The #Pens have acquired Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick for Oskar Sundqvist and the 31st overall pick.

Puckhead

The #Pens have acquired Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick for Oskar Sundqvist and the 31st overall pick.

Postby Puckhead » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 pm

I hope the kid we drafted with that pick is something special. I miss Reaves already.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 pm

He is probably the scariest guy in the league.
He's not dumb enough to be the scariest. Tom Wilson is operated by a video game controller of an 8 year old in Philadelphia. He has no brain. And is scarier than Reaves.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:50 pm

He's not dumb enough to be the scariest. Tom Wilson is operated by a video game controller of an 8 year old in Philadelphia. He has no brain. And is scarier than Reaves.
True, but unpredictable is slightly scary. Legit scary is legit scary.

I also feel like Wilson can be put in his place. I don't know that anyone could keep Reaves in check if he didn't want to.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Late to the party on this, since I was away. Yes, I think JR way overpaid. But I really like this trade. I've seen enough STL games to know I'm going to love Ryan Reaves in a Pens' sweater. He's fast, can play, and isn't a goon. He's a freight train, a positive force, hilarious, and exhibits such joy on the ice. I do believe that Sully will get a lot out of him, and we're going to enjoy watching it unfold.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:01 pm

I legit LOLed at this description. Nice, shmenguin. :lol:

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm

https://twitter.com/Letang_58/status/878459507529007104
Glad to have @rreaves75 on our side !! #beast Welcome to the @penguins

Letang is excited
Reaves said Sid texted him, saying he was happy to have him on the team. He and Tanger could've just said, "Welcome to the team."

If Tanger and Sid are happy, then I'm happy.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pm

It seems all the people who hate this move are nerds who have never played a physical sport
I'm a nerd who has never played a physical sport. I've even been called a delicate flower (lulz). And I'm all over this. Welcome, Reavo!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 pm

I also feel like Wilson can be put in his place. I don't know that anyone could keep Reaves in check if he didn't want to.
Yes

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:48 pm

My English is ungood in that post. Woof.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm

My English is ungood in that post. Woof.
You dont win the cup without 4th line grammar guys to mop up that crease

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:23 pm

https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/ ... 8545994754

I'm laughing way too damn hard at this. :lol:

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm

That is bizarre and unexpectedly funny coming from Madden.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 am

Mark Madden pays strippers to fart on him so I don't listen to anything he has to say.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 am

Haven't been able to watch a ton of games but I haven't noticed this guy once in the 8-10 games I've seen. Bad trade or worst trade?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:14 am

Good trade still. Reaves has been a good player on the fourth line. Big time size, physicality, he can fight and he isn't a dummy on the rink by any stretch of the imagination...the fourth line has been pretty good the last couple weeks, developing good chemistry...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:05 am

Thought we'd see a little more demolition on the forecheck, but he looks like an NHL player and Sundqvist never did. So the trade still works for me.

This is a very weird season. Sid, Letang and Schultz have had bad years. Malkin is so so. I'm basically satisfied with everyone else. Even our bottom centers do good things. It's just that none of it leads to goals. I think it starts to click for these guys at some point. I actually think it should have already but hasn't for some reason.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am

Good trade. As mikey said, he's not a stupid hockey player. His on icing position and puck movement has a purpose. Like shmenguin, I thought we would see more from him on the forecheck, but I think the entire team has looked subpar there. Not enough puck possession to work the puck down low. Last Wednesday's game against Vancouver was my first game in person this season and I thought he was great. Did a lot of little things on the ice that you don't see from your run of the mill meathead (which he isn't). No idea if that translated into the screen and through the mind numbing voice of Steve Mears though.

Of course, the other side of this is that Sundqvist is a turd so it really doesn't matter who he was traded for, because he's more bad than Greg McKegg.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 am

He performs as advertised. I'm perfectly satisfied with the trade.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:44 am

Yeah, I think Reaves is perfectly fine as a 4th liner. It's just that it doesn't seem like we have anyone in those bottom 5 forward spots (Sheahan, Hagelin, Kuhnhackl, Reaves, McKegg, Rowney) looks likely to score more than 5 goals on the year. I'd feel a lot better about Reaves if they had a 4th line center like Cullen, who actually scored at a decent rate.

meow

Postby meow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 pm

We’ve been spoiled with our forward depth the last two seasons. This is what the majority of clubs look like in the bottom six.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:14 pm

We’ve been spoiled with our forward depth the last two seasons. This is what the majority of clubs look like in the bottom six.
It's mostly Cullen who is missed. He could play every forward position, in every situation, and win draws like crazy. At some point, Sprong will be up, but he's a guy who is top 6 or bust. Hagelin is making way too much $ to be an empty jersey most nights.

The tricky thing about a 4th line is that chemistry is a big factor. You can't simply go out and get someone and slot them in anywhere. There have been 4th lines on past championship teams that featured 3 below average hockey players, but they made up an effective line.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm not particularly worried about the 4th line - they have talent for that role to be sufficiently effective. It's how the 3rd line is composed, which should be the focus. That likely involves another trade.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:37 pm

It seems not being noticed is a good thing for this guy. That's the same with most bottom of the order guys. I'll take it.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 pm

You bait by saying "Bad trade or worst trade?" Then 4 hours later say "I'll take it." ?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:03 pm

He prefaced it with, effectively, "I don't know what I'm talking about"...which was evident with how he loaded the question, but, yeah, I mean what can we expect...the guy takes his balls out in public when he urinates and thinks a straw has two holes but shirts have one...just be thrilled we got a hockey discussion semi generated... :lol:

Ya know, I actually browsed, briefly, LGP for the first time in at least a couple years...there's not really a lot going on there where I popped in...our NPR is more active and the GDTs/season discussion don't seem as active as I would have guessed...FlPF is there, but not a lot of others that I immediately recognized, maybe one or two whose names already escape me...I wonder if we shouldn't do another round of invites soon...