Playoff GDT - Game 2 - Penguins vs Flyers - 7:00PM EDT

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am

I don’t think he could have avoided the hit, really. Dissecting it in slo mo isn’t that useful. It was a high speed thing. And yes - he eyed up Letang as he approached. And he probably loved creaming him. But I don’t think this is that interesting.
My hot take for the day: Of course Hornqvist embellished, needlessly no less. He flailed around after the originating foul and impact. Y u do, Horny?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 am

Gonna go out on a limb and say kessel’s iron man streak isn’t really worth reducing him to this in the playoffs.

Still not sure if our complete inability to finish is bad luck or what. But it’s a real kick in the nuts over the last 6 weeks to see us puke all over our scoring chances.
We just put up 7 in game one. Relax
This has happened in probably half our games since the deadline. We just keep blowing chances, the other team gets fewer but converts, and then we hang it up in the 3rd. I want to think it’s bad luck, but it’s happening an awful lot.

Could just be goaltending, I guess. But we can’t freak ourselves out tomorrow if we come out hot with nothing to show.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:26 am

I don’t think he could have avoided the hit, really. Dissecting it in slo mo isn’t that useful. It was a high speed thing. And yes - he eyed up Letang as he approached. And he probably loved creaming him. But I don’t think this is that interesting.
My hot take for the day: Of course Hornqvist embellished, needlessly no less. He flailed around after the originating foul and impact. Y u do, Horny?
Didn’t want to say it last night, but this. You can embellish no matter how bad a hit is. And horny did. I don’t think you HAVE to call it. Especially if you’ve spent most of the game f’ing over the good guys. But he tried to sell that call. And I don’t know why.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 am

CBC aired the f-bomb he yelled during the hit about 8 times though, so that was cool.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:44 am

Also not sure why Andrew Macdonald is such a f*** boy now. You can’t be that bad and act like you even belong on the ice.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:49 am

Because he plays on a team of **** boiz?

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Gonna go out on a limb and say kessel’s iron man streak isn’t really worth reducing him to this in the playoffs.

Still not sure if our complete inability to finish is bad luck or what. But it’s a real kick in the nuts over the last 6 weeks to see us puke all over our scoring chances.
Both points are good here. They lost to Elliott because WAY too many shots (mainly ones from Schultz and Malkin) missed the net completely, rendering the power play ineffective. Sid uncharacteristically missed two chances that he usually converts in his sleep. Smart money says this won't happen in the next game.

When the opponent's goaltending is suspect, make sure your shots hit the net, or at least force them to sacrifice their bodies to block shots. Sailing one-timers 10 feet wide of the net is like taking a called third strike in baseball. You're just giving them a freebee.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Sid has been extremely inaccurate all year. So has Schultz. And Letang. And Big Rig. And Maatta. It’s been really odd. Schultz, especially, just forgot how to pick corners.

Ruhweedle of all people seems to be the only D man who knows how to get effective shots through. And our forwards aren’t much better. Guentzel seems to only know how to shoot 6-8 inches off the ice. He’s been terrorizing leg pads all year. And Hags likes scuffing up logos on goalie chests.

Horny is somehow one of our best snipers.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm

If the team is angry about tonight’s performance, then they’re hiding it well. The attitude is “Meh, them’s the breaks.”

I wish I could do that.
The Flyers can't score with the Pens, can't skate with the Pens, can't defend as well as the Pens, and have lousy goaltending. They can only beat the Pens by creating chaos, getting bounces, and hoping calls go their way. They had a lot of that working for them tonight. It'll work for one or two games, tops.
I believe you, Rx. I just hope the Pens don't beat themselves. This Pens team can beat every single team in the league--including themselves.

I felt like they were getting sucked into some crap last night, and it's only going to get worse in Philly. I don't want a split out of Philly. I want to come back up 3-1. I think the Pens need to do that.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I'd honestly feel great about their chances with the series at 2-2 coming home for 2 of 3.. I just don't want to see the series get to that point. They seemed to perhaps get sucked in a little bit to Philly's crap, but I think it was more out of frustration at themselves for pooching like 8 prime scoring chances. Philly isn't built to play that way anyhow - and they will lose ugly if they try.

On a side note, if any of the Pens' forwards happen to read this: PLAY PHYSICAL ON GOSTISBEHERE. It's imperative that they spend more time in Philly's zone in the next 2 games. Get that forecheck going. Their defense can be had, especially their bottom 4.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Get the split in Philly and you're golden. Better yet, win both.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:36 am

Much more nervous for today's game than I'd like to be.