The #Pens have acquired Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick for Oskar Sundqvist and the 31st overall pick.

Kicksave

The #Pens have acquired Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick for Oskar Sundqvist and the 31st overall pick.

Postby Kicksave » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:04 am

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/878434136981217281
In before one of the pissbabies (dodint, weenie, etc) complain about the board clock or that you're talking about this in another thread.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 am

I for one hate the megathreads when actual stuff happens. Mainly because it'sbeing discussed in each of them. Your board you do you

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 am

I for one hate the megathreads

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, thank you. I hate having to follow two different discussions in multiple threads.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 am

Interviews about the trade/draft
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/nhl- ... t-penguins

There's no ambiguity about their agenda...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 am

Reaves hits like a **** truck, so I am looking forward to him creating chaos on the forecheck.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 am

Nice points, though I disagree that Reaves won't deter hits. People are saying that we got Reaves to protect Sid, but just as importantly, he'll protect Letang. How often have we seen teams throw the puck down ice with the idea that they'll obliterate Letang when he goes to pick it up? Teams are going to be much less inclined to do this when they know the hardest hitter in the league can do this against their own stars. I love this trade.
Is there any support that this actually happens in the current NHL? Even decent anecdotal support?

I don't hate the deal because 20 spots in this draft just doesn't matter, and I respect going and getting the one guy you want to fill a role. That said, I'm just not sure why I should believe acquiring the intangibles Reaves brings will provide any sort of tangible benefit.
EDIT: I also love how this trade sends a big "FU" to the NHL and it's garbage officiating.
I think this is a huge part of this trade, and I almost believe it was done with the 31st overall pick for effect.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:00 am

I have wanted Reaves for a bit now...strongest player in the league, major talker, capable 4th liner, he can actually do something from a security perspective in a league with almost no fighting, plus an instigator rule...he can skate well enough for a truck to hit your best guy and hurt him...

Just not a guy I would want to have to deal with...

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HFWDhzT8lk

he beats up tom wilson at 1:10

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 am

Was just gonna post that...

This guy is throwing hammers...he puts down Ryan Getzlaf...come on, the Wales is gonna be a cakewalk for him...he is gonna reach his entire arm down Tom Wilson's throat and punch him in the heart...

I like having this guy around and he makes the game fun...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:14 am

Did he kill Wilson? :lol:

I'm a caveman, so looking forward to beat downs

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 am

How's his skating?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:25 am

After sleeping on this trade, it raises a somewhat rhetorical question: What is the actual worth of an NHL draft pick?

Seems like the answer is "not much"

The pens are in a sports town with the stillers and the pirates. The NFL draft is the most highly covered draft and probably the draft with the highest success rate. The stillers have had plenty of success drafting guys in the late first round. The pirates treat draft picks (and prospects) like national freaking treasures even if their success rate is highly suspect. So the NHL draft has to be taken into context when looking at those other two drafts.

It's fairly obvious that GMJR doesn't give two hoots about the draft pick, and really doesn't care all that much about prospects....or at least prospects not named Murray or Sprong....so if he thinks he can add something that is functional to the roster, he might as well do it. And why should he give two shts about draft picks or prospects? The prospects they have ditched during the GMJR era and even the GMRS era amounted to diddly poo in the NHL for the most part.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:50 am

I like this trade for the most obvious overall aspect of it...it adds a player whose 'skill set' doesn't currently exist on the roster. HCMS has shown a great affinity for being able to use his stratego pieces in an incredibly effective manner, but he's never had a bomb diffuser. Reaves is a freaking bomb diffuser.

I agree with Krafster that he won't be much of a deterrent per se, but rather a way for us to respond in kind to overly physical d-bags... or preemptively smack down overly physical d-bags. He'll hit hard, chirp, and stand up for players if called upon. No, he's not the most skilled hockey player, but we've got plenty of skill on this team. Now we have a bomb diffuser too.

relantel

Postby relantel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 am

I get the Reaves side of it, and I am ok with that. I just didn't like the price. I think they overpaid. On the other hand, if Sundqvist wasn't going to crack the lineup anyway, maybe the price isn't quite as steep as I thought last night.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:59 am

The price was basically free tbh

Sundqvist is garbage and 10 spots in the draft don't mean doggy poo poo

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 am

I like what Blues' GM Doug Armstrong says about Reaves:
"It was very difficult. Not surprisingly, Pittsburgh called and made an extremely enticing offer and probably if they would have just called today, I don't think I could have been in the mental position to do it," Armstrong said. "Then the Philaedelphia trade and getting a high character player like Schenn back, I don't want to say it made it palatable, but ... it's not a comfortable feeling because I've had an opportunity to watch Ryan grow on and off the ice, get married, bring a young child into the world. As good as he is a competitor on the ice, he's a better person off the ice. Those are the things I think that inside the organization, you get a chance to see something when you see someone every day. I'm going to miss his personality, I'm going to miss his demeanor, his professionalism and his desire to try and get better and better. ... He did a phenomenal job of preparing for the new NHL and not surprisingly, the Pittsburgh Penguins saw that also."
"I don't think we have a Ryan Reaves replacement internally and I'm not sure there's a Ryan Reaves replacement externally," Armstrong said. "That's why he was so valuable. We've been fortunate enough now to have Ryan for a number of years. I understand his value. Every team has a player of his capabilities and his skill set and now we're one that doesn't. I don't think it's as easy to go out and getting one. I put a lot of value in what Ryan does in many different fashions and facets than what maybe other people do. If there was an easy replacement for Ryan Reaves, on July 1st, (Penguins GM) Jim Rutherford would have just waited and done that."
http://lkorac10.blogspot.com/2017/06/bl ... -pick.html

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:28 am

How's his skating?
For a 225 pound ball of muscle, pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADQPwGKj-0

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:31 am

Maybe they desperately needed a AAAA center, but I get why St Louis made this trade.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:35 am

Maybe they desperately needed a AAAA center, but I get why St Louis made this trade.
I think getting Schenn a few hours earlier made it easier for them to let go of Reaves.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 am

Quad-A is a term for players too good for the minors...that does not describe Sundqvist ;)

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 am

Quad-A is a term for players too good for the minors...that does not describe Sundqvist ;)
:lol:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:54 am

The locker room and off the ice stuff tells me he's a good guy who should fit in nicely with this team.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 am

I think Reaves will prove to be a tremendous addition.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Somebody else mentioned recently here that they wanted to trade for Reaves. Who was it?