What If The Pens Dont Make The Playoffs?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 am

Rossi pretty much said that the Pens wont have both Crosby and Malkin on the roster next season. That neither have respect for the coach or the team that has been put around them......
Rossi is totally making things up. He was asked questions on the fan, then proceeds to start everything with "I think______________(finish outlandish statement)". Its made up out of the air just like he made up that Burkle and Mario will sell the team after this season. Yea, that makes sense when the former Mellon Arena site is finally to be developed and in turn be a huge cash cow for Mario and Burkle. Ignore his comments, none come from any sort of fact, they are all educated guesses

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:42 am

Ignore his comments, none come from any sort of fact, they are all educated uneducated guesses

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 am

The way this team has played you think that trading one of Malkin / Crosby is out of the realm of possibility?

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:45 am

The way this team has played you think that trading one of Malkin / Crosby is out of the realm of possibility?
No. It's just that they would make the wrong choice.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

No. It's just that they would make the wrong choice.
Agreed. Gotta keep making those jersey sales.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:51 am

Yeah, of the two, it would be Malkin getting moved. Can't market him as well as Crosby. :roll:

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 am

Rossi pretty much said that the Pens wont have both Crosby and Malkin on the roster next season. That neither have respect for the coach or the team that has been put around them......
Rossi is gay.
I caught a tweet from someone on 590AM that Malkin for Kessel+ could be a possibility.....

"Doug MacLean is on 590 right now floating the idea that, if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, a Malkin for Kessel+ deal is a possibility."
I would quit following the Pens if that trade happens although I find the idea ridiculous.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:54 am

Rossi is gay.
I caught a tweet from someone on 590AM that Malkin for Kessel+ could be a possibility.....

"Doug MacLean is on 590 right now floating the idea that, if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, a Malkin for Kessel+ deal is a possibility."
I would quit following the Pens if that trade happens although I find the idea ridiculous.
I agree. I'd rather see young stars on low priced contracts + picks. That being said, that no movement clause could just be another Heatley situation.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am

I feel the same way. I dont want Kessel at 8M a year.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:12 am

Last season in the Rangers series, I got the sense that Crosby and maybe Malkin were just kind of over that coaching regime. I don't get that sense this year. Both have played hard and played well down the stretch (for Malkin, at least when he's been healthy). I could see them being upset with their teammates, but what competitive athlete wouldn't be in this scenario? I don't think the Pens will or should trade either.

Burkle and Lemieux cashing out would make some sense, though.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 am

I feel the same way. I dont want Kessel at 8M a year.
This reeks of wishful thinking by Toronto media to me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 am

The Maple Leafs could offer their entire roster and retain all of their salaries and I still wouldn't want to make that trade.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:18 am

Last season in the Rangers series, I got the sense that Crosby and maybe Malkin were just kind of over that coaching regime. I don't get that sense this year. Both have played hard and played well down the stretch (for Malkin, at least when he's been healthy). I could see them being upset with their teammates, but what competitive athlete wouldn't be in this scenario? I don't think the Pens will or should trade either.
Good point. Last season we had a clip of Crosby yelling at Bylsma. This season we have a clip of Malkin yelling at Comeau. Big difference.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:19 am

The weird thing about all of this? I was a huge Letang hater until this year, Letang is probably the least expendable person given his injury history too. Without him the team looks like it's in shambles.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:30 am

The weird thing about all of this? I was a huge Letang hater until this year, Letang is probably the least expendable person given his injury history too. Without him the team looks like it's in shambles.
It's another one of the weird things about this season. Letang, whom I would have traded instead of re-signing, seems to have finally put everything together and become a legit Norris candidate d-man, when healthy anyhow. Fleury, who has been a prominent and deserved whipping boy for the past several years, has finally put everything together and might very well be the team's MVP. And yet this season has still gone completely off the rails...

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

It's another one of the weird things about this season. Letang, whom I would have traded instead of re-signing, seems to have finally put everything together and become a legit Norris candidate d-man, when healthy anyhow. Fleury, who has been a prominent and deserved whipping boy for the past several years, has finally put everything together and might very well be the team's MVP. And yet this season has still gone completely off the rails...
Right. So it isn't Letang, he's playing to his paygrade. It isn't Fleury, he's had a great year. And I don't know how anyone can look at Sid or Geno and say they aren't trying, at least these past 2 or 3 months. Sid on top in scoring, Geno just works his ass off. It's sad, because the way this team looked especially after the Perron trade, it seemed like they could only keep going up. But it's the supporting cast that's been total crap.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:52 am

Rossi is gay.

I agree. I'd rather see young stars on low priced contracts + picks. That being said, that no movement clause could just be another Heatley situation.
Show me a deal for Crosby or Malkin for "stars on low priced contracts and picks" that makes the Pens a better team.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:56 am

Right. So it isn't Letang, he's playing to his paygrade. It isn't Fleury, he's had a great year. And I don't know how anyone can look at Sid or Geno and say they aren't trying, at least these past 2 or 3 months. Sid on top in scoring, Geno just works his ass off. It's sad, because the way this team looked especially after the Perron trade, it seemed like they could only keep going up. But it's the supporting cast that's been total crap.
The biggest issue with Letang is going to be can he stay healthy. He has proven this season that is a big question mark. If he is out with concussions that is a big part of the D that you cant replace.

I think if you are going to trade one of Malkin, Crosby, or Letang you trade Letang just because of his health issues.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:59 am

That's the most reasonable position on trading the three IMO. It's a cutthroat business and if you conclude based on the medical evidence they have that his heart and head carry too much risk, then I can understand tht decision (not that we'd know they traded him because of that because they could never admit it).

Trading them for hockey reasons is stupid IMO, because I don't see a deal that works and makes us a better team.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:05 am

it's hard to imagine a scenario where:

a) letang is still playing in the NHL by the end of his contract
b) he lasts through 4 playoff rounds in a given year

he's so damn good, but he's damaged goods. don't think there's anything we can do about it, though.

it's a good thing we really showed philly what's what after rinaldo derailed his season.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

Show me a deal for Crosby or Malkin for "stars on low priced contracts and picks" that makes the Pens a better team.
Malkin ($9.5 until 22/23) to NYI
Tavares ($5.5 until 17/18) and Hamonic ($3.857 until 20/21) to PIT

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:15 am

I guess Slappy should have said a trade another team would make.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:15 am

That would be awful.

Re: Malkin for Kessel +

meow

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 am

I guess Slappy should have said a trade another team would make.
That wasn't in the rules, Factorial!

meow

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 am

That would be awful.

Re: Malkin for Kessel +
You want Phil the Thrill over John Tavares? Hachi machi