Meow's Morning Meeting - 4-7-15 vs. OTT

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:49 am

Morning Yinz. Man.... Just, man. Man... I don't really know where to start. Fleury, Sid, and Martin came to play. The other 16 players...I don't know what you'd call that. I think Lovejoy tried to lose the game. I've never seen a softer game from a defenseman than Pouliot turned in last night. Comeau should remember he is Blake freaking Comeau and simplify his game a bit. Malkin is about as healthy has my 85 year old grandmother.

As crumby as the outcome was, that was some exciting, drama filled sport. Ottawa played like their hair was on fire once they settled into the game. The Pens did not. Every one of you lived and died with Lovejoy trying not to shart his pants in the last half of the third period. I guess everyone is a target today, but I don't understand the finger pointing at MJ. No pro athlete should need their coach to get them emotionally invested in the game. These are not peewee players.

All told, I'm not too upset. I'm a hockey fan first, a Pens fan second and that was entertaining.
Last edited by meow on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:55 am

ugh

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:00 am

Playing another incomplete game. How can you come out on fire like that and then just sit back an wait to see what happens. The first goal is 100% on Pouliot, and I'm not even talking about him deflecting the puck into his net, I'm talking about the terrible turnover in a spot on the PP that you just can't turn the puck over. It was frustrating to watch after the 1st period, because you almost knew what was coming.

This will make the game on Friday interesting at least... They need to pull themselves together because they play the Islanders Friday who are still jostling for playoff position, and a Buffalo team on Saturday that might have last place clinch by Saturday and are just looking to show their fans a good time. Meanwhile the Sens play the Rangers (already have the presidents trophy), and the Flyers (would just love to screw over the Pens, I'm sure).

This all around sucks right now, but it'll at least make the last couple games interesting. Go Pens, get your s*** together.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:07 am

The penguins deserve to miss the playoffs. If they get in, it will be an injustice.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:08 am

I think last nights game showed that the common idea that "the stars are the problem" is not the problem at all. Crosby, Hornqvist, and Fleury were unbelievable, Letang was sorely missed, and Malkin was playing so hard I thought he was going to collapse on the bench.

But then you look at our second tier guys: Kunitz, Comeau, Lovejoy, Sutter, Perron, Scuderi. They are either not good enough (Comeau, Lovejoy), too freaking old (Kunitz, Scuderi), or just don't contribute in the ways they should. For example, I know that faceoffs are a crapshoot, but when the goalie was pulled, Brandon Sutter was cleanly beaten on two faceoffs versus Kyle Turris. If he wins one of those, we probably clear then puck and milk the clock down. Its the small things that cause the Pens to lose these important games

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:08 am

Horny came to play, too. He really has to ask himself what he's taking all that abuse in front of the net for,

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am

Bunch of losers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 am

This was sobering and disturbing...

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:19 am

Their propensity to a.) stop working after the first period and b.) blowing leads has been an issue all season.

Too little talent and too many tired bodies? I don't know, bu I do know that it's not inspiring.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:00 am

I saw the own goal and knew the team would collapse. Ugh. Just a really fragile group in that locker room right now.

Any prognosis on Pouliot?

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:24 am

our lineup on D was a joke going into the game. once we were down to 5 men, it got surreal. so i don't know...losing to a hot ottawa team 4-3 in OT seems like we overachieved in a sense. the way we went about it was oof, but those first 10 minutes were an anomaly. and with that defense, i don't even know if it's one of the biggest choke jobs of the year. we were just out manned.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:32 am

They can't send Pouliot down if he's injured, right? If they could or if he's not injured, I would swap him for Dumoulin. Dumoulin obviously doesn't have the offensive upside, but Pouliot is just a train wreck right now in the defensive zone, and he's not making up for it on offense.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:40 am

I feel there's a few that have been very supportive of the team on here despite losses that have always said "Meh, they lost but there's still good work being done here, here, and here" such as myself, you, Avyran, etc.

Last night was kind of a "**** it" moment for me. I left after they went up 3-0 to go play my own game. Come off the ice and ask the woman what the score is. "3-2 with 2 and a half minutes left." Stood in the parking lot and refreshed the scoresheet over and over, saw they tied it, then saw the freaking bench minor with 30 seconds left.

I think last night was the first time I said "They don't deserve to make the playoffs."

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah, I'm very supportive of the team because I saw what was built differently - both personnel and structure - and thought that we really had something...and we might...we might...the last few weeks there has been an uptick in work rate, especially from the captain...he steers us toward a lead before anyone can even get to the desolate village that the Senators play in (Kanata, Ontario, about 40 minutes outside of Ottawa...thus, the 7:30 home starts)...

I was talking to one of my friends on the way to men's league early in the night, that we would trounce the Sens...this is the statement game. Hammond isn't good, hell, that team isn't good. No first line, fringe NHLers on defense, a fringe NHLer in net...5-0 Penguins. The Sens are running out of steam for this thing...

And 3-0 after one, it was looking good. The unfortunate bounce off of DP...and then the third period, we couldn't match them...we're too slow...they out competed us...and I understand ebbs and flows in games, and teams in desperation and all that...but you just can't give up a 3-0 lead in a game like that...that's not good enough.

Not one for kneejerk reactions, I thought about this for a while...and maybe we really are as good (well, average...) as our record indicates...which is silly to say, "of course they are, jack***...how could they not be...?" but really, last night was really a sobering loss...I want the team to make the playoffs, and honestly, I still think they make it...but man, that's a harbinger of gloom right there...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:52 am

Game summarized the entire season.

