Meow's (Guest-hosted) Morning Meeting - 4-4-15 vs. CBJ

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:16 am

Note: meow asked someone to put up his thread today in the GDT yesterday. I offered to do it if no one else wanted it... and no one else claimed it.
I'm out of town and didn't see the game. Someone take up meow's morning meeting tomorrow. Unless no one can stomach to revisit the game. Which sounds understandable.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, yet another game with a good start, then lapses in judgment causing the downfall. First, the good: the first 30 minutes, the Pens played well. Same with the final 10, for the most part. Crosby played very well, as did Hornqvist. Those two did their best to carry the game. Kunitz played with energy most of the game. Cole has points in three straight games... what a steal. He's playing with confidence. The defense and the team as a whole, during their strong 40 minutes, did a good job of breaking the Blue Jackets' cycle and keeping the puck.

There were some folks who played well enough, too. I'll call them the neutrals. Fleury gave up a lot of goals, but you can't blame him for most of them. Lovejoy did not have the strongest game, but he did provide something desperately needed - a goal / threat from the blue line. For parts of the game, Kunitz/Winnik/Comeau had strong cycles and gave the Blue Jackets trouble. They even got secondary scoring from Sutter.

Then, in one fell swoop, everything turned in the 2nd period. I don't think the Perron giveaway lit the fire for the Blue Jackets - they had started to push after the 2nd goal - but that giveaway caused all of the momentum to go to their side. He is on some kind of horrible slump. Pouliot had a similar giveaway to bring about the Blue Jackets' third goal (if I remember right). I think this was his worst game as a Pen (a -3), but I also think I've been saying that recently after most games. Once the Blue Jackets started to push, the Pens folded. The fourth goal was... sketchy, but the refs put away the whistle for the most part. Downie had an ill-timed holding penalty (which CBJ did not punish), but his penalty was more indicative of the team as a whole. The metro always seems to overwhelm the Pens in one way or another.

IMO, this team is in trouble.

DK had some slightly sensational thoughts (as most beat writers do anymore) that nonetheless still seem to properly note the trouble:
Lovejoy was positively seething at his stall.

So were Crosby, Fleury, Rob Scuderi and a couple others. The rest zipped up their bags and rushed out before having to face any questions themselves.

That’s your 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins, I dare say. At least as currently defined.

They’re legitimately gifted enough to beat some of the league’s elite teams and, at the same time, legitimately unfocused enough to lose focus, lose three two-goal leads in the past six games and lose … well, possibly their whole season before long.
We'll see how Malkin's return affects the Pens today... but man, do they miss Letang, Ehrhoff (the uninjured & capable version), & Maatta. They miss the Perron who was gleeful to be playing with Crosby & scoring often, and the Comeau of the first half of the season, displaying great chemistry with Malkin.

(Edit: Adding Lovejoy's reaction because it's always fun.)

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:27 am

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 am

There's a lot of cheddar sitting in the ER, so it's difficult to make a strong assessment of things.
I'm not pessimistic (beyond the fact that I still think they will be hard pressed to make it past the 2nd round), but there aren't many reasons to be optimistic, largely due to their issues with consistency and fortitude.

bhaw

Postby bhaw » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:25 am

I just posted this in the GDT, but right now a majority of the forwards looks lost, which is how the D looked for years under DB. The centers (Crosby, Malkin, Sutter) all look good. The forwards don't seem to provide any impact unless they are putting in monumental individual effort like Hornqvist.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:22 pm

There's a lot of cheddar sitting in the ER,
This simply is not an excuse, especially at this time of the season! Good team have players that step up and fill in. Good teams know how to shut it down once they have a lead. Good teams do not let injuries become an excuse.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:29 pm

I don't remember who put it so eloquently... there's a difference between a reason and an excuse.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:26 pm

There's a lot of cheddar sitting in the ER,
This simply is not an excuse, especially at this time of the season! Good team have players that step up and fill in. Good teams know how to shut it down once they have a lead. Good teams do not let injuries become an excuse.
This reasoning is horseshit.

Good teams cannot survive if they are missing players who can make a meaningful impact in the lineup.

Especially a Norris candidate like Kris Letang, and Malkin, and Ehrhoff.

Injuries over the course of the season catch up. There's a reason the last 5 Cup winners are 27th, 29th, and 30th in terms of injuries over the course of those 5 years. Teams with injuries are going to have trouble sustaining play over the year, and when the playoffs come around, it becomes an issue of stamina and chemistry. So don't tell me that injuries aren't an "excuse".

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:46 am

I don't remember who put it so eloquently... there's a difference between a reason and an excuse.
I believe that was meow.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:10 pm

I don't agree. The past 2 weeks the team was capable of beating nearly any team, often jumping out to a 1-0, 2-0 lead. All they had to do was play solid defensive hockey and close those games out. Could not do. They were taking too many chances, trading shorts with the other team, not making the simple, easy play, losing their cool...those are the reasons they have been losing games. Not because Letang is out.

Did the team give up when Adam Graves slashed Mario out of the playoffs? No. Others stepped up their games and got the job done. That's what good teams do.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:13 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Source of the post Did the team give up when Adam Graves slashed Mario out of the playoffs? No. Others stepped up their games and got the job done. That's what good teams do.
That kind of helps when you have Jagr, Murphy, Stevens, Francis, and Tocchet waiting in the wings. Can you honestly say that the Pens have players who even come close to that, especially with our version of Murphy currently sidelined?

Not to mention that it's a completely different game now. Also not to mention that Lemieux was (from what I can tell) the only player who was dealing with injury. When you're missing 2/3 of your top 4 defensemen (Letang, Ehrhoff, Maatta), a top center (Malkin), and a top line winger (Dupuis) for most of the year, you're going to run into problems. Not to mention all of the other injuries the Pens ran into this year (Comeau's wrist, Hornqvist's leg injury(s), the mumps, Bennett's knees, etc.).

I think you're really far off base here.