GDT: LXXVII - PIT @ DET - 7:38PM EDT

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Oddly from what I've read they both pretty much did it to themselves, so it's a wash either way.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Well, technically speaking, Clemente's was a wash, Baker hit the ground.
Last edited by Lemon Berry Lobster on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:05 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 pm

That's a really good question and that's definitely a part of it. And this is just hockey IQ, I have no idea how smart these players actually are on the SATs or whatever...

I thought those might be two points of contention. I'm gonna stand by my rankings, but it's a "feel" thing more than anything...Oleksiak just gets isolated so often and then just drifts into oblivion or back to screen his goalie. Letang hasn't been as dumb in his career as he has been this year...I don't know what that's about...I still don't find him to be a complete dunce...yet...but he's not tracking towards mensa...
Oleksiak is a classic example of a guy who has made up for his shortcomings because of his massive size (and pretty good athletic ability for a man of his size) which works at lower levels of hockey.. the more minutes he plays per game at the NHL level, the more this is exposed. Still an excellent bottom pair guy, and coaching could improve his situational awareness to an extent, but not by much. He adds an element that few players have, especially on this team, and despite his shortcomings, I like him.

Letang as had me puzzled this season as well. I thought it was simply a case of him losing a touch of his speed and not being able to recover from his mistakes, as he so often did in the past.. but upon further review, that doesn't appear to be the case. He's just not the same player he was in 2016 (and it's not even close). You just have to wonder if all the injuries and hardships haven't taken a toll. I mean, he's almost 31 and plays so many minutes. What I find inexcusable (and I say it every year) is Letang's performance on the power play. He's one of the best in the league at entering the zone - but then his passes are almost never in the wheelhouse. Too many ill-advised shots that get blocked (and blocked BADLY, resulting in scoring chances the other way) or miss the net by a lot. He's going to have to make some adjustments, though, as the years catch up. Like a pitcher who slowly loses his fastball, he's going to need to become craftier and more aware of his surroundings.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

That's right, nothing disagreeable about any of that for me...

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:55 pm

Letang sucks? Yup, I'm on board too...