Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

robbiestoupe

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am

My 4 year old cannot stop talking about the Penguins beating the "stinky" Flyers. I've created a monster, and I'm proud of it. 12 more Pens, and the kid will be hooked for life.

NTP66

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 am

My 4 year old cannot stop talking about the Penguins beating the "stinky" Flyers. I've created a monster, and I'm proud of it. 12 more Pens, and the kid will be hooked for life.
My daughter told our neighbor that he wasn't allowed in our house yesterday because he was wearing a Flyers shirt.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 am

The hit was not late...nor would interference apply...

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 am

Making up stories is not the behavior of the winning team. Cut it out. It was a good clean hit.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

On another note, I just watched the replay of that Giroux hit...that was not a "clean hit" by any stretch, IMO.
Seemed fine. Not too late. Didn’t target the head. Meh.
After seeing a couple replays, I can’t decide if he leaves his feet before or after contact, which tells me it’s probably too close to tell so who gives a f.
He makes an effort to move into Hags way well after the puck is gone. That's an easy 2 minute interference.
That’s not late
The point of hitting in hockey is to remove the puck from the player. The player no longer had the puck therefore it is late. This whole finish the check thing they do is stupid and has no purpose other than an attempt to injure.

robbiestoupe

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 am

My daughter told our neighbor that he wasn't allowed in our house yesterday because he was wearing a Flyers shirt.
I got asked quite a few times during the series why there were even Flyer fans in the first place.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 am

Seemed fine. Not too late. Didn’t target the head. Meh.
After seeing a couple replays, I can’t decide if he leaves his feet before or after contact, which tells me it’s probably too close to tell so who gives a f.
He makes an effort to move into Hags way well after the puck is gone. That's an easy 2 minute interference.
That’s not late
The point of hitting in hockey is to remove the puck from the player. The player no longer had the puck therefore it is late. This whole finish the check thing they do is stupid and has no purpose other than an attempt to injure.
It has a distinct purpose. You’re wearing people down and making them think twice about chasing down pucks against the boards.

You can’t nerf the league.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 am

That’s not late
It has a distinct purpose. You’re wearing people down and making them think twice about chasing down pucks against the boards.

You can’t nerf the league.
Calling a penalty on a guy going out of his way to hit someone who doesn't have the puck isn't nerfing.

Morkle

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 am

Giroux didn't go out of his way at all...It wasn't even late - evidence given it was less than that 1.5-second threshold that they banned Engo for a few years ago.

It was a clean hit, and Hagelin paid the price for getting it out. The only thing I hate is that it was put higher than normal because guys are still targeting or trying to target the head area when Giroux could have just stayed low and gone through him, but even then - you can't penalize intent when it wasn't a head shot.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 am

This is an excruciatingly soff stance from lbl...

Let's try to get off of that topic, where there is no place to go:

Letang should have been flagged for tripping Couturier...

Morkle

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am

It should have been a trip and potentially an embellishment. /r/hockey believes no Pens fan should enjoy that win because the game was rigged.

Silentom

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Silentom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am

I stand with LBL. #MeToo

NTP66

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 am

It should have been a trip and potentially an embellishment. /r/hockey believes no Pens fan should enjoy that win because the game was rigged.
I've seen a surprising amount of Flyers fans come out and say that they officiating wasn't the reason they lost the game and series. Even if you call that trip on Letang - which I 100% expected and would have accepted - they still blew the lead well before then.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 am

because of the follow through with his feet? ehhhhhh.

he swatted the puck. and because he was moving quickly, he then skated through the defender. what was he supposed to do? it's sort of like the game 2 giroux thing where he was pot committed and just went with it. except this time, the guy that was hit launched himself 10 feet down the ice. don't fall for the optics. if couturier just plays it honestly, this isn't a discussion.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 am

I stand with LBL. #MeToo
Soft baby children.

[ClintEastwoodScowl gif]

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 am

Letang should have just ran through Couturier's chest. I mean the puck was there so he's just making him think about playing it next time.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am

I've seen a surprising amount of Flyers fans come out and say that they officiating wasn't the reason they lost the game and series. Even if you call that trip on Letang - which I 100% expected and would have accepted - they still blew the lead well before then.
i'm seeing more caps fans blame the refs than flyers fans. they don't seem to like us for some reason.

r/hockey is a cesspool right now. but lots of bad citizens making pens fans look bad too.

Morkle

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am

I think that's my most frustrating point when telling people yesterday. They assumed it was an automatic goal for the flyers if that call was made. They already were down by one, the Pens held them to seven shots including the empty net plays. The Pens were pretty much locking down the ice.

Flyers let stuff get into their head yesterday, and they paid for it. Pens played like a team with experience, so that's nice.

mikey

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 am

he swatted the puck. and because he was moving quickly, he then skated through the defender. what was he supposed to do? it's sort of like the game 2 giroux thing where he was pot committed and just went with it. except this time, the guy that was hit launched himself 10 feet down the ice. don't fall for the optics. if couturier just plays it honestly, this isn't a discussion.
I likened it to when a defenseman slides and waves his stick out and trips the guy...they changed the enforcement of that to include instances where the puck was gotten first.

shmenguin

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 am

I likened it to when a defenseman slides and waves his stick out and trips the guy...they changed the enforcement of that to include instances where the puck was gotten first.
i wouldn't liken it to that. THAT was why they changed the rule, and i think it's for the better. but THIS isn't in the spirit of the rule change. at the point in which couturier was *tripped*, not only was he dispossessed, but the puck was long gone. the purpose of the rule change is to allow the forward to still recover when you tap the puck away from a sliding position. not when you already have about 15 feet of separation from puck + player.

and on top of all this, it was one continuous move from letang, which matters. this is one of those plays where super slo mo messes up the narrative. he went for the puck. got it. and followed through.

shafnutz05

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:07 am

I would not have complained if the trip was called...if anything, I would have been supremely pissed at Letang (again). I really hope he finds his mojo (or at least what's left of it) for the next series.

Gaucho

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:07 am

lgp

NTP66

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am

I'm not sure who I hate more right now, mother nature or Letang. It may be a tie.

MR25

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 am

If Letang was going to sit for a trip there, Coots should have gotten 2 for embellishment. He stops and jumps right before Letang makes contact with his feet (after the puck).

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens. Flyers. Game 6.

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 am

How awesome has Dumo been?