GDT: Game LXXI - PIT @ NYR - 8:08 EDT

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am

Sheary was benched for most of the third, so we're not the only ones who noticed how bad he was playing.
Sheary benched for the third and Pens look like dog crap for the third? I’m no science man, but...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 am

The U

Postby The U » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

lots of weird takes this morning. we killed them for 40 minutes. this was nhl vs ahl. they were a joke and we did everything but solve their goalie and hit corners on our shots. the 3rd was weird, but i think they just figured the goal problem was solved and the rangers are ass. some players (letang) didn't see the comeback coming so they slept through the last period.

but overall, that is a 6-2 game or something 9 times out of 10. it was a joke that the game wasn't over in the first 10 minutes. but sure...lets change all the lines
We are playing .500 hockey over our last 10 games. My feeling that the lines aren’t quite right or that something isn’t completely clicking isn’t based off of 40 minutes of the Pens vs Rangers game.

Sullivan benched a first line wing, replaced him with our 4th line center, then moved a 4th line winger over to 4th line C. So the coach of the team felt it was necessary to adjust half our lines last night.

If the playoffs started tomorrow I’d feel a bit uneasy about the forward lines (with the exception of Malkin’s line).

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

Top shelf gif usage

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 am

lots of weird takes this morning. we killed them for 40 minutes. this was nhl vs ahl. they were a joke and we did everything but solve their goalie and hit corners on our shots. the 3rd was weird, but i think they just figured the goal problem was solved and the rangers are ass. some players (letang) didn't see the comeback coming so they slept through the last period.

but overall, that is a 6-2 game or something 9 times out of 10. it was a joke that the game wasn't over in the first 10 minutes. but sure...lets change all the lines
We are playing .500 hockey over our last 10 games. My feeling that the lines aren’t quite right or that something isn’t completely clicking isn’t based off of 40 minutes of the Pens vs Rangers game.

Sullivan benched a first line wing, replaced him with our 4th line center, then moved a 4th line winger over to 4th line C. So the coach of the team felt it was necessary to adjust half our lines last night.

If the playoffs started tomorrow I’d feel a bit uneasy about the forward lines (with the exception of Malkin’s line).
the lineup change was because sheary stinks. your description is not really an honest one, imo

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 am

Sheary was benched for most of the third, so we're not the only ones who noticed how bad he was playing.
Sheary benched for the third and Pens look like dog crap for the third? I’m no science man, but...
I'll science together a metric.

The U

Postby The U » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 am

the lineup change was because sheary stinks. your description is not really an honest one, imo
This is a big reason why the lines don’t feel right. At this point Sheary’s struggles should be considered the norm, not something unexpected. Another winger at the deadline would have helped in a big way, and having a healthy ZAR, Sprong, Simon available would be nice.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am

Yea I think they goofed by not giving Sprong time this year. They trot out Sheary every night expecting something different. Sprong could provide just as much or little as Sheary is doing right now, imo.

The U

Postby The U » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am

Yea I think they goofed by not giving Sprong time this year. They trot out Sheary every night expecting something different. Sprong could provide just as much or little as Sheary is doing right now, imo.
Unfortunately there isn’t much time left to experiment with line combos and call ups at this point. I think what we see is basically what we are going to get.

Sid’s line feels like a 3rd line right now. Sid stuck playing with whatever pair of grinding wingers they decide to roll with on a given night. This line really isn’t much of an offensive threat right now compared to previous seasons.

Brassard’s line is new and somewhat unknown and trying to gel but right now it’s basically just Kessel out there. Looked good last night though.

Malkin’s line is playing great.

The 4th line is OK as long is Sheahan is centering it. Take Shehan off that line and it’s bad news.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 am

I'm not on either side of this; just pointing out that moving one player to another line by default 'changes half the lines.'

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 pm

There is little reason for concern.

The U

Postby The U » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm not on either side of this; just pointing out that moving one player to another line by default 'changes half the lines.'
Indeed. Let’s go with “3 guys changed positions”.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 pm

the fact that sid is content to hibernate thru most of this stretch of play is muddying the waters for what we actually need

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Completely unrelated.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:26 pm

They don't care if they finish in 1st or 3rd place and neither should we.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:30 pm

I don't care what place they finish in, but I do care about how they close out games. Their play as of late has been too lackluster.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 pm

They don't care if they finish in 1st or 3rd place and neither should we.
we have the worst road record among all playoff teams. i care more than a little about our seeding.

The U

Postby The U » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 pm

I like starting a playoff series on the road. There is also no guarantee that finishing first gives you a better matchup in rd1. I don’t care where they finish. I care about how they look. Flip switching will need to occur though.

How lame is this current playoff format.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm

I like starting a playoff series on the road. There is also no guarantee that finishing first gives you a better matchup in rd1. I don’t care where they finish. I care about how they look. Flip switching will need to occur though.

How lame is this current playoff format.
very bad. i don't think either team would enjoy a yet another wash/pitt rematch, but here we go again.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:48 pm

I'll science together a metric.
I'd like to see Sheary's Corsis pre- and post-name pronunciation change.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:22 pm

the fact that sid is content to hibernate thru most of this stretch of play is muddying the waters for what we actually need
It certainly seems to be a downward trend when it comes to making anyone look like a first line player next to Sid.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah, the last time he pulled it off was, hm, mid February.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:54 pm

It certainly seems to be a downward trend when it comes to making anyone look like a first line player next to Sid.
I don’t see a trend. He’s opted out of a good chunk of the year. During his brief stretch of being engaged, he turned ZAR into a temporary sensation.

Him opting out is also fine. Provided he brings it back in about a month.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm not worried about Crosby bringing it back. Leading into this season, Crosby talked about the possibility of a Threepeat constantly...that's generally unlike him. He wants that bad, IMO.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Motivation is not a problem for him in the playoffs.