Meow's Morning Meeting - 4-1-15 vs. PHI

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

This team is declining going into the playoffs, if it even makes it in. These kinds of teams generally lose fast in the playoffs, and people afterwards generally say "not surprised, since they were declining heading into the playoffs.
The Islanders (who are more or less guaranteed to be our opponent) have the same record we do over their last 10 (3-6-1).

With the way BOTH teams are going, anything can happen in the 1st round.
I don't think more or less guaranteed is an accurate statement at all... pens caps and isles are all within a single point...

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:55 pm

All part of the plan to draw Montreal/Tampa in the first round and not have to face a Metro team until ECF.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 pm

the last win we had against a legitimately good team was on March 6 against the ducks. the last time we beat a team ahead of us in the standings in the east was January 10.

i wasn't really fooled when we were squeaking out W's against marginal teams like SJ and bottom feeders like ARI. we haven't showed the ability to compete with the teams we'll be facing once the playoffs start. right now, i expect us to lose to the islanders in 5-6 games.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 pm

This team is declining going into the playoffs, if it even makes it in. These kinds of teams generally lose fast in the playoffs, and people afterwards generally say "not surprised, since they were declining heading into the playoffs.
The Islanders (who are more or less guaranteed to be our opponent) have the same record we do over their last 10 (3-6-1).

Yay! So we get eaten alive in the 2nd round this year! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

:)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:54 pm

It's 2PM, tickets have still not sold out for game 1 and 2 of the playoffs.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:58 pm

And I'm guessing they won't. People are taking a wait and see approach. There is still a chance (albeit slim) they won't make the playoffs.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 pm

And I'm guessing they won't. People are taking a wait and see approach. There is still a chance (albeit slim) they won't make the playoffs.
I just watched them flail on the ice in poor fashion last night. No way am I going to spend $200+ today to watch that circus in the coming weeks.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:10 pm

In the German Bundesliga football/soccer league, German teams stay on the pitch/field after the game to thank the fans and also let them spit vile if need be. All teams (no matter the league) at least go & thank their fans post-game by either walking to the away section & thanking them (if they're away) or doing some brief shows of gratitude at home.

I can't imagine the reaction to the Pens post-game after efforts like this.

Sarcastic

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:12 pm

letang and malkin are extremely important, so i'm not going to make too many judgements about this one.

but i'll say this...when our top guys aren't making an impact, the rest of the team shuts down. this is a pretty consistent phenomenon. i don't think you want the top and bottom of the lineup to share a brain like that. maybe there needs to be a kind of "captain" of that group who can pull everyone up by their boot straps. sutter actually seems to be more spunky lately...maybe he's priming himself for that role. but like almost everyone else, he only played for 10 minutes last night.
And what does that say about the rest of the guys or how management evaluates players? It's not like we spend crazy money on elite wingers. We didn't have Perron at start. Going into the season we actually had just Horny as top-6 to go along with the "hope" 35-year old Kunitz (poor past season) and Dupuis (everyone's favorite 3rd liner) can provide the rest of the scoring. Who manages the lineup like that? I wasn't confident looking at the roster entering the season, but it's gotten worse than I imagined.

Sarcastic

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Standings aside, I'm worried about playing Isles in that they're a faster team and can overwhelm us. Last night we couldn't stand up to the non-playoff Flyers. I think Isles are better.

Sarcastic

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:14 pm

the last win we had against a legitimately good team was on March 6 against the ducks. the last time we beat a team ahead of us in the standings in the east was January 10.

i wasn't really fooled when we were squeaking out W's against marginal teams like SJ and bottom feeders like ARI. we haven't showed the ability to compete with the teams we'll be facing once the playoffs start. right now, i expect us to lose to the islanders in 5-6 games.
Well, that's not good. As if we suck or something.

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm

This is pretty much how i feel as well. This team isn't good. This is an average team that had a hot start and has been treading water ever since. I expect a first round exit in 5 or 6 against whoever we play.

It actually doesn't really bother me. I've viewed this year as a rebuilding year from the start and next year is the year this team makes a step forward. They do that by having their top 4 defenseman (Pouliot, Lovejoy, Letang, Maatta) making roughly 13.2 million between them. That affords a lot of depth at forward and will open the door for another deep playoff run.

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:31 pm

This is pretty much how i feel as well. This team isn't good. This is an average team that had a hot start and has been treading water ever since. I expect a first round exit in 5 or 6 against whoever we play.

It actually doesn't really bother me. I've viewed this year as a rebuilding year from the start and next year is the year this team makes a step forward. They do that by having their top 4 defenseman (Pouliot, Lovejoy, Letang, Maatta) making roughly 13.2 million between them. That affords a lot of depth at forward and will open the door for another deep playoff run.
I hope they can get Cole at an afforable rate like 1.5 or something like that, i like his game. Solid bottom 6 guy, has potential to be a a second pairing as well.

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:14 pm

I hope they can get Cole at an afforable rate like 1.5 or something like that, i like his game. Solid bottom 6 guy, has potential to be a a second pairing as well.
Definitely

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:21 pm

I've viewed this year as a rebuilding year from the start and next year is the year this team makes a step forward. They do that by having their top 4 defenseman (Pouliot, Lovejoy, Letang, Maatta) making roughly 13.2 million between them. That affords a lot of depth at forward and will open the door for another deep playoff run.
Definitely
I just hope that Maatta's shoulder isn't f'd... first they kept playing him last year when he was obviously injured, then he probably came back too early this year... would be a damn shame if it's going to be a chronic issue.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:46 pm

I know the Islanders seem to be fading down the stretch too but the thing is they haven't played the Penguins.

Sarcastic

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:52 pm

You're more optimistic than I am. I just look at how this organization has handled itself since Sid got drafted. It systematically crumbled down over the last 5 or 6 years and it goes to the top. Bad philosophy. Bad management. I don't have much hope left. Letang, Pouliot and Maataa are nice (notice I'm leaving Lovejoy out because he's a dime a dozen), but the big issues are forwards and coach. Not sold on the coach. The forward group is a mess. Pens need two new top 6 wingers, while finding a way to trade Kunitz and Dupuis (I think he'll try to come back and fit in) and I'm not sure that'll be possible. You know, I'll just go into next season like this one. Some fun, but no expectations. There is too much to be done and I'm not even sure that upper management sees the problem.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:02 pm

I liked the part when there was a picture of a man in a suit but his head was a cat head.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:19 pm

I liked the part when there was a picture of a man in a suit but his head was a cat head.
You mean that wasnt an actual pic of Meow?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Hate to say it but a team with a 2nd pairing of Pouliot and Lovejoy ain't going very far next year either

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 pm

You mean that wasnt an actual pic of Meow?
That's classified

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:51 pm

I think we can all agree Bortuzzo for Cole is borderline highway robbery

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 pm

I think we can all agree Bortuzzo for Cole is borderline highway robbery
Unfortunately, Despres for Lovejoy is still a thing... So it evens out I guess?

bhaw

Postby bhaw » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 am

Source of the post Unfortunately, Despres for Lovejoy is still a thing... So it evens out I guess?
I prefer to remain mad at this over focusing on getting routed by the Flyers again.