Mike Colligan Article - Mario Lemiuex, Ron Burkle, and the future of the Pittsburgh Penguins

Morkle

Mike Colligan Article - Mario Lemiuex, Ron Burkle, and the future of the Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:45 am

http://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh- ... le-future/

This article is likely where all the talk is coming from about the team potentially being sold in the near future. Worth the read if you have the time.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 am

Yeah, as always, Colligan is a good read. He has a background in financial writing, so he may have some insight on what Burkle will do if the Pens start losing money - no playoff revenue, end of sellout streak, and so on.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

I've said numerous times this season that the Pens will be sold in the next few years. It just makes too much sense.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 am

I don't know much about the business side of hockey... if the team is sold, is there a chance of them moving?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 am

I don't know much about the business side of hockey... if the team is sold, is there a chance of them moving?
Yea....I don't think so. With the market here, new arena, new everything - I don't even know if the NHL would allow it.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:54 am

Don't they have a lease at Consol?

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am

No. The team has a 30 year lease at the Consol once the arena was built.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am

Ah, that's what I was googling and couldn't find. Thanks.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:45 am

So they'll be moved after the 30 year lease is up?

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:21 am

The bigger (and more immediate) potential issue would be new ownership not being as willing to spend up to the cap every year.

cadams

Postby cadams » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:47 am

The bigger (and more immediate) potential issue would be new ownership not being as willing to spend up to the cap every year.
If we are drafting better that's not going to be a problem. You shouldn't be near the upper limit anyways until after the trade deadline. If you are in trouble in November like this team has been recently then your organization will have problems.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:47 am

Well, you don't always have to spend to the cap to have a play-off team....(without looking at any of the rosters)

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Of course not, which is why I only qualified it as a potential issue. But as long as you've got three guys in Sid, Geno, and Letang making some serious long-term coin on your roster, you're not going to have a ton of wiggle room. If there's ever a true, clean regime change though (i.e. people who'd be totally cool in jettisoning off terrible contracts like Kunitz and Scuderi, regardless of their "tenure" or what-have-you) then yeah, we as fans should be able to breath a little easier even if new ownership were slightly more frugal.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

What's this talk in there about the Pens almost not selling out game 7 last year about?
This is the 3rd place I've seen it mentioned.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:37 pm

Maybe the Nuttings will buy the Pens...

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 pm

People think they will sell the Pens based on the speculations of a blogger?
Yoi.

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 am

Great time to release an article like that, with the pens free failing and a chance to miss the playoffs you are going to get a lot of traction with your article than you probably normally would.

That said, i always figured Burkle and Lemieux would sell at some point they as he said they have been playing with house money at this point, if they sell the pens for $500 million say, i think they each pocket between $150-200 Mil based on the other owners in the group. That is a nice chuck of change

One thing that i find amusing is the whole thing about the tickets. Every successful franchise goes through a ticket fatigue, tickets get priced to high, fans get used to the team winning games. The pirates might be the new hot ticket, but i bet an average season ticket package for them is cheaper than the pens. If you want season tickets why wouldn't you jump over and get ones that are cheaper and you get more games

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 am

Dejan covering for Mark Madden basically said that article was made up. He also claimed that he has never seen two owners so on the same page, thats its almost scary how they think exactly alike

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 am

Yoi.
To be fair, Colligan's a pretty good writer in terms of providing info & perspective. Definitely better than the Yohe/Rossi crowd.

Fully get your point, but it's not like we're using a source like Eklund.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:55 am

Dejan covering for Mark Madden basically said that article was made up. He also claimed that he has never seen two owners so on the same page, thats its almost scary how they think exactly alike
In the writers defense, I think he made it clear he is speculating based on the circumstances.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 am

Yoi.
To be fair, Colligan's a pretty good writer in terms of providing info & perspective. Definitely better than the Yohe/Rossi crowd.

Fully get your point, but it's not like we're using a source like Eklund.
I think he made it clear that he was just speculating on the circumstances. He wasn't "reporting" anything and definitely didn't state that "sources" told him that this would happen. I think he was just looking at the situation and wrote an article on what he could see happening.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:36 am

I think he made it clear that he was just speculating on the circumstances. He wasn't "reporting" anything and definitely didn't state that "sources" told him that this would happen. I think he was just looking at the situation and wrote an article on what he could see happening.
This is exactly how I took it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:32 pm

That's a lot of words for no actual substance. The only thing I learned is that Mario is building an expensive house in Montreal.