Going forward

thehockeyguru

Going forward

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:07 pm

I know its putting the cart ahead of the horse, but what if the Pens go one and done? You're GMJR, what is your to do list this offseason? You're core has now regressed for 4 years.

shafnutz05

Re: Going forward

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:11 pm

If possible, you need to re-sign Downie. Bad penalties aside, he is a desperately needed producer in the bottom six.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:11 pm

I think the biggest thing for GMJR to do is just continue to build depth. He did what he could with the small amount of the time he's had so far. I like the course he's taken. I know people were upset with the Despres trade, but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. The biggest thing is don't panic after a one and done if it comes to that. Stay the course.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:17 pm

I really think the big picture with the GMJR hiring was to have a veteran GM in here they were to put a Letang / Malkin / Crosby on the trade block.

I think he was brought in here to do his best to win now, but if that isnt possible then oversee the retooling. I wouldnt go as far as calling it a rebuild.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:20 pm

who's a FA after this year? Adams (no way he'll be resigned), PM (probably gone), Erhoff (his recent injuries are very scary. I don't think he'll be resigned), Comeau (should probably be resigned, very good chemistry with Geno) and Downie (more than likely should be resigned, but his penalties are a little worrisome)?

I don't think any trades are necessary. You can replace Adams in the lineup with Sundqvist and maybe sign a bottom four d-man to replace Erhoff with Maatta coming back.

we have a very strong team. I honestly don't think many moves are needed, we've just been plagued by lame injuries.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:32 pm

who's a FA after this year? Adams (no way he'll be resigned), PM (probably gone), Erhoff (his recent injuries are very scary. I don't think he'll be resigned), Comeau (should probably be resigned, very good chemistry with Geno) and Downie (more than likely should be resigned, but his penalties are a little worrisome)?

I don't think any trades are necessary. You can replace Adams in the lineup with Sundqvist and maybe sign a bottom four d-man to replace Erhoff with Maatta coming back.

we have a very strong team. I honestly don't think many moves are needed, we've just been plagued by lame injuries.

UFA's - Ehrhoff and Martin on D. Up top: Comeau, Downie, Winnik, and Lapierre

The biggest hole to fill is Martin's spot on the top D pairing. The problem is there is no UFA that fills that need. I'd rather give Maata a shot then go the free agency route.
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:34 pm

I thought CFA was too

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 pm

UFA's - Ehrhoff and Martin on D. Up top: Adams, Comeau, Downie, Winnik, and Lapierre

The biggest hole to fill is Martin's spot on the top D pairing. The problem is there is no UFA that fills that need. I'd rather give Maata a shot then go the free agency route.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm

I see them bringing back Comeau, but I think Downie is gone (along with Tocchet) and no way Erhoff or Lapierre and Winnik are back. Paul Martin won't likely be back.

cadams

Postby cadams » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Depending on price bring back All the forward but Adams. Let Martin, Ehrhoff and Geiss go.

dugpa

Postby dugpa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Downie will probably want more money to stay, and as much as I like him I don't think we should shell out that much for him. So happy CMFA is gone though. What to do about Kunitz?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Downie will probably want more money to stay, and as much as I like him I don't think we should shell out that much for him. So happy CMFA is gone though. What to do about Kunitz?
Really? I don't see Downie cashing in this offseason... He might, but I think there are too many teams that won't even bother with the risk.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:02 pm

I see them bringing back Comeau, but I think Downie is gone (along with Tocchet) and no way Erhoff or Lapierre and Winnik are back. Paul Martin won't likely be back.
I think its a bit early to speculate on which role players stay and go. I am interested in seeing how these guys perform in the playoffs. For me thats what really matters.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:29 pm

1 and done and I wouldn't mind seeing a big piece (71 or 87) get put on the block to see what the return would be. I'm not saying pull the trigger. I'm saying put some feelers out...

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Letang lovejoy
Maatta Pouliot
Scudharrington
I guess dumoulin

Get cheap on defense and fill out the forwards with some decent players. Deal with the defensive growing pains as pouliot proves himself to be an inept nhl defenseman...then see what you have back there at the deadline and act accordingly. There is way too much they still have to learn about their "almost ready" d prospects and they may as well find out now.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:55 pm

And by now i mean next year.

Flounder

Postby Flounder » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:02 pm

1 and done and I wouldn't mind seeing a big piece (71 or 87) get put on the block to see what the return would be. I'm not saying pull the trigger. I'm saying put some feelers out...
I think I would agree, while I love having two #1 centers the team doesn't really need it and it takes away from our depth. I think maybe if you get a second tier center and a good depth player in replacement of say Malkin it might make the team better as a whole. A Backes or Kesler type player(not them specifically) who can score but will also play real solid 2 way hockey. That way there is bit more to spend on other areas. As we've seen that if Crosby and Malkin are off their game/shutdown the team kinda goes down the drain.

