slappybrown

Fire MJ

Postby slappybrown » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:42 pm

This board has arrived.

the wicked child

Fire MJ

Postby the wicked child » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Hmm....it could help.
Same roster, same injuries, different coach... Do you really believe things would be drastically different? Not really convinced.

obhave

Fire MJ

Postby obhave » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:48 pm

This board has arrived.
Didn't quite feel like home yet.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Fire MJ

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Mike Johnston = Kevin Constantine.

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:14 pm

You wanted 48 shots...?

First stupid hockey-related thread of the new board...at least we got that out of the way, pressure is off now...

Tico Rick

Fire MJ

Postby Tico Rick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Hmm....it could help.
Same roster, same injuries, different coach... Do you really believe things would be drastically different? Not really convinced.
Kind of like the new board. :pop:

Solidsnake

Fire MJ

Postby Solidsnake » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:00 pm

You wanted 48 shots...?

First stupid hockey-related thread of the new board...at least we got that out of the way, pressure is off now...
I'm so glad you're genius brain is here

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:04 pm

lol seriously though, good thread.

columbia

Fire MJ

Postby columbia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Tico Rick

Fire MJ

Postby Tico Rick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Meet the new boss...
Just kidding. I'm liking this site so far.

Pavel Bure

Fire MJ

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:17 pm

15 regulation wins in last 46. (Yohe pg.36)

Rylan

Fire MJ

Postby Rylan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:35 pm

15 regulation wins in last 46. (Yohe pg.36)
That is extremely poor. I was curious as to how bad they have been.

Viva la Ben

Fire MJ

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:37 pm

We can't fire the players :shrug:

RonnieFranchise

Fire MJ

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Somewhere Bylsma and Shero are having a beer and laughing their asses off.

Robot B9

Fire MJ

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:29 pm

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get fired following either missing the playoffs completely or a first round exit. Probably not shocked, though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Fire MJ

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Hmm....it could help.
but this result isn't like last year's. Last year we almost were the number 1 seed in the conference. Not making the playoffs wasn't even remotely close.

I'm seriously not convinced that HCMJ is not an upgrade over FHCDB. In fact, he looks like a downgrade so far.

I guess that makes me an idiot, but you guys should already know that about me.

And I'm not buying the "it's his first season" crap because FHCDB won a Stanley Cup in his first half year...

Beveridge

Fire MJ

Postby Beveridge » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:57 pm

The sour taste from Bylsma was how those teams got bounced in the playoffs.

Losing to an inferior Habs team, up 3-1 on tampa and blowing it, the circus that was philly, swept by Boston in ECF, up 3-1 on Rangers and blowing it.

He wasn't that bad of a coach, he had really bad end results in the playoffs.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Fire MJ

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

The sour taste from Bylsma was how those teams got bounced in the playoffs.

Losing to an inferior Habs team, up 3-1 on tampa and blowing it, the circus that was philly, swept by Boston in ECF, up 3-1 on Rangers and blowing it.

He wasn't that bad of a coach, he had really bad end results in the playoffs.
yeah but at least we were a regular season giant.

maybe HCMJ is a much better playoff coach, but if not, I'd rather have good regular season and bad playoff over bad regular season and bad playoff

darkstar57

Fire MJ

Postby darkstar57 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

I am still 50-50 on Johnston right now, part of me feels like he has brought some good chances to this team, in its break out and it style of play (the first two months of the year i don't feel lik where a fluke. Part of me feels he is a good assistant coach (or head coach at the lower levels) because i do think he has a lot of knowledge and insight to help players.

