can say it - Cryers fans should be spittin fire about their so-called stars disappearing in this series. Giroux? Horrid. Voracek? A ghost. The Ghost? Lived up to his nickname. Simmonds? Say what you want about his regular season but he always seemed to give us trouble and his presence as a lunkhead and in front of the net wasn’t to be dismissed. He was nowhere too. The only one who showed up was Coutourier. It says plenty for how the Pens planned to stop them and executed. After tasting the tears from the fans at HF, it’s evident to me that they’re a lot further away than the animals give them credit for. No goaltending, a diseased forward corps, and a coach who benches one guy (Sanheim) who was actually productive. Good riddance. Hope they and the animals rot.