GDT #42 Pens vs Canes, 7:00 ET

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m sure you’ll make up for it.

and I'm sure you'll need more therapy after I do.
Hit us with an Arab joke. We all know the deal with you with.
Ohhh didn't you say you don't have to go into work tmw? Makes sense now.
Go unshackled; we won’t judge.

Nah not gonna gum up the thread any more. You're welcome to PM me and let it all out. Or welcome to mute me.

PS: I refrained from using the term "hijack the thread." That's gotta score me some points, right?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm

The sad thing is that sheary looks good this year. Guentzel looks good. Rust looks good. Kessel played the best 30 games of his life. Dumo has improved. Maatta has never looked better. Even Sprong looks like he belongs. Lots of guys stepped up this year. And our 3 big guns are just awful. Which is apparently enough to derail an entire team.

It happens. I'm not freaking out. But what a leadership failure from guys who I thought were over that.

I hate to be cynical, but don’t underestimate the ability of this group to abandon a coach.
Sullivan seems like a distant weirdo. I love these players and want great things for everyone employed by this team, but when it is ultimately sully's time to go, I'll be ok. Even if he's railroaded by his fickle players.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm

booooooooooooooooooooooo

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Pens shut out at home doesn't happen too often ... and yet it happened for the second time in three games.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

The sad thing is that sheary looks good this year. Guentzel looks good. Rust looks good. Kessel played the best 30 games of his life. Dumo has improved. Maatta has never looked better. Even Sprong looks like he belongs. Lots of guys stepped up this year. And our 3 big guns are just awful. Which is apparently enough to derail an entire team.

It happens. I'm not freaking out. But what a leadership failure from guys who I thought were over that.
Pursuant to our little conversation last week about my failure to understand the lack-of-confidence thing after winning 2 consecutive Cups, I guess I don't understand this, either. I can't fathom that Sid, Geno,and Tanger don't care. But they couldn't have forgotten how to hockey. So, are they pressing? Are they just fried? Is this some misguided attempt at conserving energy to flip the switch after the bye week?

They can't have tuned out Sully, right? I mean, that would be nuts, wouldn't it?

Do they miss Fleury that much?

Do they need Tocchet that much?

I know I'm shouting at a blizzard, but my heart is starting to hurt.

E-Ramone

Postby E-Ramone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I hate to be cynical, but don’t underestimate the ability of this group to abandon a coach.
It looks like either Sullivan has no answers, or the core has tuned him out. Sid has always been a fierce competitor so what we've seen of him this season seems really weird to me.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Pens shut out at home doesn't happen too often ... and yet it happened for the second time in three games.
Hell, any loss at all didn't happen too often.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 pm

It looks like either Sullivan has no answers, or the core has tuned him out. Sid has always been a fierce competitor so what we've seen of him this season seems really weird to me.
They lost quality leadership. That seems like a poor excuse for the big 3, but maybe that’s what they are (or are not).

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:51 pm

slow/can't make two good passes consecutively/losing end of most puck battles/late to react/low on luck/sid on extended sabbatical

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Bleh...that was unpretty...

Sprong looks like he can play in this league as expected...that's a plus...Simon had some nice jump tonight...

That really looked like we were over-matched by Carolina...and I get it, Carolina is building a wagon, very quietly...I had them as a playoff team coming into the year...but we shouldn't be getting waxed by them twice in, effectively, a row...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

They've done this before. We chalked it up to immaturity. We were wrong.

If I had to guess, they're probably all f***ed up in the head for playing so much hockey and accomplishing so much in 2 years. So these old guys want a little space. They had their hard day at the office and they get home to a spouse who is yelling at them to take the trash out, call the plumber, exercise, eat better, etc. and they're basically like, "motherf***er have you been living under a rock? Gimme some god damn breathing room. I know what I'm doing". But the spouse doesn't like to lose arguments, so it only gets worse.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

If this team burns thru another coach already (one with 2 Cups) I'd be way more sour on the core players than I would on Sullivan. That's a pattern.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 pm

They're 2 for 2 in years where they railroad their coach. I can live with the petulance.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm

That is true.

Last defending Cup Champion to miss the playoffs....Carolina Hurricanes

E-Ramone

Postby E-Ramone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Yeah I've thought about the absurdity of firing Sullivan right now given that he hasn't lost a playoff series yet. Maybe the team just isn't very good this year. I wish I knew the answer.

The U

Postby The U » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Yeah I've thought about the absurdity of firing Sullivan right now given that he hasn't lost a playoff series yet. Maybe the team just isn't very good this year. I wish I knew the answer.
I think Sullivan has enough goodwill built up to last another season or two even if we miss playoffs.

Simon on line 1. Guentzel as 3C. Started the season with McKegg as 3C. Kuhnhackl on line 3. Reaves, Rowney, Wilson on line 4. Sprong rotting in WBS for 4 months while team struggles to score. No notable improvements or upgrades to the team after 3 months of poor play even after a number of “threats” from the GM. That’s all on Rutherford. The players take the brunt of the blame IMO but Rutherford came into the season with an incomplete roster and has wasted 4 months of a season without improving it. Waited so long that any changes or shakeups now are likely too little, too late at this point.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 pm

If this team burns thru another coach already (one with 2 Cups) I'd be way more sour on the core players than I would on Sullivan. That's a pattern.
And if they were to get Sully fired, then I wouldn't get that, either (clearly, there's a lot I don't get).

But, holy ****, am I the only one who thinks that would be an unbelievable lack of gratitude on the part of the stars?

JR needs to do something, although I actually think trading Letang would be the death knell for the season. I feel it would tank morale instead of shake things up.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:16 pm

I can't build a realistic, supportable argument for firing Sullivan. Things would have to get big time weird.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm

I can't build a realistic, supportable argument for firing Sullivan. Things would have to get big time weird.
For fun, please do.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Did they suck this bad after the 08 run, heading into Jan/Feb 09? Or it was prob pretty much the same, just different playoff format?

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm

They've done this before. We chalked it up to immaturity. We were wrong.

If I had to guess, they're probably all f***ed up in the head for playing so much hockey and accomplishing so much in 2 years. So these old guys want a little space. They had their hard day at the office and they get home to a spouse who is yelling at them to take the trash out, call the plumber, exercise, eat better, etc. and they're basically like, "motherf***er have you been living under a rock? Gimme some god damn breathing room. I know what I'm doing". But the spouse doesn't like to lose arguments, so it only gets worse.
They know they have jobs where they don't have the luxury of space. They'll get all the space they need when they retire in 8-10 years.

If they know what they're doing, then they might have to meet everyone else halfway and flip the switch sooner. I'd settle for the next game.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Crap

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm

I distinctly do not like Sullivan (which doesn’t matter), but he seems to be a good coach. This is a personnel issue.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:25 pm

For fun, please do.
1. Some historic level collapse, like 5-33-2 the rest of the way.

2. Sullivan gets arrested for solicitation.

3. Crosby says it's either him or Sullivan. Trade me or fire him.

Some combination of these.

I'm not sure 1 gets him fired, less than 50% chance. 2 is a 50-50 chance he gets fired. 3 is a 75% (cough100%cough) chance he gets fired.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Did they suck this bad after the 08 run, heading into Jan/Feb 09? Or it was prob pretty much the same, just different playoff format?
I think this is Feb 14, 2009, after that ignominious loss to the TML (58 games in).