I really need to see how he works in the playoffs to really judge him

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Structurally, and I saw this first-hand today...structurally, we're so much better than we were under Bylsma...we play real hockey, which is an adjustment...and it is costly to offense...we were a very offensive-minded team under Bylsma...HCMJ is more calculated and thoughtful...attacks are made more deliberately with more numbers...how often do we attack 1 on 3, 2 on 3 anymore...? We don't. How often do we stretch pass to island players? Almost never. I don't know if someone keeps track of this, but odd-man rushes, odd-man situations as a result of D-to-D turnovers below the dots feel like they are down...but how often do we go back to our D to start a play? Almost always. How often do we have criss-cross support on NZ entries? Often. How often do we have slash support? Often. How about the support from our centers defensively? Way better under MJ...

We aren't perfect, we still have some personnel moves that we can make...but this is the best coaching - from a tactical standpoint - we've gotten since Therrien...and that's with all due respect to Bylsma...he had his moments, he had his pros, I had his back for a while...but I think he pushed the envelope a little too far and culturally, the team was not healthy under his watch...

HCMJ is older school but with new school ideas too...there's no situation where I fire MJ after this season...we could lose out, and I still don't fire him...no reason to...massive improvement structurally for this team, you grow upon that base and you better...now new management and new coaching has a season of evaluation to see what they really have and can get more players that fit with what we're trying to accomplish...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Fire MJ

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:35 pm

The problem was they seemed to let Byslma sit around the office scratching his ass while any real viable option took offers elsewhere. By the time they canned Disco, was MJ really look like that much worse of an option over what was out there? We have way to much of a sample size with various coaches for me to not start thinking this is on the player personnel. 2 maybe 3 guys on these team even know what finishing means. Today was an awful display, all those shots, all those chances and none of these guys are even close to capable of burying a chance.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Fire MJ

Postby Faubert5 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Structurally, and I saw this first-hand today...structurally, we're so much better than we were under Bylsma...we play real hockey, which is an adjustment...and it is costly to offense...we were a very offensive-minded team under Bylsma...HCMJ is more calculated and thoughtful...attacks are made more deliberately with more numbers...how often do we attack 1 on 3, 2 on 3 anymore...? We don't. How often do we stretch pass to island players? Almost never. I don't know if someone keeps track of this, but odd-man rushes, odd-man situations as a result of D-to-D turnovers below the dots feel like they are down...but how often do we go back to our D to start a play? Almost always. How often do we have criss-cross support on NZ entries? Often. How often do we have slash support? Often. How about the support from our centers defensively? Way better under MJ...

We aren't perfect, we still have some personnel moves that we can make...but this is the best coaching - from a tactical standpoint - we've gotten since Therrien...and that's with all due respect to Bylsma...he had his moments, he had his pros, I had his back for a while...but I think he pushed the envelope a little too far and culturally, the team was not healthy under his watch...

HCMJ is older school but with new school ideas too...there's no situation where I fire MJ after this season...we could lose out, and I still don't fire him...no reason to...massive improvement structurally for this team, you grow upon that base and you better...now new management and new coaching has a season of evaluation to see what they really have and can get more players that fit with what we're trying to accomplish...
I agree. Change an assistant or two and change personnel. I don't want to see this team change head coaches at every adverse turn of events.

MR25

Fire MJ

Postby MR25 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:58 pm

The problem was they seemed to let Byslma sit around the office scratching his ass while any real viable option took offers elsewhere. By the time they canned Disco, was MJ really look like that much worse of an option over what was out there? We have way to much of a sample size with various coaches for me to not start thinking this is on the player personnel. 2 maybe 3 guys on these team even know what finishing means. Today was an awful display, all those shots, all those chances and none of these guys are even close to capable of burying a chance.
I don't think 82 games is a big enough sample size in this particular instance, because it's only 82 games to reverse/change something that the players have been doing for 5+ seasons.

It's like you knowing how to do something at work that becomes almost like clockwork, then your boss says "We want the same result, but we're going to do it a completely different way". It's going to take you some time to learn the new way to reach a level of competency that was close to your previous level under the old system, no?

I'd honestly like to see how next year goes before I considering firing him, if I were the GM. People are way too quick to pull the fire the coach card nowadays.