Like Trip said, Crosby, Hornqvist, & Fleury played well. The rest of the team, well... how do you lose a 3-0 lead in a game that clinches the playoffs? How do you let the other team completely outplay you for two+ periods? This isn't just a this-game problem; it's a prolonged problem.

Once again, the power play was 0-4 and completely sucked momentum out of the Pens. They were up 3-0 and had the powerplay to keep it going. Instead, the Sens killed it with relative ease. They had a second chance in the second period... and gave up a SHG. They then had a third chance at the end of the 2nd to stem the Sens' momentum... & got nothing. Then, in the 3rd period, they had a chance to ice the game halfway through the period. Nothing.

Whatever. Crosby played like a captain. Fleury played like the MVP of the season that he is. Hornqvist played like what Kunitz used to, being the best complementary winger for Crosby. That's about it.

GS, I said the exact same thing. This team does not deserve the playoffs anymore (edit: at this point. Things change every game).
Last edited by Avyran on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:52 am

I feel there's a few that have been very supportive of the team on here despite losses that have always said "Meh, they lost but there's still good work being done here, here, and here" such as myself, you, Avyran, etc.

Last night was kind of a "**** it" moment for me. I left after they went up 3-0 to go play my own game. Come off the ice and ask the woman what the score is. "3-2 with 2 and a half minutes left." Stood in the parking lot and refreshed the scoresheet over and over, saw they tied it, then saw the freaking bench minor with 30 seconds left.

I think last night was the first time I said "They don't deserve to make the playoffs."
Yes, last night was a turning point for me too. While I generally agree with what shmenguin said, and I think that the outcome would have been different if either the puck did not go in off of Pouliot's skate or if Chorney's shot went in instead of hitting the post, there have just been too many games like this where you say "if only". And if there are too many of these games, it all comes down to a game or two where anything can happen. Not a good place to be.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:54 am

Yeah, I'm very supportive of the team because I saw what was built differently - both personnel and structure - and thought that we really had something...and we might...we might...the last few weeks there has been an uptick in work rate, especially from the captain...he steers us toward a lead before anyone can even get to the desolate village that the Senators play in (Kanata, Ontario, about 40 minutes outside of Ottawa...thus, the 7:30 home starts)...

I was talking to one of my friends on the way to men's league early in the night, that we would trounce the Sens...this is the statement game. Hammond isn't good, hell, that team isn't good. No first line, fringe NHLers on defense, a fringe NHLer in net...5-0 Penguins. The Sens are running out of steam for this thing...

And 3-0 after one, it was looking good. The unfortunate bounce off of DP...and then the third period, we couldn't match them...we're too slow...they out competed us...and I understand ebbs and flows in games, and teams in desperation and all that...but you just can't give up a 3-0 lead in a game like that...that's not good enough.

Not one for kneejerk reactions, I thought about this for a while...and maybe we really are as good (well, average...) as our record indicates...which is silly to say, "of course they are, jack***...how could they not be...?" but really, last night was really a sobering loss...I want the team to make the playoffs, and honestly, I still think they make it...but man, that's a harbinger of gloom right there...
The D is just so taxed right now. When a little bit of pressure is applied on them they break. Scuderi and Lovejoy were awful in the 3rd. I'm going to be realistic, without Letang and Ehrhoff this team isnt going anywhere.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:58 am

7.25 and 4 cap hits... that's 11.25 mil out from our defensive corps. That's tough for any team to handle, let alone a team that can't make any call ups due to the cap situation.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:06 am

In terms of the roster and personnel, you couldn't realistically ask for MORE of a turnover than what they were given. The team just seemed to need more punch in the last few seasons while still holding that strong core together. Hornqvist, Downie, Perron, Lapierre, Comeau...they seem like they're actually BUILT for the playoffs. On paper, of course. But the product they've put out in the 2nd half of the season is just awful. You gotta show some gumption. Surprise everyone, instead of hearing my friends go "Oh I've seen this script before" and blow another lead just as they said. This was the game, for me at least, for them to scratch and claw into the playoffs, and come in with a chip on their shoulder and try not to be the easy matchup instead of the other way around. Play like they had something to prove. Instead, they forgot to tie their skates after the 1st period and tripped onto their faces coming down the runway.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

our defense is mangled, our bottom 6 has cement in their skates and the way the officiating is going has marginalized our greatest assets. i think that's all it is. i don't even know if it's a sign of compete level, since too many of our guys look like they're skating in mud, even when fully engaged.

some of this is on the GM. some of it is just unfortunate.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:19 am

I'm mad at myself that I still care about this team right now enough that even know I say I won't watch the two games over the weekend I will, just like I said I wouldn't watch the Flyers game after they lost to Columbus. Just so frustrating.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:22 am

it's funny...the winnik trade was completely irresponsible and such a mistake, and he was sort of a goat last night, but i still like his game and am glad he's on this team. he plays tough and heavy. we lack in both categories. if we're going to reboot again this summer, i hope he stays around.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:26 am

I'm mad at myself that I still care about this team right now enough that even know I say I won't watch the two games over the weekend I will, just like I said I wouldn't watch the Flyers game after they lost to Columbus. Just so frustrating.
I will watch friday because i will be there. Ive been in "only watch when i go" mode with the pens for going on 2 months.