GDT: Game LXV - PIT v BOS - 7:08 EDT

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:33 am

Yeah, I hinted at that last night...our centers were taking crazy pills last night...just wild and random switches, jumping on guys that are defense had contained...it was so odd that I just assume they're trying some sort of strong-side press type of deal...almost like they do on the PK...where the forward addresses the puck on the half boards and then the defenseman supports and digs the puck out and then flips the rink and the off-side wing (now strong side as the puck crosses the net line) leaks out early to push the defense back into the NZ, stalls for time as he crosses center red and then they attack with four...but it stunk to high heaven last night...that's about as many unearned goals as you're gonna see in a game at this level...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 am

The last few games have been Bylsma era games. Centers swinging before the D have full possession. D leaving the front of the net early, before their partner gets any where close. Guys getting caught puck watching. Sullivan will tighten it down. He has done it before.
They've been in Globetrotters mode since the Florida game.
I'm all for going full Globetrotters, but you need the puck first. Get the biscuit, cue up Sweet Georgia Brown, melt faces, rinse and repeat.
Indeed. Everyone has been very eager to leave the defensive zone.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am

Can't score on the opponent if you are in your own end.

black_guy_tap_head.jpeg

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

The last few games have been Bylsma era games. Centers swinging before the D have full possession. D leaving the front of the net early, before their partner gets any where close. Guys getting caught puck watching. Sullivan will tighten it down. He has done it before.
I'm all for going full Globetrotters, but you need the puck first. Get the biscuit, cue up Sweet Georgia Brown, melt faces, rinse and repeat.
Does the bucket have water or confetti in it?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Does the bucket have water or confetti in it?
Both

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 pm

re. the last 3 games
As the forwards are heading north before the puck is fully controlled why is it that when the puck can be fairly called' secure' the guy who has it too often comes to a dead stop that results in a turnover? I know he's evaluating the situation but is the impetus to get the puck to the forwards so ingrained that other options aren't easily revoked?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Assuming I am picturing what you're talking about correctly, the stop is to let the momentum of the backcheck take its course to reveal a later lane...

So, change of possession, we got it now. Because the puck is in our grasp, the other team starts skating back, gapping up and getting in their proper defensive positions. By throwing it into the jaws of that, you're creating a situation where we're even numbers or worse. 3v3, 3v4, 3v5, 2v3, 2v4, etc. At full speed, these are not optimal numbers for organic offense to thrive in. The gaps are too tight, the game is going too fast for offense to flourish.

So, we use our forwards to push the defense back to its own line. Then when the backchecking forwards slow their roll a little, we hit the late guy to flip the rink...that late guy represents "4"...now, we've picked up an extra guy. The defense is more stationary back at their own blue or even inside it as to not get beat with a rush chance...the forwards are not in "back pressure" mode because they've had to stop and figure out what the hell is happening and why is the puck not to us yet, I thought they were flying the zone to get a quick transition chance...?

Now the forwards are caught a little flat footed in neutral ice, the defense-forward spacing is now wonky because Bryan Rust or Carl Hagelin pushed back the pairing 100 feet because you know if they're in your peripheral, you're beat. You need to be in front of them. Now, we have slowed the game down just as we're about to speed up and the skill has more space to create at their own speed.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Assuming I am picturing what you're talking about correctly, the stop is to let the momentum of the backcheck take its course to reveal a later lane...

So, change of possession, we got it now. Because the puck is in our grasp, the other team starts skating back, gapping up and getting in ....
If I'm understanding this
doubtful ;)
a pass to a flat-footed forward is prit near useless? And, are you suggesting whoever (whether say Dumo...or Phil -in that Florida game where the puck was on his stick but then lifted*) has control of the puck in the D zone in the absence of optimal situation should simply skate with it or perhaps Murphy it?

*They were trapped in the zone for 30/40 seconds. Forget all of the above, it seems to me the best choice there was for him -the second he knew the puck was on his stick- to either start going N or flipping it (or even ice it). It looked to me like he was looking for a pass to any forward blowing the D zone.

btw Thanks for the insight.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Tomorrow I'll try to highlight an instance of what I think you're talking about, I'll diagram it and we can discuss it instead of speaking in the abstract if that's all right...

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Umm. Brian Gionta is in the Bruins lineup
How is this a thing in the year of our Lord 2018

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 am

:thumb: :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 am

Tomorrow I'll try to highlight an instance of what I think you're talking about, I'll diagram it and we can discuss it instead of speaking in the abstract if that's all right...
This would be great. Thank you.