GDT: Game LXXI - PIT @ NYR - 8:08 EDT

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:13 pm

How many of these problems melt away when Murray returns from the infirmary?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't think they melt away, but the end result may be avoided. Last night's 3rd period in particular was due to the defense having a 20 minute brain fart, with Letang legally changing his middle name to Pinch.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:29 pm

I like starting a playoff series on the road. There is also no guarantee that finishing first gives you a better matchup in rd1. I don’t care where they finish. I care about how they look. Flip switching will need to occur though.

How lame is this current playoff format.
very bad. i don't think either team would enjoy a yet another wash/pitt rematch, but here we go again.
Maybe this time the Caps will lose in round 1.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:17 pm

I like starting a playoff series on the road. There is also no guarantee that finishing first gives you a better matchup in rd1. I don’t care where they finish. I care about how they look. Flip switching will need to occur though.

very bad. i don't think either team would enjoy a yet another wash/pitt rematch, but here we go again.
Why would you guys not want to play the caps again? Destroying their hopes and dreams is so much fun. This is just a lesser version of why I want to play the flyers.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Things I enjoy in April/May:
Eliminating Philly
Eliminating Caps

I like the playoff format.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Why would you guys not want to play the caps again? Destroying their hopes and dreams is so much fun. This is just a lesser version of why I want to play the flyers.
A) i think this is getting boring. not the winning. seeing the same ugly faces every spring
B) eventually this will not go our way. i don't want to see that day. i'm not ready.

The U

Postby The U » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 pm

I like some variety. We could end up playing CBJ then WAS. We’ve seen that before, in that specific order. Dream scenario would be East/West combining for the playoffs and getting a 1-16 playoff format where you can play somebody from either conference.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm

A) i think this is getting boring. not the winning. seeing the same ugly faces every spring
B) eventually this will not go our way. i don't want to see that day. i'm not ready.
Come on, playing the flyers and caps in the playoffs is boring?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Come on, playing the flyers and caps in the playoffs is boring?
yes and no. there's nothing more enjoyable than winning those series. but i want variety. this is stale. it's fun and stale.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm

1-8 seeding was better imo

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:43 pm

1-8 with a divisional format was bad (remember the trash ass SE division) and you should feel bad.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Disagree. We still saw plenty of our regualr rivals but also the occasional out-of-division opponent to mix things up a little bit.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:09 pm

2 divisions per conference. Division winners in automatically. 1-8 seeding based exclusively on points after that.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 pm

I've been banging this drum for months, but I wholeheartedly agree. I loved the 1v8 conference bracket, because it was such a random tossup who you were going to play. You were always seeing wildly different playoff match ups, and it was intriguing seeing the different series that turned out.

Playing the same team(s) in the first two rounds every single postseason does not make the rivalry better, it makes it worse. Whenever we did end up with a Pens-Flyers series in the older system, it was a treat because it wasn't artificially created, but just kind of fell into place. This system sucks. That said, I'd be OK with giving the division champs the 1 and 2 seeds to make the divisions mean something.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Most of them, until he goes back

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 pm

I've been banging this drum for months, but I wholeheartedly agree. I loved the 1v8 conference bracket, because it was such a random tossup who you were going to play. You were always seeing wildly different playoff match ups, and it was intriguing seeing the different series that turned out.

Playing the same team(s) in the first two rounds every single postseason does not make the rivalry better, it makes it worse. Whenever we did end up with a Pens-Flyers series in the older system, it was a treat because it wasn't artificially created, but just kind of fell into place. This system sucks. That said, I'd be OK with giving the division champs the 1 and 2 seeds to make the divisions mean something.