I'd say just explore the options at least.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Letang lovejoy
Maatta Pouliot
Scudharrington
I guess dumoulin

Get cheap on defense and fill out the forwards with some decent players. Deal with the defensive growing pains as pouliot proves himself to be an inept nhl defenseman...then see what you have back there at the deadline and act accordingly. There is way too much they still have to learn about their "almost ready" d prospects and they may as well find out now.
That was always the plan, to draft these guys / trade for them and build up a good, young, cheap D. I'd love to find a taker for Kunitz and Scuderi and complete the team overhaul before I move a guy like Crosby or Malkin.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Lovejoy on the first pair is really meh. If it comes down to that I think we'd have to sign a guy or make a trade.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Lovejoy on the first pair is really meh. If it comes down to that I think we'd have to sign a guy or make a trade.
Maata would be a better fit on the top pair but again, less than ideal.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Well i would have preferred letang despres...

I think the pairs i gave above make the most sense. I dont know where else to slot people.

jaybird

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Trade Sid and Geno for McJesus and Eichel. Bring back Bortz and Despres. Bring back Bylsma while we're at it. /s

First post, just testing the waters. If possible, it would be nice to be able to read the OP topic text while replying. Good luck getting this bird off the ground. Cheers.

beer_n_guns

Postby beer_n_guns » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:06 pm

I don't think that should even be considered. As the cap keeps going up, their contracts are going to be good deals for the organization. A little depth is sacrificed by keeping them, but I look at it this way: Opportunities are fairly abundant to build a depth team. Opportunities are extremely limited to build a team around the best player in the world, and a player who at times is the 2nd best player in the world.

Getting Adams out of the lineup will be a big help.

I think Bennett should be moved. I like him, but his tenure in Pittsburgh has just been brutal and a fresh start would be best for both sides.

I want Downie back next year. He's been able to make some good contributions offensively, with the drawback obviously being penalties.

Martin and Erhoff should not be kept. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the young dmen coming up to the NHL.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Erhoff has been fragile and he's going to want more money. Martin will draw more than I think we want to pay. I do like the idea of bringing back Downie, but I don't see bringing back any of the other UFAs. Winnik has been so invisible that I don't see why the Pens even traded for him (two picks plus Sill!?!). I do want to see both Oskar Sundqvist and Kasperi Kapanen on the roster for next year.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:07 pm

The Penguins remind me of the Philadelphia Eagles of the early 2000's -- the team that had all kinds of talent, kept getting to the NFC title game and even to the Super Bowl once, but always lost without winning the trophy. Obviously, the Penguins are different in that they've already won the Cup in this time frame. However, after the ramp up to the Cup in 09, we've seen nothing but frustration and disappointment. Yes, injuries have had a GIGANTIC impact in a number of those issues. I've thought since mid-January that they're going to be one-and-done in this year's playoffs (feel free to malign me when I'm wrong, I'll gladly take the punishment). If and when that occurs, I think an overhaul needs to begin as like those Eagles of 2000-06, the window will have closed on this era of Penguins.

If Kunitz is still under contract, find someone to trade him to. Dupuis's health can't be counted on and frankly, he should retire to save that health. While I've liked Adams for his PK ability in recent years, there was a noticeable uptick to the 4th line during that West Coast trip when the team was fully healthy (imagine that?) and he was scratched. As noted above, Winnik has been invisible and maybe he needs to still gel with these guys but I haven't seen anything to inspire any confidence. I like Downie's grit and his scoring ability but like his doppelganger, Matt Cooke, he's gained a reputation this year and that hurts the team. But there's no one else likely to fill that role that this team desperately needs. I like Lapierre's puckhandling ability and he's good quality depth to have on the bottom 6. Defensively, I can't see Ehrhoff coming back simply because who knows what's going on in that head after his injury issues. I don't think we'll sign Martin either, even though I'd like to see him in a Pens uniform...just not at the price he's likely to command. If we have all of these young defensemen down at SWB, it's time to see what they can do for a full season. They're a cheaper option anyway.

As for the idea of dangling 87 or 71 on the market, I think it's crazy. The grass isn't always greener and no matter how much depth you think you might add by trading one of them, do you really think the quality is going to match what you give up in one of those two? When healthy, you have two of the highest-scoring players in the entire league...EVERY SEASON. Teams would kill to have one of them, let alone two. This team still needs to have a foundation and 87, 71, 58, and 29 are it for years to come. Even though a ton of money is tied up in those 4, a good GM will be able to mine the league and find the complementary parts for that foundation.